Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls GRRRRR

I lost 50 lbs before surgery and have lost 46 since surgery (4.5 months ago). I KNOW from everything I've read here, in my support groups, and in the information provided to me by my bariatric center that stalls are normal and inevitable. BUT THEY STILL SUCK DONKEY BALLS!

I was losing about 9 lbs a month (rolling average) for the first 4 months, but since month 4, it's been just up and down the same two pounds. I'm TRYING to focus on the fact that I've gone from a 2x-3x to a large. I'm TRYING to focus on the fact that I can walk so much more quickly now. But I am so scared the weight loss has stopped.

I am trying to do exercises, but I hurt my arm and my doc told me to rest it for a while. I was then doing more treadmill, but my hip started to hurt like it did when I did treadmill every day before surgery. My eating is decent but not perfect (I eat out a lot due to traveling for work, so I know my meals aren't low fat). I'm drinking so much I have to pee every hour.

How long do stalls last and how do you know if you're in a stall or if your weight loss has STOPPED?

(sorry for the CAPS 🤪)

I have heard people who have had stalls last for up to six weeks on here and then the loss started again. I was worried that I was going into maintenance too but I am a little closer to “normal” BMI and I worry that my body is just happier at the higher end of that normal range. Honestly I will be thrilled if I get to my goal of normal BMI. I actually gained four pounds now (my grandma was in hospice and just passed away Monday so I was definitely eating more than I should) and I have a post op appointment today so I get to go In and face the NP knowing I haven’t lost much since my last visit 😢. This may sound crazy Or silly but can you clear a path to walk from one end of your house to the other? I have a tiny house and am surprised I haven’t worn out the wood laminate but I walk back and forth like this daily. I do it because the treadmill is hard on my knees and just walking in my house doesn’t hurt them.

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

I have heard people who have had stalls last for up to six weeks on here and then the loss started again. I was worried that I was going into maintenance too but I am a little closer to “normal” BMI and I worry that my body is just happier at the higher end of that normal range. Honestly I will be thrilled if I get to my goal of normal BMI. I actually gained four pounds now (my grandma was in hospice and just passed away Monday so I was definitely eating more than I should) and I have a post op appointment today so I get to go In and face the NP knowing I haven’t lost much since my last visit 😢. This may sound crazy Or silly but can you clear a path to walk from one end of your house to the other? I have a tiny house and am surprised I haven’t worn out the wood laminate but I walk back and forth like this daily. I do it because the treadmill is hard on my knees and just walking in my house doesn’t hurt them.

I'm sorry for your loss!

I only have a one bedroom apartment, and I do walk a lot around my apartment every day (multiple times an hour!) but it doesn't amount to much. I agree, treadmill is much harder on the joints than "natural" walking.

I have considered doing some step works (I have a step from exercise years ago) and I really SHOULD swim, but there's so much set up/break down time for swimming!

Right there with you, my surgery sister. I had a three-week stall and it made me insane. Then this week—WHOOOOOOSH. Three pounds practically overnight. Now, obviously there's something going on in there. I have a theory that the Epsom salt bath I took after a physically intense day reduced some inflammation, but who knows.

I am right there with you. I have been at a steady 2lb loss a week, and just in the last 2 weeks its come to a screeching halt. Still getting my Protein, fluids, and movement everyday, so I just have to chalk it up to part of the process. From what I've read, stalls can last a few weeks to a few months, just depending on the person. I'm trying really hard to not focus on the scale and just appreciate how far I've come and how much better I feel now vs. 5 months ago.

5 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I'm sorry for your loss!

I only have a one bedroom apartment, and I do walk a lot around my apartment every day (multiple times an hour!) but it doesn't amount to much. I agree, treadmill is much harder on the joints than "natural" walking.

I have considered doing some step works (I have a step from exercise years ago) and I really SHOULD swim, but there's so much set up/break down time for swimming!

Ooh how I wish I had access to an indoor pool. I live in south Florida so it’s almost always warm enough to swim but I had a melanoma so I can’t go in the sun. I love swimming and it’s great exercise but I hate having to get all lotioned up and wait for it to really dry just to swim for an hour and do it all over again.

49 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ooh how I wish I had access to an indoor pool. I live in south Florida so it’s almost always warm enough to swim but I had a melanoma so I can’t go in the sun. I love swimming and it’s great exercise but I hate having to get all lotioned up and wait for it to really dry just to swim for an hour and do it all over again.

I really should appreciate the pool more. I had gotten back into it before surgery and then I had to wait to start again... but I never started back!

I lived in Miami for 7 years and rarely swam - I always get sunburned.

My mom (an avid swimmer) bought a "rash guard" which is essentially a sun proof shirt that goes over your bathing suit, and I looked on Lands End and they have pants, too

2 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I really should appreciate the pool more. I had gotten back into it before surgery and then I had to wait to start again... but I never started back!

I lived in Miami for 7 years and rarely swam - I always get sunburned.

My mom (an avid swimmer) bought a "rash guard" which is essentially a sun proof shirt that goes over your bathing suit, and I looked on Lands End and they have pants, too

Definitely something to look into. Thanks.

I heartily concur!

It's been 22 weeks since starting my pre-op diet, and I've lost an average 1.2kg per week, which is basically what I was losing doing a regular calorie counting 1200-1500cal per day diet with exercise. I'm eating on average between 700 to 1200 calories per day (1200 is a *really* good day, but if I'm honest, I don't reach that often), always focused on Protein and Vitamins and Water. Frequent stalling. I've just accepted that it is what it is with me and my experience. All I can do is be grateful I'm currently where I am and just keep marching on.

I'm the smallest I've been in over two decades, and so I started the None To Run program again. I'm smaller than I was when I did it last time, so I though it'd be a doddle! And it was, I was having no trouble fitness-wise but I managed to completely f**k my left knee and have had to stay off it for this whole week. So trying to up my exercise to running instead of walking to help boost myself has stalled as well. It's a good thing I have a pervasive sense of humour!

So yep. These hurdles and stalls are super frustrating. It stalls were a physical entity, I'd kick it in the shins. Then probably hurt a toe.

Stalls can be 3-6 weeks generally speaking. Small fluctuations on the scale like that are typically Water weight, but just to be sure, make sure you're still tracking your food and staying on point as you ride this stall out.

I broke my stall this morning! Down 1.8 lbs since yesterday and down 1.6 since my last lowest weight, so I think the stall might actually be over. 😁

I am trying so hard to exercise but yesterday doing steps my knee started hurting, plus my hip is still hurting from the treadmill, and my arm is still hurting from the trainer I met with. I was going to swim, but then I realized that might be hard with my arm messed up... Last night I walked all over my apartment following @ShoppGirl's suggestion. It was nice. I was on the phone with my parents but still managed to get my calorie goal for the day (according to my Apple Watch).

12 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I broke my stall this morning! Down 1.8 lbs since yesterday and down 1.6 since my last lowest weight, so I think the stall might actually be over. 😁

I am trying so hard to exercise but yesterday doing steps my knee started hurting, plus my hip is still hurting from the treadmill, and my arm is still hurting from the trainer I met with. I was going to swim, but then I realized that might be hard with my arm messed up... Last night I walked all over my apartment following @ShoppGirl's suggestion. It was nice. I was on the phone with my parents but still managed to get my calorie goal for the day (according to my Apple Watch).

That’s exactly what I do. My husband usually checks in with me from work when he is eating his lunch and my mom calls at some point to vent about something most days and with both of them I answer the phone And get to walking. According to Apple Watch I am going fast enough to get exercise minutes in and I usually get around 45 on average per day.

my stalls seemed to be more frequent and lasted longer the farther out I got from surgery. After the first year, there were MANY times I thought "well, this is it", and then the weight loss would start up again. It finally stopped at 20 months out.

13 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

That’s exactly what I do. My husband usually checks in with me from work when he is eating his lunch and my mom calls at some point to vent about something most days and with both of them I answer the phone And get to walking. According to Apple Watch I am going fast enough to get exercise minutes in and I usually get around 45 on average per day.

LOL. I'm usually the one venting to my parents! My apple watch didn't have me going fast enough to get "exercise" minutes, but I can't really work up steam. I might try going into the hallways outside my apartment, but not on the phone!

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

LOL. I'm usually the one venting to my parents! My apple watch didn't have me going fast enough to get "exercise" minutes, but I can't really work up steam. I might try going into the hallways outside my apartment, but not on the phone!

I literally force my watch sometimes... scroll to Workouts, start the workout, because I want the credit!