Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pulmonary and Cardiac Clearance

So, of the many things I need to get done, Cardiology and Pulmonology are on the list.

Can anyone tell me what exactly that entails (did you have to do the same?)? I guess there are some sort of tests they will do?

I didn't have to do anything with pulmononlogy. For cardiology, a lot of people have to have an EKG. That's a breeze.

My surgeon also required a nuclear stress test for people over age 50 and/or people under 50 who'd had previous heart issues. For that, I had to lie on a table and they pushed me in this big loop thing that looked kind of like an MRI machine, but it was much bigger and shorter (because only your chest really needs to be inside - your head sticks out one end and you're sticking out the other end from the waist down). They did all kinds of readings - not sure what exactly, but I don't remember feeling anything. Then they gave me this shot of something that made my heart race (they said they can also make a person run on a treadmill for awhile, but it's hard for some people to get their heart rate up fast enough when they do that, so they usually just do the shot which has the same effect as really intense exercise). Then they stuck me back in the machine and did a bunch of readings again - the same readings they did before, because they want to see how your heart functions under stress, and how quickly it recovers.

other than the part about the heart racing feeling freaky, it wasn't bad. No pain or anything.

Thanks for all the info!! For me they listed the EKG on its own then also listed a separate "Cardiac Clearance" visit which is why I was wondering what else that could mean. Apparently the cardiac clearance AND the pulmonary is a requirement from my insurance. I have no heart issues that I know of. Thanks again.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

My insurance also required cardiac and pulmonary clearance. The pulmonologist had me do a sleep study which uncovered severe sleep apnea, and a stress test which revealed mild asthma. The cardiologist had me do an echocardiagram and EKG which showed a leaky heart. None of these things stopped me from being cleared, I just now have a cardiologist to visit every 6 months plus an inhaler and cpap :)

As Catwoman7 described, I had to do the stress test for the cardiac clearance because I was on two blood pressure meds, also EKG and echocardiogram.

14 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

So, of the many things I need to get done, Cardiology and Pulmonology are on the list.

Can anyone tell me what exactly that entails (did you have to do the same?)? I guess there are some sort of tests they will do?

I had to see a pulmonologist and a cardiologist for clearance. As other posters mentioned, I had a sleep study (which revealed sleep apnea), a breathing test (for lung function) and some other stepping test which I am not sure what it was for. The Cardiologist did a stress test, ekg, echocardiogram - which I think is just to make sure my heart is in decent shape for surgery.

Thanks everyone for the responses! At least now I have an idea of what I could expect going to these appointments. I actually had a echocardiogram back in 2010. All came back good and normal. Hopefully if I need another I will get the same good report. Thanks again!

So I just got my cardiac appointment done. I got an EKG done earlier in the morning before my appointment and so the cardiologist said everything looked good on that so based on that test and nothing alarming in other previous tests, that he didn't require me to do any further testing as he feels confidant that I am fit for surgery. YAY!! One step closer.

Pretty much all I have left to do now is my pulmonary, dietician and mental health appointments and they will all be completed by April 5th! So, fingers crossed my blood work (which I did this am) is fine too and nothing unusual shows with that. Oh and I guess next week I'll hear back about my H-Pylori test too. But after that, that should be it!!!