Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I usually eat dinner around 6pm every night. I then eat a snack around 8:30. Lately I have found myself eating more than one snack at night. I wonder why I am doing this. Last night I actually made myself sick from doing it. I just don't understand why I am doing this to myself. During the day, I am strict with myself, on my schedule, eating only the right portions, etc. Then at night, I turn into this not giving a damn attitude, and try to eat a lot more. I have done it to the point where I have gotten sick twice from it. You would have thought I would have learned from the first time. I get so mad at myself too. It sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deadly nighttime munchies. I feel your pain. You're probably not far enough out yet to do this comfortably, but one of my strategies for dealing with the nightime munchies is having veggies on the couch. LOL. The only foods we allow to be eaten in front of the TV are vegetables, now. And I can put together a great plate of them....pepper sticks, baby carrots, sweet tomatoes, crunchy flavorful stuff and I even have a homemade ginger balsamic dressing that is super low calorie to dip. For me, this really helps with the nighttime cravings. But I totally get where you're coming from...it's almost like your body waits until your brain is tired and vulnerable to suggest....hey, by the way, lets eat something really naughty! It's totally frustrating. Been there! Another strategy that helps me...is switching to a different comfort habit. I LOVE a hot deep bath. When I want food at night, I try to take a bath instead and make it even more decadent with a 60 calorie Sugar Free Chocolate pudding (while swearing off other Snacks for the night). At the end of the day is when we need that extra nurturing, that extra love and comfort....it's been a HARD day! Try to find that nurturing and comfort in something that takes the focus off food. Try to find other things to do at night that are satisfying and make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

late afternoon is my problem time. I'll start grazing and then eat dinner on top of that. Nights aren't as challenging for me (although they can be sometimes...), but i know they can be a problem time for a lot of people.

what I've done more often lately (and should do it even more often) to manage my late afternoon challenging time is to just have a Protein Shake for Breakfast (instead of a regular breakfast), then eat breakfast around 11;00, which means I don't eat lunch until like 1:30 or 2:00. Then I can usually make it until dinner - although sometimes I'll end up having a snack or around 4:00 - or if I'm really famished, I'll just eat dinner at 4:00 and have my afternoon snack around 7:00 pm. Shifting things around like this will sometimes do the trick. (it helps that I'm retired and am home most of the time)

in addition, I almost always have grapes, raw veggies with a Greek-yogurt based dip, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles in the house, so that if I do lose control, at least I have some choices that won't cause much damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't eat solid food too late at night, it's like revving the engine and then I want to eat an entire loaf of bread. What's worked for me is an absolutely ridiculous array of hot drinks: teas, chais, coffees, Korean citrus tea, instant coffees... I'll also drink ice-cold Water or low-cal lemonade mixes. The variety and sheer quantity on a nightly basis seems to work for me. Basically anything that is majority water and not too sugary, but I do take my coffee with sugar and half and half, and that will usually tide me over for an hour.

During the pandemic I've abandoned some of the ground rules and begun including cocoa mixed in milk (no) and booze (I mean, OBVIOUSLY no) and that's caused a fair amount of regain, but I once I cut those back out I'm pretty confident that the flavored-liquids route will work for evenings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I usually eat dinner around 6pm every night. I then eat a snack around 8:30. Lately I have found myself eating more than one snack at night. I wonder why I am doing this. Last night I actually made myself sick from doing it. I just don't understand why I am doing this to myself. During the day, I am strict with myself, on my schedule, eating only the right portions, etc. Then at night, I turn into this not giving a damn attitude, and try to eat a lot more. I have done it to the point where I have gotten sick twice from it. You would have thought I would have learned from the first time. I get so mad at myself too. It sucks.

OMG. You just described my life. Very controlled during the day, rarely hungry, then I start snacking on crap that has no nutritional value (crackers, Cookies, candy) until I finally fall asleep. I always promise myself that I'll do better tomorrow, then another night comes and I repeat the same terrible habit. I'm not hungry, just want the salty and sweet Snacks that I have always eaten. If anyone has any good ideas or suggestions on how to calm the angry night beast, please share!

Edited by mae7365

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

what I've done more often lately (and should do it even more often) to manage my late afternoon challenging time is to just have a Protein Shake for Breakfast (instead of a regular breakfast), then eat Breakfast around 11;00, which means I don't eat lunch until like 1:30 or 2:00. Then I can usually make it until dinner - although sometimes I'll end up having a snack or around 4:00 - or if I'm really famished, I'll just eat dinner at 4:00 and have my afternoon snack around 7:00 pm. Shifting things around like this will sometimes do the trick.

I do something similar. I am very strict about only eating 3 meals and no Snacks (other than sugar-free beverages and Jello). I have a Crio Bru with half a scoop of Protein Powder instead of breakfast, sometimes a sugar-free Jello later in the morning, and don't eat solid food until lunchtime. I have some tea or Crio Bru between lunch and dinner (I find that Hot Drinks are very filling), and then I have my third meal (my daily Built Bar) before I go to bed. I used to have the Built Bar for breakfast or lunch, but I really like saving it for the end of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also tend to eat more later in the day (probably because my first meal of the day is normally past noon).

I TRY not to eat past 7-8pm, because if I have food in my stomach when I go bed, I'll spit it up in the middle of the night. That's not to say that I don't eat past this time. I find that I can do alot of munching at night in front of the TV if I don't watch it. Sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't, and sometimes, I just go upstairs to go to bed.

I think I have a mental connection between watching TV and eating so if I just go do something else, the feeling of wanting to eat something goes away.

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really weird how I am so good during the day, then nighttime comes and I am like whatever. My hubby tries to help me, but I end up yelling at him. Last night as I am dying in the bathroom, then have to lay down in bed and am crying from stomach pain, he is like "I don't know why you do this, blah blah blah" I am like OMG shut up already!! He just made it ten times worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mae7365 said:

OMG. You just described my life. Very controlled during the day, rarely hungry, then I start snacking on crap that has no nutritional value (crackers, Cookies, candy) until I finally fall asleep. I always promise myself that I'll do better tomorrow, then another night comes and I repeat the same terrible habit. I'm not hungry, just want the salty and sweet Snacks that I have always eaten. If anyone has any good ideas or suggestions on how to calm the angry night beast, please share!

Its not that I am eating bad stuff. It is just too much stuff at night. Like last night, I had a pc. of Protein cookie, then about 15 minutes later, I had strawberries with cool whip, then 15 minutes after that I had a bowl of protein granola with almond milk. I am eating the right foods but I am so full by the time I eat the 2nd thing, why eat the 3rd thing? It is truly a mind set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

I also tend to eat more later in the day (probably because my first meal of the day is normally past noon).

I TRY not to eat past 7-8pm, because if I have food in my stomach when I go bed, I'll spit it up in the middle of the night. That's not to say that I don't eat past this time. I find that I can do alot of munching at night in front of the TV if I don't watch it. Sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't, and sometimes, I just go upstairs to go to bed.

I think I have a mental connection between watching TV and eating so if I just go do something else, the feeling of wanting to eat something goes away.

I think the TV has a lot to do with it. Last night I was watching it for a while, and noticed that is when my eating started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigSue said:

I do something similar. I am very strict about only eating 3 meals and no Snacks (other than sugar-free beverages and Jello). I have a Crio Bru with half a scoop of Protein Powder instead of Breakfast, sometimes a sugar-free Jello later in the morning, and don't eat solid food until lunchtime. I have some tea or Crio Bru between lunch and dinner (I find that Hot Drinks are very filling), and then I have my third meal (my daily Built Bar) before I go to bed. I used to have the Built Bar for breakfast or lunch, but I really like saving it for the end of the day.

Do you save the bar for the end of the day because it is more satisfying than the other foods? I am wondering if I should save something good and won't be tempted to keep eating until I am satisfied by tasting something good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

The deadly nighttime munchies. I feel your pain. You're probably not far enough out yet to do this comfortably, but one of my strategies for dealing with the nightime munchies is having veggies on the couch. LOL. The only foods we allow to be eaten in front of the TV are vegetables, now. And I can put together a great plate of them....pepper sticks, baby carrots, sweet tomatoes, crunchy flavorful stuff and I even have a homemade ginger balsamic dressing that is super low calorie to dip. For me, this really helps with the nighttime cravings. But I totally get where you're coming from...it's almost like your body waits until your brain is tired and vulnerable to suggest....hey, by the way, lets eat something really naughty! It's totally frustrating. Been there! Another strategy that helps me...is switching to a different comfort habit. I LOVE a hot deep bath. When I want food at night, I try to take a bath instead and make it even more decadent with a 60 calorie Sugar Free Chocolate pudding (while swearing off other Snacks for the night). At the end of the day is when we need that extra nurturing, that extra love and comfort....it's been a HARD day! Try to find that nurturing and comfort in something that takes the focus off food. Try to find other things to do at night that are satisfying and make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Good ideas...taking a bath instead may help me. I can see it now, eating a Yasso bar in the tub. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

late afternoon is my problem time. I'll start grazing and then eat dinner on top of that. Nights aren't as challenging for me (although they can be sometimes...), but i know they can be a problem time for a lot of people.

what I've done more often lately (and should do it even more often) to manage my late afternoon challenging time is to just have a Protein Shake for Breakfast (instead of a regular breakfast), then eat Breakfast around 11;00, which means I don't eat lunch until like 1:30 or 2:00. Then I can usually make it until dinner - although sometimes I'll end up having a snack or around 4:00 - or if I'm really famished, I'll just eat dinner at 4:00 and have my afternoon snack around 7:00 pm. Shifting things around like this will sometimes do the trick. (it helps that I'm retired and am home most of the time)

in addition, I almost always have grapes, raw veggies with a Greek-yogurt based dip, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles in the house, so that if I do lose control, at least I have some choices that won't cause much damage.

Maybe I can switch up the times I am eating. I have been on the same schedule since day one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sideeye said:

I can't eat solid food too late at night, it's like revving the engine and then I want to eat an entire loaf of bread. What's worked for me is an absolutely ridiculous array of hot drinks: teas, chais, coffees, Korean citrus tea, instant coffees... I'll also drink ice-cold Water or low-cal lemonade mixes. The variety and sheer quantity on a nightly basis seems to work for me. Basically anything that is majority Water and not too sugary, but I do take my coffee with sugar and half and half, and that will usually tide me over for an hour.

During the pandemic I've abandoned some of the ground rules and begun including cocoa mixed in milk (no) and booze (I mean, OBVIOUSLY no) and that's caused a fair amount of regain, but I once I cut those back out I'm pretty confident that the flavored-liquids route will work for evenings.

I do continue to drink liquids at night, but it isn't satisfying to me for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Do you save the bar for the end of the day because it is more satisfying than the other foods? I am wondering if I should save something good and won't be tempted to keep eating until I am satisfied by tasting something good.

Yes, I absolutely love Built Bars and I consider them a treat. I like to have something I can look forward to eating at the end of the day -- saving the best for last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×