Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long is the process????

How long does the process take from 1st vist to banding?

I have insurance that will pay for the surgery :clap2:, but it doesn't become effective until 12/24/07, so I won't be able to truly start my journey until then. :cry

Do I have to go see my regular Dr. first or can I go straight to my surgeon? Maybe that is something to ask my insurance company....lol.

I would like to be able to plan a little.

Thanks.

Hi, welcome! A lot will depend on your insurance. Sometimes surgeons want a letter of necessity from your PCP. As far as the length...it depends on a lot of factors. I'll give you some insight into my journey. I attended a seminar in late June. I filled out my paperwork for the surgery center in July...the waiting came with medical records. I am not going to blame anyone in particular but the two physicians had to send medical records TWICE because they weren't recieved the first time. I have confirmed that the first set of records were sent but who knows where they went? Anyway, after they got all of my medical records, mind you it took almost 6 months just to get them, I was able to make an apt. for my psych. evaluation. However, the psychiatrist was booked up for a month...so I had to wait again! Now, after I have the evaluation, I will make other apts. (cardiologist, etc.). The whole process has taken so much longer than it should have...but patience is a virtue right? haha. To sum it up, it just depends on a lot of factors. For some people, they get through the system pretty quickly, others don't! Hopefully you have a speedy journey! Good luck and I hope that helps!

I went to the seminor in jan, went to my first group meeting in april, my psych appt. was in june,had my first appt. in aug, had my bloodwork the same day,had my abominal ultra-sound in sept, had my dobutamine stress echo in october, went to second group meeting in oct, 18th second appt, october 23rd, did not schedule my surgery because my primery doctor's letter was wrong, they said the insurance company is not going to accept it! I was really pissed, then I said everything happens for a reason, my second appt is on the 11th and I will be told when my surgery will be, he said my insurance always excepts quickly, i'm really excited, so everything took less than a year.

Well, a year was NOT was I was hoping to hear....lol.

I was hoping to have it done within the next couple of months, but I guess that isn't realistic. Oh well, I was just hoping to have lost a significant amount of weight before the cruise this summer! :)

Thanks for some insight into the process. I am trying to get my hands on all my relative records as we speak. But I have some other issues, so it may take a little longer... I guess I will know soon enough.

Good luck to you both on the rest of your journey.

Mine was a lot faster then that. I went to an informational seminar in the begining of Oct., then scheduled an appointment with the Dr Oct. 31 (earliest I could see him). I then finished my Upper GI, Psych, Physical and Blood by 11/15 (it sounds intimidating, but it was surprisingly easy and went by really quickly - for me at least). I scheduled my surgery for 12/10, before I had heard from insurance, but I have BC and was told it shouldn't be an issue. Insurance finally called on 11/30 with the approval, they pay only 70%; and I don't have to stay in the hospital, I can leave same day! I had the pre-op meeting last night and went over the surgery, the liquid diet, the best Protein drinks, the anesthesia, what to expect, etc.

I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to fill out my admitting paperwork and I'm done! My doctor only requires a 2 day liquid diet prior to surgery, and then 12 days after surgery before I can move on to mushy foods. So the whole thing took me a little over 2 months, which I think is pretty average based on what I've read, but I've seen people do it faster, and I've seen it take people a lot longer. Anyways, good luck to you!

:)

Hi there!!! I find myself on the same boat. I visited the surgeon yesterday. He is willing to accept me at this point. That's the good news. The BAD news, I have been placed on a 6 month evaluation. Which means I have to go once a month, for the next 6 months, to be evaluated. After the 6 months are complete, there is no guarantee my insurance will accept my case. I'm very disappointed with this issue. I certainly didn't expect this process to be overnight, but with the wait being 6 months (without a guarantee of surgery), I find myself totally discouraged at this point.

I went to the first seminar in April and had surgery in Oct and my first fill will be Dec 11. There were no snags, no hold-ups and ins was approved right away. It just takes that long were I went.

The process didn't take long for me at all. I am just awaiting insurance approval now. Check out my signature at the bottom for my timelines.

Also, it does depend on the doctor's availability.

Lastly, for pre-op appointments I had to see: Psychologist, Cardiologist, Dietician, Pulmonoligist (Lungs), and Letter from PCP recommending surgery.

Hi, It's differant for all of us. I attended my consult at the end of August, had my psych. eval. and health & wellness in Sept. and met with the surgeon in the beginning of Oct. I have a surgery date of Dec. 26th but am still waiting for insurance approval. I am self-employed so I know my insurance covers the band it's just up to them to approve me.

Don't get discouraged. Get all of your stuff together i.e letter from pcp, any documentation of weightloss attempts and so on so you'll be ready when the time comes.

Good luck!

Jenn

I went to the seminar in July, had my initial appt. with Dr. on August 14th and had all of my checklist completed prior to the appt.(psych eval, blood work, chest x-ray, etc.) All information submitted to insurance company and waited till end of sept. for approval. Then had to wait for appt. with Dr. and kept getting rescheduled due to his surgical schedule. Surgery date was November 13th.

Everybody is different, I could have been done much sooner, but I have a very busy surgeon.

Ari

I know everyone is different, but my process has taken over a year. I first went to the seminar in Sept of 06', but I had not been under a doctor's care for weight loss for one year (which my insurance required) so I had to wait until I had one year of supervised weight loss before I could really proceed too much. I saw the surgeon in May this year, and very quickly got in to all of my pre-surgery appointments. I saw the cardiologist, and psychologist right away. I had to wait a little while for my upper GI. I didn't have to get any blood work done, but I still hadn't gotten all of the paperwork that my PCP was supposed to turn in. I was so frusterated with the whole thing that I thought I may never get the surgery. I am scheduled for January 22nd. FINALLY!!!!! I am very excited, and nervous. So, the process is different for everyone, but even if it gets long, hang in there. It's worth it.:clap2:

I started my process at the end of August this year. I was banded on November 27th. I was approved thru insurance rather quickly. Most of my waiting was the scheduling of the appointments and the doctor's availability. It was a 3 month process for me. The bariatric center was really nice about trying to schedule some appointments on the same day.

Good Luck!!!