Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So unfortunately I did check my weight and I only lost 1lb since my post op appointment last week and I am extremely annoyed. Like in another week I’ll be 4 weeks out and I only lost 14 lbs after surgery so far. I am trying my best with Protein and Water goals and I am following the plan, not to mention I move a lot and my bms are normal so I’m not understanding what the issue is. Trying to not get discouraged I know this is normal but still it’s a little disheartening but I know it will get better.

Yes, it’s very normal. We all experienced at least one stall along the way. It’s just your body playing catch up - it’s been through a lot & will continue to do so while you’re losing.

You’ll start to notice the weight dropping again. Just give it time & stick to your plan.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

PS - you’re so lucky that your bms are normal.

Thank you! I’ve been taking pics and I do see a difference but I really need that scale to move! Lol and my bms just started being normal I was scared for a minute lol

Yeah I def understand. I'm 7 weeks in and stalled for 4 of them. Lost weight the first 2 weeks... stalled for 3 weeks... lost again the week after... been stalling for 10 days now... I was down .5lbs this morning. Crossing my fingers that I've broken this stall and will drop another 7-10 lbs like a did last time.

We all know stalling is normal but it still SUX! It's hard not to start comparing when you read post about people who meet their goals in 6 months. I feel like if the first 3 months are when I'm supposed to lose the most weight... its going to take some time before I reach my goal.

My only positive thought is that losing weight slower might lead to less loose skin... hopefully... and since I didn't tell anyone about the surgery, I guess it looks more natural this way... sigh...

Sending good vibes your way! Hopefully your stall won't be as long as mine!

Edited by XtinaDoesIt

1) three-week stall. Almost all of us experience that.

2) I lost 16 lbs the entire first month, and I went on to lose over 200 lbs.

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Thanks for sharing this! In my head I figured the first 3 months were an indicator of how the rest of the process is going to go. Minus my preop weight loss, I've lost 18 lbs so far, a month and a half in... BUT it does look like I might have broke my second stall (YAY), down again this morning.

11 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I lost 16 lbs the entire first month, and I went on to lose over 200 lbs.

Same here - I lost 15 pounds that first month and never more than 10 any month after that. But it kept going and going and I lost all my excess weight! Hang in there @Hopefulin2021!

11 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

1) three-week stall. Almost all of us experience that.

Wow that’s amazing! This gives me hope I just won’t step on the scale for a while.

10 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

Same here - I lost 15 pounds that first month and never more than 10 any month after that. But it kept going and going and I lost all my excess weight! Hang in there @Hopefulin2021!

Thank you! I know the weight will drop and I need to have patience. Thank you for sharing!

12 hours ago, XtinaDoesIt said:

Yeah I def understand. I'm 7 weeks in and stalled for 4 of them. Lost weight the first 2 weeks... stalled for 3 weeks... lost again the week after... been stalling for 10 days now... I was down .5lbs this morning. Crossing my fingers that I've broken this stall and will drop another 7-10 lbs like a did last time.

We all know stalling is normal but it still SUX! It's hard not to start comparing when you read post about people who meet their goals in 6 months. I feel like if the first 3 months are when I'm supposed to lose the most weight... its going to take some time before I reach my goal.

My only positive thought is that losing weight slower might lead to less loose skin... hopefully... and since I didn't tell anyone about the surgery, I guess it looks more natural this way... sigh...

Sending good vibes your way! Hopefully your stall won't be as long as mine!

Yes maybe I won’t have that much excess skin but I don’t really think I will anyway. I haven’t been overweight my whole life just for the past 10 years and it’s been up and down. Maybe slow weight loss is good. Slow and steady wins the race.

I also found that people would compliment me when I was in a stall...those that know (almost everyone in my life) would say that I am really losing, and I would think "I haven't lost weight in two weeks" and then I'd start losing again. I think your body needs time to "redistribute" or something, so clothes feel better, you look better, but you weigh the same. I try to focus on NSV's (Non-scale victories) during the stalls.

I'm at nearly 4 week stall now. Yesterday the body composition scale I bought from Amazon arrived so that I can get a new baseline and track what is actually happening. I met with a nutritionist who had full access to my fitness pal records. The only helpful advice she gave me was to cut down on fat calories and increase carbs, Protein and daily calories to 800. It wasn't like my fat calories were way out of whack, just coming in over 25% some days.

She told me in 12 years she'd never seen anyone fail to lose significant weight, but that she hadn't seen a stall this long before. The only things I can think of now are that my daily thyroid meds aren't being absorbed or that my extremely low protein values shown by the new scale (3.6%) are also causing problems with weight loss. I was definitely eating 60g+ of protein a day, so I don't know why I'm not absorbing it. I bought protein Water, it tastes disgusting, but at least I can boost protein without many calories and get water intake to boot.

But yeah, I've been stuck at 25 lb loss for 4 weeks with the only minor ups and downs related to my Fluid intake.

It would be a gross understatement to say my mental health has taken a nose-dive. I can't believe I did this to my body only to have it not work.

4 hours ago, KayBee1972 said:

I'm at nearly 4 week stall now. Yesterday the body composition scale I bought from Amazon arrived so that I can get a new baseline and track what is actually happening. I met with a nutritionist who had full access to my fitness pal records. The only helpful advice she gave me was to cut down on fat calories and increase carbs, Protein and daily calories to 800. It wasn't like my fat calories were way out of whack, just coming in over 25% some days.

She told me in 12 years she'd never seen anyone fail to lose significant weight, but that she hadn't seen a stall this long before. The only things I can think of now are that my daily thyroid meds aren't being absorbed or that my extremely low Protein values shown by the new scale (3.6%) are also causing problems with weight loss. I was definitely eating 60g+ of protein a day, so I don't know why I'm not absorbing it. I bought protein Water, it tastes disgusting, but at least I can boost protein without many calories and get Water intake to boot.

But yeah, I've been stuck at 25 lb loss for 4 weeks with the only minor ups and downs related to my Fluid intake.

It would be a gross understatement to say my mental health has taken a nose-dive. I can't believe I did this to my body only to have it not work.

I malabsorb protein. We figured that out pretty early on. I have to eat 100+ grams a day or my prealbumin level tanks. For all I know, I could have malabsorbed it even before WLS - we never did a baseline on that, so we'll never know for sure...