Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!! Today I had my first weigh in appt after the consultation. It sucked…. I did not lose any weight. The doctor thinks it’s because I’m either consuming too much Protein or the type of protein. I was drinking 3-4 Protein Drinks a day due to my wonky job schedule. I’ve been drinking Premier Protein and protein2O. My doctor said that he’s noticed that the patients that drink the premier protein are either not losing or they are gaining. This was really frustrating being that I have been diligently working hard at losing weight. So I will now only drink 1 protein Water and 1 Protein Shake a day. My questions are… what Protein Shakes are y’all drinking during the pre-op weight loss phase? Has anyone noticed an increase in weight with the premier protein? They keep pushing Bariatric Advantage, but I fearful because my stomach is ultra sensitive to some dairy things.

im really trying hard to not get discouraged. I would help to hear others difficulties during this phase to know that I am not alone or weird. Thanks a lot.

Trying to live a good life

I swear I live on the Fairlife stuff... it's milk, so if you're lactose intolerant that won't work for you, but it tastes like the chocolate milk that we used to get from this amazing (and sadly defunct) dairy in northeastern Pennsylvania. And it's 26g Protein per 14 oz.! I buy it at Safeway or Sprouts or Target.

.Um... I doubt that the brand of Protein Drinks is the reason. What are you eating besides the Protein drinks? If the majority of your calories are from food and not a Protein Drink, that's likely the issue. I use both Premier Protein and fairlife nutrition plan (or fairlife core power, if I'm out). I also tried muscle milk light, but they're pretty gross. They all are around the same, nutrition wise, although the source of protein is different, and premier protein has added Vitamins and minerals. I tried a lot of other protein drinks - like vegan ones and powdered ones - but the tastes/textures were intolerable to me.

Also... you probably shouldn't be eating 3-4 protein drinks a day unless that's what your doctor/dietician has recommended. It's more protein than you need and that can cause problems. Try one protein drink and two healthy meals. If you are working shift work, that's really hard, but try to "meal prep" to have things for a whole week or buy things that are easy to bring with you, like string cheese, deli meat, tunafish, cut up bell peppers or cucumbers, nuts, etc.

Edited by lizonaplane

I drink Optimum Nutrition whey Protein. We have the strawberry and double chocolate. My husband is a a body builder - it is what he drinks to shred and what I drink to lose weight while getting all required protein per day.

1 hour ago, Tysheena84 said:

I was drinking 3-4 Protein Drinks a day

Is this all u are consuming each day? Or are you eating/drinking stuff on top of this?

I am pescatarian and eat 2 meals a day. My day usually consist of: Protein Shake for Breakfast, fish and veggies for lunch and dinner. My Snacks are cucumbers, avocados, nuts, etc. I log everything I put in my mouth down to my Vitamins. I meet with my nutritionist on Wednesday so I can her take on it. I agree that I am more than likely taking in too much Protein which is stalling my weight loss vs. the brand. So 1 protein shake or protein Water a day for me.

For those who had the surgery… did you encounter any let downs or difficulties during that phase.

I drank Slimfast Premiere Protein. I liked the taste better than the others.

2 minutes ago, Tysheena84 said:

I am pescatarian and eat 2 meals a day. My day usually consist of: Protein Shake for Breakfast, fish and veggies for lunch and dinner. My Snacks are cucumbers, avocados, nuts, etc. I log everything I put in my mouth down to my Vitamins. I meet with my nutritionist on Wednesday so I can her take on it. I agree that I am more than likely taking in too much Protein which is stalling my weight loss vs. the brand. So 1 Protein shake or protein Water a day for me.

For those who had the surgery… did you encounter any let downs or difficulties during that phase.

I didn't lose much during the pre-op diet, but I didn't expect to. I had already lost almost 50 lbs, and the preop diet wasn't that different than what I was already doing it except slightly more extreme in terms of low carb and low fat. I still got to eat real food. I lost a few lbs in two weeks. In the two weeks since surgery, I've lost about 12-13 lbs.

I wasn't expecting to be hungry after surgery, but I am more hungry now than I was pre-op. I have heard this gets better once you get to eat solid food. I sure hope that's true!

Good luck!

I lost weight just fine pre-op drinking Premier Protein. Our plan was 3-4 shakes a day, plus 1 fruit snack and one real meal (3-6 oz lean Protein & a serving of veggies). I lost weight just fine, as did my husband who went along with the pre-op diet to make it easier on me). I'm still using it post surgery even though it tastes too sweet though I also use Unjury Protein Powder mixed with unsweetened soy milk. I really like the Unjury chocolate Splendor flavor; the vanilla and strawberry are also nice.

I find it hard to believe that the Protein Shake brand is the problem when so many people do just fine with it.

Nuts and avocados are high in fat and high in calories (1 g of fat is 9 cal)... check your portion sizes and switch to something else maybe.

8 minutes ago, Queen ApisM said:

I lost weight just fine pre-op drinking Premier Protein. Our plan was 3-4 shakes a day, plus 1 fruit snack and one real meal (3-6 oz lean Protein & a serving of veggies). I lost weight just fine, as did my husband who went along with the pre-op diet to make it easier on me). I'm still using it post surgery even though it tastes too sweet though I also use Unjury Protein Powder mixed with unsweetened soy milk. I really like the Unjury chocolate Splendor flavor; the vanilla and strawberry are also nice.

I find it hard to believe that the Protein Shake brand is the problem when so many people do just fine with it.

That is what I was saying. So you only ate 1 real meal a day. I think that’s where I am going wrong. I’m drinking 3-4 Protein drinks (shakes and water) and eating 2 real meals a day. I usually mix my shakes in my coffee as the Creamer, sugar, and all. I’m really hoping that the nutritionist can offer some more advice because I am really trying hard to not feel discouraged. The doctor said we just want to see you lose “some” weight before surgery.

By the way…. I am still in the working up process. I do anticipate a lot of weight during the 2 week liquid diet liver shrinking phase.

12 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

Nuts and avocados are high in fat and high in calories (1 g of fat is 9 cal)... check your portion sizes and switch to something else maybe.

I was going to ask my nutritionist. I am already a very picky eater. When I show my good log to the doctor it’s all good, but I didn’t lose. It’s so frustrating.

3 hours ago, Tysheena84 said:

That is what I was saying. So you only ate 1 real meal a day. I think that’s where I am going wrong. I’m drinking 3-4 Protein Drinks (shakes and water) and eating 2 real meals a day. I usually mix my shakes in my coffee as the Creamer, sugar, and all. I’m really hoping that the nutritionist can offer some more advice because I am really trying hard to not feel discouraged. The doctor said we just want to see you lose “some” weight before surgery.

By the way…. I am still in the working up process. I do anticipate a lot of weight during the 2 week liquid diet liver shrinking phase.

If they have you eating multiple meals then I can imagine the shakes might be too much, but hopefully the nutritionist can help you figure it out! I'll admit, I really didn't incorporate shakes in the lead up to my pre-op diet, but I did try some out. I also did a terrible job losing weight before the pre-op diet so take that with a grain of salt. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Queen ApisM said:

If they have you eating multiple meals then I can imagine the shakes might be too much, but hopefully the nutritionist can help you figure it out! I'll admit, I really didn't incorporate shakes in the lead up to my pre-op diet, but I did try some out. I also did a terrible job losing weight before the pre-op diet so take that with a grain of salt. 🙂

I appreciate your transparency. I still have 8 weeks left until we set a date… I guess. So I will just doing the best I know how and listen to the nutritionist.

Also... how are you preparing the fish? Are you breading it? Frying it? Broiling it? Poaching it? Are you using sweet or fatty sauces? This can all make a difference. What veggies are you eating and how are you preparing them?

I think it will be very helpful to discuss with the nutritionist. Good luck!