Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have much heartburn after bypass?

I've heard lots about sleeves and that they can give you bad heartburn. What about bypass. My surgeon says after healing there shouldn't be much problem, but I'm hearing from some people that they are still taking omeprazole years later... What about you?

I had hiatal hernia with GERD prior to RNY with hiatal hernia repair, and had taken nexium daily for about 15 years. Per my surgeon’s recommendation, I continued my nexium for about 6 weeks after surgery. I had a bit of heartburn in the first few weeks after surgery, but nothing after that. It is wonderful! And no more nexium. ☺️

Edited by WishMeSmaller

I had occasional mild to moderate heartburn prior to bypass, and I have had absolutely none since. While that isn't the primary reason I chose bypass over sleeve, it has been a wonderful side benefit.

for most people (not all, but most), bypass improves if not outright cures heartburn.

I had it prior to surgery, so my surgeon recommended I go with bypass instead of sleeve. It completely went away for about three years. I do get mild heartburn occasionally now, but nothing like before I had bypass. A couple over-the-counter antacids like Rolaids will usually do the trick.

Before my revision to a mini bypass I experience horrible Gerd daily. I had revision on 2/23 and haven’t had any since surgery.

I still have GERD after bypass and take 60mg Dexilant !!! Nothing else works for me. I have to take have the capsule in the morning and the other half at night or I am on fire

I have heartburn post Bypass. My surgeon says its rare (bypass is actually a cure for people with bad heartburn) but it does happen. It's not as bad as before surgery and I manage it with 1 pepcid in the am.

I had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my bypass, and I had suffered from daily GERD pains prior to bypass. I took omeprazole for about six weeks after my surgery, and then quit when my prescription ran out. Since then, I have had NO pain from GERD. What a relief it is to have pain-free days! I'm very grateful that my doc recommended the bypass instead of the sleeve, which is what I had originally wanted.

I had a hiatal hernia and GERD prior to bypass. I’ve been on Nexium and Pepcid daily for years. After bypass surgery, so far I have had no heartburn. He’s planning on taking me off the Nexium in several weeks now.