Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Typical weight loos

Just wondering what y'alls experience has been like with weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery. My surgeon said to expect a 50% weight loss of excess weight. My excess weight started at about 120lbs, which means i can only expect to lose 60 lbs of I trust what my surgeon said. That's disappointing. I'm curious as to what some of you have lost, that have had surgery 6 months ago or longer?

Respectfully, Renee Z

It's just an average, some lose more, some lose less.

Barring any medical or medication issues, if you follow your post op eating guidelines (including the long term guidelines) you will definitely lose more than the average.

yep - as Hop_Scotch said, it's an average. As with any average, you'll find plenty of people who fall on either side of that. It includes not only the people who fail it because they aren't following the rules, but also those who are super committed and lose all of their excess weight. If you're really committed, you'll likely lose a lot more than the 50% average.

Edited by catwoman7

When I had surgery in mid-January, I had about 80 lbs of excess weight going by my height - I’m 5 ft 5.5 inches which I round up to 5 6, so 155 would put me at a normal BMI. (I had lost 70 lbs on my own pre-surgery). By 6 months, I had lost all of that plus another 5 lbs. Again, these are averages - you can lose a lot more than that or lose a lot less. Stick to the eating plan and exercise and you’ll be fine.

I just responded to a post with a similar inquiry as yours, lol. Instead of typing it all out here again, i’ll just include the link to it below (yeah, im lazy):

Good Luck! ❤️

12 hours ago, Renee Z said:

Just wondering what y'alls experience has been like with weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery. My surgeon said to expect a 50% weight loss of excess weight. My excess weight started at about 120lbs, which means i can only expect to lose 60 lbs of I trust what my surgeon said. That's disappointing. I'm curious as to what some of you have lost, that have had surgery 6 months ago or longer?

It's good to know the statistics, but it's also important to realize there's nothing forcing you to be average. I had a medical contraindication for the bypass, so I was forced to have the sleeve instead. I was super disappointed and I feared I wouldn't lose much of my excess weight. But in reality, I lost ALL my excess weight and got down to a normal BMI. I think it took longer than is typical for a bypass patient, but I continued losing over the course of two years until I was done! I'm not promising you will get that result, just saying, don't take the average as an absolute indicator of your likely outcome. A lot of factors go into your final result, some under your control (like motivation, adherence to your program, etc.) and some not (like genetics, metabolism, etc.)

I use the baritastic app to help me track everything. It is really helpful. I’ve lost 37 total since 6/7/2021, but only 20 since surgery on 6/22/21. I’ve lost a lot of inches. I’m down 1 pants size and 2 shirt sizes. I just don’t feel like I am progressing as fast as others and it scares me

The average loss is about 65% of the weight you have to lose (to put you in the healthy bmi range) after (I think) 5 years. Some end up more than this others less hence the average. And it isn’t necessarily the lowest weight you’ll reach.

Some regain because they find the diet to maintain at the lower weight too restrictive &/or the exercise regime too demanding & it didn’t fit in with their lifestyle or they felt more comfortable at a higher weight, etc.

I had to lose 31kg so I should expect to end up about 20kg lighter at 71kg in 5 years based on the average. I lost about 42kg & have basically maintained that. I’m only in my third year now so who knows what the future will bring.

I think some surgeons tell you the average so you won’t have unrealistic expectations but it doesn’t mean that’s where you’ll maintain in the long term.