Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I wanted to see what kind of recipes or dishes everyone has been making and eating post surgery. I like to cook and would like some ideas on low carb high Protein meals. Hopefully I can get the whole household on board if I make it appealing and delicious. All ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance 😁

My latest recipe is to take a can of tuna or salmon, drain it and put it in a bowl. Add mashed avocado and Everything But the Bagel seasoning. You can eat it straight out of the bowl, put in a lettuce wrap or on saltines.

There are actual cook books for gastric sleeve/bypass people on Amazon. I bought several.

I don’t have any suggestions because I am the opposite of you. I don’t really like to cook but I’m getting board with the handful of things I do make so I’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions as well. The one thing I swear by of you haven’t heard of it yet is for the purée phase. It’s the ricotta bake.

On 04/26/2022 at 13:08, Splenda said:

My latest recipe is to take a can of tuna or salmon, drain it and put it in a bowl. Add mashed avocado and Everything But the Bagel seasoning. You can eat it straight out of the bowl, put in a lettuce wrap or on saltines.

Tuna is not my friend anymore. I tried it on while on my purée diet and my stomach was in knots. Pretty mad about it because I love tuna.< /p>

1 minute ago, Youngblood said:

tuna is not my friend anymore. I tried it on while on my purée diet and my stomach was in knots. Pretty mad about it because I love tuna.< /p>

I use canned red salmon way more than I use tuna for that recipe.

On 04/26/2022 at 13:16, liveaboard15 said:

There are actual cook books for gastric sleeve/bypass people on Amazon. I bought several.

I will definitely be purchasing some myself. I’m just such a picky eater I’d probably only like 3 meals from a 50 page cookbook.

On 04/26/2022 at 13:17, ShoppGirl said:

I don’t have any suggestions because I am the opposite of you. I don’t really like to cook but I’m getting board with the handful of things I do make so I’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions as well. The one thing I swear by of you haven’t heard of it yet is for the purée phase. It’s the ricotta bake.

That is actually the phase I’m in right now. I guess I’m just getting all excited about cooking again soon lol. I’m having withdrawals from actually chewing food.< /p>

check out the blog "The World According to Eggface". She's a long-time bariatric patient and is very active in the international bariatric community. She also loves to cook, and she has recipes on her site for all the different phases.

I was an avid home cook and baker before surgery and am happy to announce I still am after. There's plenty of things we can cook and eat post op still once you're back to eating regular foods. I do Protein Pasta with a protein of some kind, I did almond flour crust Pizzas, I've done veggie bowls, omelets, burrito bowls, bariatric friendly cake and brownies, broccoli cheddar Soup. My fave right now is a bariatric friendly Cobb bowl since I can't eat raw leafy vegetables yet. It has baked peppers and kale, wild rice, avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cheese, boiled egg, olives, vegetarian bacon and a dijon lemon garlic vegan dressing I make. Here's a pic of it. One bowl has about 22 grams of protein, good amount of Fiber too. 20220426_145754.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

21 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I was an avid home cook and baker before surgery and am happy to announce I still am after. There's plenty of things we can cook and eat post op still once you're back to eating regular foods. I do Protein Pasta with a Protein of some kind, I did almond flour crust Pizzas, I've done veggie bowls, omelets, burrito bowls, bariatric friendly cake and brownies, broccoli cheddar Soup. My fave right now is a bariatric friendly Cobb bowl since I can't eat raw leafy vegetables yet. It has baked peppers and kale, wild rice, avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cheese, boiled egg, olives, vegetarian bacon and a dijon lemon garlic vegan dressing I make. Here's a pic of it. One bowl has about 22 grams of protein, good amount of Fiber too. 20220426_145754.jpg

That looks delicious. Your photo reminded me of the “food before and after” thread where we can get some more ideas of what people are eating. I am more of a simple cook that likes five ingredients or less kind of recipes for everyday cooking. Anything with more than five ingredients is a special meal at our house, lol.

You’ll find that there are a lot of family favourite recipes you can modify pretty simply. As a few simple ideas to get you started:

On liquids - make a big pot of chicken & vegetable Soup. The family can eat it all while you strain your serve.

On purée - make soup again but just purée yours.

On soft - make spaghetti bolognese. You eat the sauce but no Pasta. You can add zucchini noodles for yourself later on & you may even find your family enjoys them too. meat balls are great too. Anything was gravies & sauces to keep things moist.

On solid - make pork or chicken laab. You eat the mince & herb component while your family can wrap them in the lettuce leaves. You can eat everything when you’re ready for leafy & raw vegetables.

Look for low fat, low carb recipes. Don’t be afraid to add herbs & spices as you can tolerate them. Look for healthier cooking methods. Air fry instead of deep fry. Bake instead of pan fry (I dry bake all my lamb cutlets & pork chops now & they cook in their own fats & juices). Steam or poach... etc. Choose trimmed, heart smart meats like a pork loin vs a leg of pork. Chicken thighs are tastier, more tender & easier to eat than breast meat. Make your own sauces so you can control the ingredients, how they are cooked & reduce how much processed foods you eat.

You will have to be a bit selective when it comes to which vegetables & when you can start eating them. Though I found if I slow cooked them in Soups, stews, etc. I could eat quite a variety from soft foods. Don’t be afraid to pick out & just eat the meat & the odd vegetable as you’re able for your meal while your family eats the whole dish.

On 04/26/2022 at 14:05, catwoman7 said:

check out the blog "The World According to Eggface". She's a long-time bariatric patient and is very active in the international bariatric community. She also loves to cook, and she has recipes on her site for all the different phases.

Thank you so much this is heaven sent. I checked it out and instantly fell in love thank you again.

On 04/26/2022 at 15:20, fourmonthspreop said:

I was an avid home cook and baker before surgery and am happy to announce I still am after. There's plenty of things we can cook and eat post op still once you're back to eating regular foods. I do Protein Pasta with a Protein of some kind, I did almond flour crust Pizzas, I've done veggie bowls, omelets, burrito bowls, bariatric friendly cake and brownies, broccoli cheddar Soup. My fave right now is a bariatric friendly Cobb bowl since I can't eat raw leafy vegetables yet. It has baked peppers and kale, wild rice, avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cheese, boiled egg, olives, vegetarian bacon and a dijon lemon garlic vegan dressing I make. Here's a pic of it. One bowl has about 22 grams of protein, good amount of Fiber too. 20220426_145754.jpg

This looks sooo yummy can’t wait to get to this phase.

On 04/26/2022 at 23:53, Arabesque said:

You’ll find that there are a lot of family favourite recipes you can modify pretty simply. As a few simple ideas to get you started:

On liquids - make a big pot of chicken & vegetable Soup. The family can eat it all while you strain your serve.

On purée - make Soup again but just purée yours.

On soft - make spaghetti bolognese. You eat the sauce but no Pasta. You can add zucchini noodles for yourself later on & you may even find your family enjoys them too. meat balls are great too. Anything was gravies & sauces to keep things moist.

On solid - make pork or chicken laab. You eat the mince & herb component while your family can wrap them in the lettuce leaves. You can eat everything when you’re ready for leafy & raw vegetables.

Look for low fat, low carb recipes. Don’t be afraid to add herbs & spices as you can tolerate them. Look for healthier cooking methods. Air fry instead of deep fry. Bake instead of pan fry (I dry bake all my lamb cutlets & pork chops now & they cook in their own fats & juices). Steam or poach... etc. Choose trimmed, heart smart meats like a pork loin vs a leg of pork. Chicken thighs are tastier, more tender & easier to eat than breast meat. Make your own sauces so you can control the ingredients, how they are cooked & reduce how much processed foods you eat.

You will have to be a bit selective when it comes to which vegetables & when you can start eating them. Though I found if I slow cooked them in Soups, stews, etc. I could eat quite a variety from soft foods. Don’t be afraid to pick out & just eat the meat & the odd vegetable as you’re able for your meal while your family eats the whole dish.

I love this idea because I don’t want to deprive the rest of the family because I’m not able to eat what they can. This way we are all eating the same just in a different way. Thank you!