Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Im 2+ years out. Still haven’t had any to date. I switched to (rice-less) sashimi, which I had for the first time post-op around 2-3 months...yummmmmm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't start eating it until I was in maintenance - and I still rarely eat it. The rice kind of sits there like a brick in my stomach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, urbo said:

I was just wondering when it was safe or if we could eat sushi or California rolls at all after surgery.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m really craving some! I’m 4 weeks post op

Edited by Mommyof3loves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Im 2+ years out. Still haven’t had any to date. I switched to (rice-less) sashimi, which I had for the first time post-op around 2-3 months...yummmmmm!

I’ve heard of sashimi I’ve never tried it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I didn't start eating it until I was in maintenance - and I still rarely eat it. The rice kind of sits there like a brick in my stomach.

That’s true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We went with friends to a sushi restaurant and had "low-carb" sushi. It was a sushi roll wrapped with a rice paper and instead of rice it was filled with crab meat. That is about as close to sushi as we feel comfortable at this point. Of the 6 pieces in the roll, my wife and I were able to eat 2 each before we were full. We both had surgery together on 11/11 and we only tried this sushi about 2 weeks ago.

Edited by mswillis5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had sashimi (which is just a slab of raw fish) on Monday at 4 weeks PO. It was wonderful! I hear you can get sushi wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mweiss1998 said:

I had sashimi (which is just a slab of raw fish) on Monday at 4 weeks PO. It was wonderful! I hear you can get sushi wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.

yes - I think I've seen that in some places. That should work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mswillis5 said:

We went with friends to a sushi restaurant and had "low-carb" sushi. It was a sushi roll wrapped with a rice paper and instead of rice it was filled with crab meat. That is about as close to sushi as we feel comfortable at this point. Of the 6 pieces in the roll, my wife and I were able to eat 2 each before we were full. We both had surgery together on 11/11 and we only tried this sushi about 2 weeks ago.

That’s nice to know! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mweiss1998 said:

I had sashimi (which is just a slab of raw fish) on Monday at 4 weeks PO. It was wonderful! I hear you can get sushi wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.

Mmm that would be so awesome! Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sushi 3 week after surgey, basic salmon, cucumber avocado. First time eating carb/ rice post OP no issues other than hitting a stall due to carbs. Just sashimi after that.

Sent from my SM-F707U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before surgery, I ate lots of sushi. About three months post-surgery, I ate one order of sushi (ikura) and uni sashimi. They tasted wonderful but since surgery, I've found that I don't tolerate rice well. Even a small amount is too much, and I feel uneasy, so I pretty much stick to sashimi -- salmon, yellowtail, mackerel, uni, ikura, and egg cake (tamago) -- for special occasions. Nowadays, I mostly buy ahi tuna slabs (which are frequently on sale) and eat the ahi with horseradish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love sushi, but even three years out...I eat two to three pieces and I'm done. If you make your own and use brown rice, it's not quite as brutal a bomb on your blood sugar. Also, making your own, you can keep your rice layer very thin on your seaweed. Lots of Youtube videos to watch and learn:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×