Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there, contemplating on getting RNY. I have just a couple of questions.

1. Was your hair able to grow back after things stabilized? And did you use anything for it to grow back or just let nature take its course?

2. Were you ever able to skip taking Vitamins everyday, and still have your lab reports come back okay? I mean is it okay to skip some days in case life gets in the way etc.

3. What is your Vitamin schedule? Good ones to take etc, bet time to take them?

4. How many hours after a meal are you able to eat another same size meal again?

Thanks so much! :)

Hair loss is almost always temporary. Mine lasted about three months (months 5-8), and it all grew back. Not much you can do to stop it other than to keep on top of your Protein and Vitamins so it doesn't get any worse than it will otherwise. Luckily, for most of us, we're the only ones who notice the loss. It's not common for it to come out in big, noticeable clumps (it happens - but again, that's not very common)

not taking vitamins isn't an option, however, missing an occasional day isn't going to hurt your labs. I had a surgery a week ago (not WLS -- I had that several years ago) and had to stop taking all supplements a week before the surgery. I suspect my labs are OK. So missing some random day because you had to deal with an emergency or something that day should have little to no effect.

as for schedule, at Breakfast I take a Multivitamin and on some days, I take D, K, and B12 (I don't take those last three every day). Late afternoon I take a second multivitamin and B-complex. Before bed I take Iron and Vitamin C. My endocrinologist took me off Calcium supplements for reasons I won't go into here, but back when I took those I'd take a calcium supplement with my other morning and late afternoon vitamins, plus two other times sometime during the day.

I'll let someone else respond to your question about meal timing since I'm pretty far out from surgery - that first year is really different and I honestly don't remember how I spaced out my meals.

16 hours ago, AchieveGoals said:

1. Was your hair able to grow back after things stabilized? And did you use anything for it to grow back or just let nature take its course?

2. Were you ever able to skip taking Vitamins everyday, and still have your lab reports come back okay? I mean is it okay to skip some days in case life gets in the way etc.

4. How many hours after a meal are you able to eat another same size meal again?

1) I had pretty bad hairloss between 3-10 months. Now, 18 months out my hair is back to normal. I do take collagen but not sure it had any impact.

2) I am not perfect with Vitamins --- I probably hit 90%+ and so far my labs are good.

3) I take 3-4 times a day. Most I take in the AM (Multi, Calcium, D, B12, A, Thiamin) then I take calcium at lunch; calcium and 2nd multi at night. 3 days a week I take Iron and Vit C before bed. I take Turmeric as well to help with inflammation but that's not standard.

4) At 18 months out I eat "normal" sized meals - normal people not my pre-surgery normal. I could eat again after a couple of hours but try to stick to the 3 meals a day guidance.

Hope this helps.

Lori

On 7/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, AchieveGoals said:

1) hair loss: my hair stated growing back around 6-7 months (which was co-incidentally at around the end of my weight loss phase...not sure if this was related). I'm 2.5+ years out now, and its all back and the pretty much the same length as all my regular-shoulder length hair. I also like to think it's actually thicker, fuller than pre-op, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I did not take/do anything out of the ordinary to address it (other than chop it all off to a pixie cut around 3 months post-op

2) Vitamin Continuation: I stopped taking my Vitamins around the 1 year mark. I've had 3 labs done since then and they have all come back satisfactorily (p.s. I'm was sleeved)

3) Vitamin Regimen: When I was taking them, I was doing:

• Wake up: Pre-natal multi + Calcium + Vit D
  • Mid afternoon: calcium + Vit D
  • Late evening: calcium + Vit D

I was on B12 just for the 1st month post op, but was taken off it because apparently I overproduce it already.

4) Meal Spacing of same size: In the first year, I didn't really have regular "meals" I just ate snack-sized "meals" a few times a day...probably 3-4 hours in between at minimum...and not really at any set time. Now I can eat alot more at one sitting (maybe 1 to 1.5 cups in volume in one sitting) and depending on what it is, this will keep me satisfied for 3-4 hours again....depending on what it is. Dense Protein keeps me fuller longer vs salads.

Good Luck! ❤️

p.s. im female, 49yrs, 5’2”, 115lbs

Edited by ms.sss

Hey there

I'm 7 months post op and I can see you have genuine concerns but sometimes these forums can be overwhelming and everyone's journey an be different. I'm 5ft 1 and at my heaviest was 15 stone. I am now 9 and a half stone . Month 3 post op is when I noticed my hair falling out but rest assured it will stop and slow down, I do recommened a skin hair and nail supplement I found this helped and your body is fantastic at adapting and returning to your new normal. Yes I often forget to take my supplements yes probably not recommended but I struggled with them for the first while as they upset my stomach a small bit but all my bloods came back fine. You will be surprised post op at how much you can eat it's not gonna be these tiny portions forever so you can get your nutrition in your food and there's so many options out there. Over time you will find what works for your body and listen to it. Best decision I've ever made . Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G781B using BariatricPal mobile app

I was lucky and experienced no Hair loss. Make sure you keep up on your Protein because that one of the causes of hair loss, the lack of protein. I do tend to forget my Vitamins, more often than I care of admit lol. But my levels are just as good as they were before the surgery

I had terrible Hair loss so started maintenance early. Now I'm struggling to get back on program. I wish I'd stayed on program but was freaked out and didn't know how long the hair loss would last. It was severe and lasted 7 months. I'm older so my hair doesn't grow very fast anymore.

I had terrible Hair loss so started maintenance early. Now I'm struggling to get back on program. I wish I'd stayed on program but was freaked out and didn't know how long the hair loss would last. It was severe and lasted 7 months. I'm older so my hair doesn't grow very fast anymore.

I am only 3 weeks out. My hair seems to be the same as it was.

Make your own schedule you want 6 small meals so put them equally apart. Force yourself to drink I am having trouble drinking. I loved Water I hate it now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 07/12/2021 at 12:02, jadepok said:

Hey there

I'm 7 months post op and I can see you have genuine concerns but sometimes these forums can be overwhelming and everyone's journey an be different. I'm 5ft 1 and at my heaviest was 15 stone. I am now 9 and a half stone . Month 3 post op is when I noticed my hair falling out but rest assured it will stop and slow down, I do recommened a skin hair and nail supplement I found this helped and your body is fantastic at adapting and returning to your new normal. Yes I often forget to take my supplements yes probably not recommended but I struggled with them for the first while as they upset my stomach a small bit but all my bloods came back fine. You will be surprised post op at how much you can eat it's not gonna be these tiny portions forever so you can get your nutrition in your food and there's so many options out there. Over time you will find what works for your body and listen to it. Best decision I've ever made . Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G781B using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey, can I ask what hair and nail supplement you used? Many thanks!