Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Tips or advice for the surgery date??

Also interested:)

you'll probably only be there for one night, and you'll be sleeping most of that time. I really only used my phone when I was awake, so that and a phone charger for sure. Some people also take along something like Biotene spray, because dry mouth is a common complaint after surgeries (and dry lips, too - so some people take something like Chapstick along)

Take baggy, easy to get on & off clothes for the trip home (I just wore the same thing that I wore TO the hospital). I took toiletries (deodorant, tooth brush, toothpaste), but it turned out I really didn't have to because they gave me all that at the hospital.

other than that, you're not going to need much. You won't be there very long, and as mentioned before, you'll likely be sleeping most of the time.

You will likely need much less than you think especially if you are having surgery close to home. If you are traveling over an hour for surgery you may need more that one change of clothes, pillows for the ride/flight.

My all time favorite suggestion: body wipes. You will have a lot of people touching you over the course of your time at the hospital but you will not be able to bathe.

I live across town from my hospital, so a pillow for the ride home was really nice to hug onto in case there were bumps in the road (they take a long time to tend to potholes in my city). Other than that, you won’t need much. Like @catwoman7 said, you’ll be out of it for most of the time you’re there, so at most you’ll need your phone and a charging cable (if you can get a battery charging case for your phone I highly recommend it, because that cord can be a pain the butt!). Aside from that, I brought a book, a journal, my Switch...all of them stayed in the bag. Once you’re awake enough to move around, you should be if you feel up to it. So really, I only suggest a phone. If you get chronic dry mouth or lips maybe some spray or chap stick, but that’s it. You won’t use everything you bring.

I saw a girl pack for her hospital stay recently. She took a fancy robe, pajamas, and all kinds of toiletries. She didn’t use any of it. I even told her ahead of time, “hey girl, you’re over packing.” She didn’t think she was. Ultimately, it’s up to you what you bring. But I brought very minimal stuff, and I still wish I hadn’t brought it.

24 minutes ago, mil_unloaded said:

I live across town from my hospital, so a pillow for the ride home was really nice to hug onto in case there were bumps in the road (they take a long time to tend to potholes in my city). Other than that, you won’t need much. Like @catwoman7 said, you’ll be out of it for most of the time you’re there, so at most you’ll need your phone and a charging cable (if you can get a battery charging case for your phone I highly recommend it, because that cord can be a pain the butt!). Aside from that, I brought a book, a journal, my Switch...all of them stayed in the bag. Once you’re awake enough to move around, you should be if you feel up to it. So really, I only suggest a phone. If you get chronic dry mouth or lips maybe some spray or chap stick, but that’s it. You won’t use everything you bring.

I saw a girl pack for her hospital stay recently. She took a fancy robe, pajamas, and all kinds of toiletries. She didn’t use any of it. I even told her ahead of time, “hey girl, you’re over packing.” She didn’t think she was. Ultimately, it’s up to you what you bring. But I brought very minimal stuff, and I still wish I hadn’t brought it.

LOL! A fancy robe & pj's!! I don't think you're even allowed to wear anything other than those super attractive hospital-issued gowns & the socks...?

I could fit my stuff into a large ziplock - toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lenses, phone, phone charger with my extra long charging cable.

Not sure about

10 hours ago, Michele 2021 said:

I’m scheduled for a gastric bypass on April 28th does anyone have any advice on things you can. Do to better prepare for the hospital stay?

Not sure about Bypass but you will probably need dry mouth spray when you wake up from surgery

Thanks for all the advice it’s good to know that you should pack light! I also like the idea of packing some body wipes along with some mouth spray and chapstick...