Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden low energy at night

I'm 2.5 months out from VSG.

Per my NUT's guidance, I'm eating 1000-1400 cal a day, and balanced between Protein, carbs, and fat. (About 120P/120C/55F per day.)

I find that by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m., I am just done for the day. No energy to do anything. No laundry folding, no cleaning, no nothing, I just need to sit down and rest, and I'm usually in bed by 10:00 p.m. (also unusual).

I had my bloods done by my PCP, at my request. Everything is fine, except my iron-binding capacity is just south of the low end of the reference range (but my Iron itself is fine). No issues with B12, Calcium, or D.

I'm very active, but not any more active than I was four weeks ago.

Any ideas what's going on here?

I’m 5 months out and recently had the same issue if just feeling drained. My blood work showed my Iron being a little low so I added in a chewable Bariatric Fusion iron every other day and noticed improvement. I guess after surgery we can be at risk of anemia so it made sense. Hopefully you can get it figured out ASAP!

your surgeon would have said something if they were worried about your iron-binding level. Usually if something is just a little above or below the normal range, they don't really get too excited about it.

how is your ferritin level?

if that's normal, your tiredness is probably just normal. I think I was more tired than usual for the first 3-4 months.

I remember having a real slump in energy about half way along so around 3 or 4 months. Remember almost falling asleep on my treadmill one day. Sounds crazy but my eyes were literally drooping & I was starting to stumble. Got off that machine straight away. For the first time in decades I was sleeping more than 5 hours a night. Eight - 9 hours became my norm. (Annoyingly my sleep has become poor again recently - grrrr!).

Sleep is a great healer & a way for the body to manage stress. Listen to your body. If it says you need to slow down, slow down. Try some electrolyte drinks for a boost of energy - I drank them almost every day for months. My energy did come back.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

your surgeon would have said something if they were worried about your iron-binding level. Usually if something is just a little above or below the normal range, they don't really get too excited about it.

how is your ferritin level?

if that's normal, your tiredness is probably just normal. I think I was more tired than usual for the first 3-4 months.

Ferritin is 70 on a reference range of 38-380.

My surgeon, bless his heart, refuses to pull labs until a year out. My PCP pulled these for me at my request.

It just seemed sudden. I was super high-energy and then... fwump.

18 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

I find that by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m., I am just done for the day.

Try a snack in the evening that includes dairy and fruit, such as 1/4-1/2 C fat-free greek yogurt or cottage cheese with some berries. I find that that gives me an energy boost and eliminates pre-bedtime craving.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, vikingbeast said:

I'm 2.5 months out from VSG.

Per my NUT's guidance, I'm eating 1000-1400 cal a day, and balanced between Protein, carbs, and fat. (About 120P/120C/55F per day.)

I find that by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m., I am just done for the day. No energy to do anything. No laundry folding, no cleaning, no nothing, I just need to sit down and rest, and I'm usually in bed by 10:00 p.m. (also unusual).

I had my bloods done by my PCP, at my request. Everything is fine, except my iron-binding capacity is just south of the low end of the reference range (but my Iron itself is fine). No issues with B12, Calcium, or D.

I'm very active, but not any more active than I was four weeks ago.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Looking at your stats, you've lost 100# in 2.5 months?

1 minute ago, LadyH said:

Looking at your stats, you've lost 100# in 2.5 months?

No. 100 from my heaviest. 79 from my first consultation. 70 from pre op diet. And 61 since surgery 2.5 months ago.

1 minute ago, vikingbeast said:

No. 100 from my heaviest. 79 from my first consultation. 70 from pre op diet. And 61 since surgery 2.5 months ago.

Thanks--that info is very helpful!