Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

wondering if anyone else has a similar experience: some days I can eat no problem and other days the sight of food repulses me. Some days I hit 60 grams of Protein other days I barely get to 40. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

I was almost never hungry and had little to no interest in food until I was about five months out, when my hunger came back. I loved it and wished my hunger had never come back! It felt so liberating not having food on my mind all the time for about the first time in my life, and it was so easy to lose weight when I didn't give a hoot about food!. So..."enjoy" it while it lasts...

as far as the Protein goes, getting that and your fluids are your #1 goals right now, so do whatever you can to make sure you're meeting requirements.

I’m 5 weeks post op from lap band conversion to gastric bypass and my hunger has already returned. I wish it hadn’t. I can eat without problems. I haven’t had any dumping problems. Is it weird that I wished I had dumping so it might deter me from eating. I’m good with my portions but I feel like I get hungry too soon. I get my Water, Protein and Vitamins like I’m supposed to. Just thought I’d have more problems with eating. Maybe because my stomach wasn’t a virgin stomach. I had the lap band for 11 years. Who knows.

18 hours ago, MaureenA said:

Hi all,

wondering if anyone else has a similar experience: some days I can eat no problem and other days the sight of food repulses me. Some days I hit 60 grams of Protein other days I barely get to 40. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

It's not unusual. If you can handle/tolerate Protein Shakes, then find some very high Protein ones (I am partial to the Premier Protein 30g premade protein shakes, but to each their own). If you can get to the place where you drink two shakes per day that get you to your protein goal, then you can get through the days that you aren't that hungry.

On most mornings, I mix a 30g Premier Protein vanilla premade shake with two scoops of Chike protein coffee (20g protein). Then I get 50g of protein in a 16 oz drink. Find ways to maximize protein in the smallest amount of food.

Like @catwoman7, I wasn’t hungry or interested in eating either. (Hunger didn’t really come back until into my 2nd year.) I realised I had to eat to meet my Protein goals so I started to eat to routine. Over time it changed my relationship with food. I began looking at food as something my body needed to function not that I just wanted to eat for an emotional effect. I still have days or times I don’t feel hungry but I still eat 3 ‘meals’ a day (drop snacks) & focus on the protein component. Instead of a full meal I might graze on a high protein yoghurt or I’ll just have meat but no vegetables or salad.

Would you say you are still averaging 60g of protein a day across a week? If I have a lower protein day I try to exceed my goal the next day. Do you still drink Protein Shakes? Maybe on non hungry days, sip on a Protein Shake instead of a meal. Not as filling, you can sip on it for ages & good protein. Or make your own smoothie with high protein yoghurt & Protein Powder. It may take a little trial & error to find what you can eat that’s not as repulsive on those days.