Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Differences between diet plans

Hi guys!

So I'm sleever and I was surprised to see that there seems to be more then one diet plan. One of them is a 5 weeks plan, and the other progresses slower like 2 months or smth. I wonder, where this difference comes from? Does it depends on patient, clinic/hospital or maybe country? I'm European, Polish in fact, and I got 5 weeks plan.

So where are you guys from and how do you eat?

It is true that diet plans are so different! One guy in my group of July 2020 sleevers didn't have solid food for months after surgery! He reached goal very quickly, but NO food! UGH! My doctor's plan seems to be fairly normal and although I'm losing pretty slowly (I have 19 pounds to go to be the lowest I have been in 25 years), I am happy with my plan. I don't think it has anything to do with where the surgeon is from, it's probably more how conservative they are or how quickly they want you to be successful. I am personally a "slow and steady wins the race" vs. "speed to the finish line"...although I may have to change things up to get these last 20 pounds off!!

it's due to differences between clinics. Even in the U.S., plans vary a lot. Some are ultra-low-carb, some are moderately low carb, some are balanced and don't really focus on carbs at all (except for the "bad" ones - most plans want you to avoid those). Some have you on liquids for 2 weeks, then purees for two more weeks, and then soft foods at a month out - and some skip one or more of those steps (I was on purees as soon as I left the hospital)

My plan is one that progresses very slowly. 2 weeks of liquids after surgery, 4 weeks of purees, 3-6 months of soft foods, then regular foods.

1 hour ago, Jnfinney said:

My plan is one that progresses very slowly. 2 weeks of liquids after surgery, 4 weeks of purees, 3-6 months of soft foods, then regular foods.

So if I add that up correctly, you are not to be on "regular" foods until at least 4.5 (and at most 7.5) months post-op? That's is probably the longest prescribed soft foods phase I have ever read on here. You may very well be in maintenance by then!

@ms.sss Yes! I seriously about fell off my seat when my dietician told me that. And honestly, I am dying to eat some raw veggies 😣

My doctor wanted 10% weight loss through medically supervised diet before he'd approve you. For me that was 27 pounds. My insurance wanted 5 months of medically supervised weight loss....so that's what I did, and lost 40 pounds by cutting back calories, learning about better nutrition, making better choices.

After surgery, my doctor wanted us eating 1200 calories a day by the 3-4th week. We avoid refined carbs, but eat LOTS of whole carbs....potatoes, whole grains, etc. (no refined sugar or white flour products)

We ate 1200 calories a day like that until goal....then gradually upped calories to maintenance.

I maintain well at 1600 calories a day. I eat pretty much everything, but am careful with refined foods.

Mine is 2 weeks Liquids, 2 weeks soft foods, then on to regular food. Interesting to see how other people are doing with each variance.

My program is:

• 1 day of Clear Liquids (while in the hospital)
  • 4 weeks of full liquids (with greek yogurt counted as a full liquid - thank god)
  • 3 weeks pureed diet
  • 2 weeks soft foods

I agree it seems to be varied. My program does three days clear liquids, two weeks opaque liquids, two weeks puréed, two weeks soft foods (this is where I can finally have simple foods like a scrambled egg), then 6 weeks of “early transition foods” (moist fish type stuff), followed by three months of “transition solids” (I can have chicken and Turkey here) , and finally around month 7 I get to eat more of smaller sized regular meals .

So yeah.... I don’t really get to eat until 7 months after surgery 🤷🏼‍♀️

right now I am on the puréed stage because I had surgery relatively recently. But looking at the whole scope I am really happy that I am lucky and my hunger drive is nonexistent otherwise I would not be such a happy camper these days lol