Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking pot post-rny

Anybody know if it is okay or does it cause ulcers the way tobacco does?

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have heard of a few people that do it on here but I am not positive whether they asked their team to make sure it was wise. I would be very worried that it would make me overeat. I definitely would not do it real early our when portion size should be so tiny.

I'd keep on top of my PPIs regarding the ulcers. The studies I've read show smokers who do not take PPIs are at the highest risk of ulcers (I still smoke cigarettes, never smoked pot).

I can't speak to the munchies, I don't know how that works :)

Smoking hinders your healing. Don’t know if that’s specifically tobacco or if it includes pot, etc. too. Better to ask & avoid it for a few weeks then do it & extend or compromise your healing.

I am allergic to all Pain meds. I had cervical surgery and a knee replacement with just Tylenol- it was hell. I now have a medical marijuana card in my state - I only do it for pain so honestly not often except in cold for arthritis. I spoke to my surgeon about it as well as my pain Dr and they both said it is fine. They have some THC with CBD pain Patches at my pharmacy I am going to get those for the hospital they last 12 hours. I smoke either carts or through a Divinchi 2 - but again only when I have arthritis pain Tylenol won’t help. My sister had bypass 25 years ago and she is the one who talked me into getting my medical card. She lives in California so she’s used it for pain for years - she is fine. Marijuana doesn’t gender healing from what I have researched. 

4 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Smoking hinders your healing. Don’t know if that’s specifically tobacco or if it includes pot, etc. too. Better to ask & avoid it for a few weeks then do it & extend or compromise your healing.

I told everyone I switched to e-cigs prior to surgery. Which was only half true. Even as a self-pay, I didn't want to get in trouble for smoking cigarettes. I healed just fine, and I can outrun most. Will I give up smoking? Sure, at some point, it's bad for you. Is it realistic to ask someone to quit smoking AND lose 150 lbs? No. ;)

One health crisis at a time. Now at least I get to live to deal with the smoking ... :D

I don’t think e-cigarettes are “bad” for you maybe I am wrong. I don’t use them but I was a regular cigarette smoker in my teens but quit at 19 and never looked back. I have read some really good health benefits from Nicotine and I will use Glas vape once in awhile it helps with my anxiety a lot and it may be something I use more often to help then turning to food. I haven’t used anything in over 6 months but I personally don’t think vaping is bad. Like I said I may be proved wrong but I think it’s a much healthier alternative to real cigarettes for sure!

50 minutes ago, huskymama said:

I don’t think e-cigarettes are “bad” for you maybe I am wrong.

I'm pretty sure my Marlboro Reds are, though ;) My point was I told people I had switched to e-cigs, to get them off my back. I paid for my own surgery and I am adult with a masters degree in science, I understand the risk. I just also understand how insane it is to ask people to give up smoking AND lose weight prior to surgery. One health crisis at a time is how I approach it.

This is my beef with the old wives' tale about coffee dehydrating you, too. Why make it harder for patients to get to their surgery date / succeed on their post-op plan? If it was just a matter of 'not doing x', we'd all be thin and in perfect health ;)

Ahhh I see lol sorry I thought you stopped smoking and switched to vaping on your own I am happy you had the surgery and are alive to conquer the world now! I agree it is hard to give up everything at once and giving up cigarettes for me was terrible and I didn’t have e- cigarettes back then. I still dream of smoking so trust me I totally get what you are saying. I have given up coffee before surgery mainly because I’m terrified of acid reflux after surgery and I am hoping I can find some low acid coffee I like and add that back in. I have a sister who is in AA and they had her just focus on stopping drinking and worry about her cigarette addiction later. They said in rehab that her stopping everything at once set her up for failure and so I completely understand where you are coming from. I really admire you and all the people that are so determined if their insurance doesn’t cover it they pay out of pocket. I think that is the first step to success right there! I am lucky and my insurance is covering it but hats off for sure to you

3 minutes ago, huskymama said:

They said in rehab that her stopping everything at once set her up for failure and so I completely understand where you are coming from.

Absolutely no problem, I guess I wasn't very clear :D

Yeah, I used to be very all-or-nothing, but I realized it was really what made me fail (and gain weight). You know the drill, start exercising, no carbs, bed at 10pm ... and when one thing fails, the whole thing fails.

Last year, I focused on getting my mind in the right place. This year has been about fixing obesity. Next year ... well, next year I think I'm just going to enjoy my life :)

Oh I love that! Same with me I was raw vegan the past year and loosing a feeling great I even became a cherries vegan nutritionist then my mother had a bunch of health problems and starting in June of this year I was back and forth to Missouri to help her. I got Covid late July - even though I was vaccinated and ended in pneumonia. My goal in January was loose my weight by the end of the year or get the sleeve. Life happened and kicked my butt this year so 3 months ago I called a bariatric surgeon and I got in this Weds for the sleeve. But I get the focusing on the mind I feel being a raw vegan put me vibrationally and spiritually in a different vibration and I have been working with a therapist to work through my eating disorders and issues with my mother. I feel this step is the next step but you are so right it is so important to focus on getting your mind in the right place. Sounds to me like you are really heading in the right direction! Next year is going to be such an amazing year! I can’t wait and am really looking forward to the next phase in my journey!!!

Self-love was what I got out of group therapy for my eating issues. That's really what it all comes down to. Would I treat someone in my care like this? No. Why am I doing it to myself, then?

I have COVID right now, as it were. I guess the timing is pretty awesome, I'll be ready for Christmas :) Went for a walk on the beach in the cold today, was awesome to get some air!

Oh, and btw: all kinds of good luck on your journey ahead! Remember, it's not about being perfect, it's about heading in the right direction.

I love that! Self love is hard one for me that I need to work harder on. I guess most of us here need that. I sure hope you get over Covid soon it tried to kill me. I do think the vaccine did it’s job - kept me from the hospital and from dying. Walking on the beach sounds great and the fresh air does make you feel better. Thank you on the advice - I am looking forward to having “me” back and the first thing I want to start doing is riding my horses again followed by Hiking. My long life dream is to hike the Appalachian Trail and I plan to head out 2023 and accomplish that goal.

1 minute ago, huskymama said:

Self love is hard one for me that I need to work harder on.

I think it finally clicked when I realized fat me had every right to live a full life. Oddly, that was what it took to move forward. Loving fat me. I still love that dude. Life was on hard mode when your BMI is 50 and I actually managed it.

It's a lot easier looking like what I look like now.