Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau??? Help....

Hello, I am almost 5 months out from surgery. I have been steadily losing every week. Up until about 3 weeks ago. I have only lost 2 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I know everyone says plateaus are common, but finding myself getting disappointed. I am following my plan, eating enough Protein, watching calories. Maybe not enough Water? trying though... Any words of encouragement or personal knowledge. ( I am on my feet all day at work and in need of a knee replacement, so lots of exercise is hard) :(

Just keep doing what you’re doing. Sounds like you’re doing fine. Maybe only weigh once a month or every two weeks, just so you won’t get disappointed every time. If you do want to add some exercise on your days off, I would suggest something like swimming. But mostly I would suggest weight training. By adding more muscle, you’ll burn more calories and it’s just better for your overall health. Maybe start with your upper body?

I'm in the same boat as you right now (and just posted about it in my own thread that I started and use for my own updates). I am about 4 months out. Watching my Protein and calories too and yet the last time I had a loss was Aug 28th!!! Since then my weight has even gone up from 251.6 to fluctuating between 256 and 258!! Not sure why. Now I have had my period the last week and I also had my Metformin dose cut down in half so who knows what the heck is going on! If one or both things may be contributing.......or not. Frustrating nonetheless especially when you know you're doing all the right things.

They happen. It will break when your body is ready. You don’t have to change a thing you’re doing. Just stick to your plan.

I am 7 weeks out from surgery and have been stuck at 225. After reading all the above I just have to be patient. And will definitely get more exercise in.I started at 238 so at my heaviest when I got my lapband back in 2010 I was 268 so I suppose 225 is better than 238. Still is a bit frustrating though.

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

So after what I wrote above on Sunday, I decided to take some Hydroclorothyazide that I had left over since surgery (was told not to take them anymore once I had surgery). I took what I used to take, one a day. Did that for the last two days and what do ya know, down in two days those 8lbs I had "gained" (I also increased my Water intake). Back down to 251. I had not seen that number since August 28th!! I have been peeing like crazy since taking them. Even in the middle of the night.

I'm hoping the scale will continue to go down from here but we'll see. Not sure why I was holding all that water weight. I mean I did just get over my period too but but I obviously did not have my period for the last month so not sure why this happened for so long. Haven't been eating salty foods either. So strange. Like nothing I did/didn't do was different.

I wonder what I can do naturally to keep that extra water weight off cause I'm not really supposed to be taking that medication anymore. I guess just drink more water? At least that's what I've read in the past.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

1 hour ago, Soon2bFit21 said:

Sometimes we just hold Water due to hormonal fluctuations. I’d suggest keeping carbs a bit lower when you start to gain, focus on Water like you did, and some vegetables like celery and asparagus are natural diuretics.

Thanks!