Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been re-sleeved and self paid? Was it the same price as being sleeved for the first time?

I'm not sure re-sleeved is actually a thing. I've never heard of it. I've heard of having your sleeve revised to an RNY, but not a re-sleeve as in taking your existing sleeve and making it smaller. I honestly can't see that the benefit from that would outweigh the risks involved in the surgery. The original surgeon already cut out what s/he considered the disposable portion of the stomach.

In reference to being re-sleeved, it is not feasible. I looked into this before finding out my only option was gastric bypass after having been sleeved. Some stated it was dangerous, and others felt that if it failed once, why perform the same procedure?

It can be done, but the feasibility really depends upon what is wrong with your sleeve and how experienced your surgeon is with sleeves (most these days are reasonably capable of making decent sleeves - at least in the US - but quite variable on repairing or revising them.) Many prefer to just revise to an RNY as it's easier for them if their sleeve skills are sketchy.

What is the reason for your interest in a re-sleeve? Poor original weight loss or regain, or are there complications possibly resulting from shape problems with your sleeve?

I would usually expect a resleeve to be more expensive than the original sleeve, as is the case with most revisions owing to it usually involving more surgical time; a higher skill or more specialized surgeon is also likely more costly, but much of that depends on location and local rates. One of the surgeons I am associated with usually just does them as part of a conversion to a DS, and sometimes it involves doing an open procedure rather than laparoscopic one, so that influences the cost as well.

In short, yes, it can be done, (though maybe not by just anyone,) is unlikely to be cheaper, but all really depends on the reason and what is involved in your particular case.

I recently looked into this and am at the stage of deciding which surgery I want: Re-Sleeve or Bypass.

I'll preface the following by stating you can research many articles on "pubmed.com" to read published papers by physicians.

• There is a re-sleeve procedure and it's either done by plication or utilizing Overstitch; key difference is that part of your stomach is NOT cut and removed, as is done in the initial sleeve.
    The stomach is made smaller by suturing to make it smaller.
  • In my case, revision, even if it is to a re-sleeve, would be covered by my insurance.
  • Re-sleeves can be done endoscopically (through the throat, no incisions on the abdomen); this is the approach I am being offered.
  • Bypass would require abdominal incisions as it is performed laparoscopically.
  • Bypass would yield a greater overall weight loss, initially. There's a study that indicated the long term weight loss between those re-sleeved vs. conversion to bypass levels out and is similar.

Articles:

Reverse:

As to which procedure has higher risk, in general, risk increases with every subsequent surgery.

In this case, it would depend on the approach your physician would take to re-sleeve; endoscopic or laparoscopic.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a case-matched study

If both options would be performed laparoscopically, then it would be a matter of you deciding which procedure you feel the most comfortable with to achieve the long-term results you are looking for.

Endoscopic surgery is performed using a scope, a flexible tube with a camera and light at the tip, allowing the surgeon to see inside and perform procedures without making major incisions, allowing for easier recovery time and less pain and discomfort.

Laparoscopic is performed by making several small incisions in the abdomen, which increases risk when compared to the SAME PROCEDURE performed endoscopically (no incisions).

The approach with the highest risk is open. Bigger incision.

Bigger incision, bigger risk.

One type of surgery that has taken off in the last few years is minimally invasive spine surgery. Many spine surgeries can be done laparoscopically versus open -- even fusions. The difference? Patients that have it done laparoscopically can have it done in an ASC (ambulatory surgical center), meaning they leave the same day, no hospital stay or large incisions in the back.

And...always remember, whichever surgery you have, it's a TOOL, not a magic pill (those don't exist either).

Hope this helps!

Edited by supersushi

Hello All, re-sleeve is feasible. I was resleeved on 10/27/2021 original surgery was in 2017. However insurance paid both times.

My surgery was the exact same as the first, through the same incisions. 

Have you gotten your first sleeve looked at

On 11/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, soulfiremama said:

Wow that’s so awesome! I really want a 2nd chance and get resleeved.

I know every surgeon is different, but I to- went in to speak with my original surgeon about a resleeve procedure and he advised that is was a bit of a tricky procedure and heavily weighed on whether there was dilation of the pouch and/or scar tissue. We decided against it and I'm currently in pre-op for revision to RNY (GERD, weight gain) Of course, do what you feel is appropriate for you, but make sure to ask a lot of questions because I didn't take a lot of things into consideration when bringing the idea forward. Good luck!!!