Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 Ways to get motivated to exercise

I'm having some problems getting back my mojo to exercise after my recent injury....so I thought I would post some tips I used before to get me motiviated - I'm hoping it will help me now!

You know you've got to get moving. You resolve to park the car a few blocks from work, take the stairs, and hit the gym after work. But a few weeks pass and before you know it, parking spots start opening up right in front of the building, the elevator is already in the lobby, and you've worked late every night that week. It's not that you don't know how to get fit, you just can't seem to stay motivated. We all know people who are religious with their workouts. So, what's their secret?

We asked fitness experts and regular Joes alike how they stick with their routine. These methods keep them moving; maybe one will work for you.

1. Embarrass Yourself

Make a mark on your calendar every time you make it to the gym or park. Seeing your motivation (or lack thereof) in black and white helps keep you going. Suzanne Schlosberg and Liz Neporent, authors of Fitness for Dummies, Second Edition (IDG books Worldwide, Inc., 2000), suggest "whether you write your goals on the side of your shoe or in your training diary, glancing at them on a daily basis will help keep you focused and motivated. Some people tape their goals to their bathroom mirror or refrigerators." Do whatever works to make you remember what you promised yourself.

2. Join a Club That Wouldn't Have You for a Member

So you're not Steffi Graf. That doesn't mean you can't join a tennis team. Richard Cotton, chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise, says "joining a club, team or finding an exercise partner ... provides a support system and someone to simply share the experience with. Often times just knowing someone will be asking you 'How's it going?' can be the difference between exercise success and failure."

3. Love Thy Neighbor and Love Thyself

You can't leave a neighbor standing on the corner checking her watch. She knows where you live. Miriam Nelson, director of the Center for Physical Fitness at Tufts University and the author of Strong Women Stay Young and Strong Women Stay Slim (Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1999), says, "When I make a date with a neighbor to go for a run I keep it, and we have a great time." She also plans a regular appointment with her neighbors. "Saturday mornings several of my neighbors come over and we lift weights together; it's a great way to start the weekend," she says.

4. Challenge Yourself

Working toward an event — like a 5K walk or run, or an overnight bike trip to a faraway bed and Breakfast — keeps you on track. Every time you exercise you'll be closer to meeting your goal. "The minute you mail in your entry fee, you'll have a whole new sense of purpose. And the feeling of accomplishment you get from completing your event is like nothing else," say Schlosberg and Neporent.

5. Dance, Dance, Dance

"Music is a fantastic motivator," says Michael Olajide Jr., a former professional boxer and inventor of Aerobox workout routines. "It can push you to do more and to exercise longer, even longer than you planned." Who doesn't get a surge of energy every time they hear their favorite tune? Plus, it's the perfect excuse to get that new CD.

6. Don't Count the Miles

"Do not work out to burn calories or lose weight," says Emme, plus-size model, author and columnist. "There are more important things than burning calories taking place during your workout. Newfound self-esteem and stress reduction are just two positive aspects of many that come to mind." If you're always focusing on burning off your morning doughnut, of course exercise seems like a chore. Try exercising for the sake of your health, not your body.

7. Find the Fun

Forget about the "no pain, no gain" attitude. "The mind, body and soul connection is very important here, don't forget to have fun," says Emme. Pick an activity you've always loved, like biking or walking outdoors. The more enjoyable it is, the more likely you'll stick with it.

8. Make It a Family Affair

"When I go for a run I entice one of my kids to go with me — he or she goes on their bike and I run. It's a great way to be together with my kids," says Miriam Nelson. Who better to egg you on than the ones who love you best!

9. Learn to Love Lycra

"Buying snazzy new workout shorts or comfy new cross-trainers can really get you fired up to work out, " say Schlosberg and Neporent. Once you realize how much better the right equipment makes a workout, you'll be loving your sports bra as much as soccer star Brandi Chastain.

10. Dive for Dollars

Money is the ultimate motivator. Put a dollar in a jar every time you make it to the gym. At the end of a month, treat yourself to a massage. You'll be at the gym more often than the trainers.

11. It's About Time

"My mood motivates me to work out, so timing is everything," says Kathy Kaehler, personal trainer and author. If you aren't up for a workout don't feel guilty about postponing. On the other hand, exercise has been known to improve a bad mood. Work out your aggressions in the gym instead of at home or work.

Staying motivated to lose weight and exercise is tough. In fact, the hardest part, according to my latest unscientific testing (i.e., asking friends, clients and family), is usually getting started.

"I'm just not motivated," my clients say.

We make plans to exercise but, when it comes time to do it, we find a hundred other things we suddenly must do (exercise while my sock drawer is in such chaos? Ridiculous!).

So, why does exercise seem great until we actually have to do it? Perhaps you think it's lack of motivation that makes it so hard to get started. If that's true, maybe we need to figure out just what motivation is. Is it a feeling? An action? Or a little bit of both?

What is Motivation? Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary defines motivation as "that which gives purpose and direction to behavior." By that definition, we're looking for something to drive us to exercise, something to get us moving.

So where does that 'something' come from? For some people, like athletes, it may come from the desire to compete and to win. For others, it may come from a desire to be healthy or live longer for their kids. For most, losing weight is often the goal. But is that enough to motivate us? Judging from our obesity problems, that would be a no.

The problem with motivation is that many of us believe it's something that will come to us if we wait long enough...that someday we'll wake up and finally want to exercise. Rather than believe in that fantasy, maybe we'd all be better off by realizing that motivation is something we create, not something we wait for.

Is it Possible to Get Excited About Exercise?

When do you get excited about exercise? For me, it's usually right after I've made the decision to do it at some future time. Just deciding to exercise makes me feel good...almost like I've already done something. The problem happens when it comes time to follow through and my motivation has suddenly disappeared. If that sounds like you, maybe it's time to focus your attention on what's important. Deciding to exercise is important, but it's what you do to follow through that really matters.

Redefining Motivation

I believe motivation comes from different places -- it's not based on how we feel or even something we have to wait around for. It's something we create for ourselves. Use the following elements to create your own motivation, and you'll find that exercising will be easier.

Goals You already know that the first step in motivating yourself is having something to work for. It doesn't matter whether that's a weight loss goal or a goal to run a marathon -- anything that gives you reason to exercise will work. And don't think you have to set only one goal. You can set as many goals as you like, whenever you like. Set daily goals (I'll walk for 20 minutes today), weekly goals (I'll get a minimum of 3 workouts in), or even hourly goals (I'll get up every 45 minutes and walk around the building). Always having something to work for, big or small, is just one way to keep yourself going.

Preparation

Once you've decided to exercise, make it as easy as possible to follow through. That means having what you need and getting it all ready for your workouts -- pack your gym bag, prepare meals or Snacks, and plan out what you'll do that day. I've skipped plenty of morning workouts because finding my running shoes turned out the be the equivalent of finding the lost city of Atlantis. I now park them right next to the bed, unlaced, so all I have to do is step into them and I'm ready to go. Find ways you can be ready for your workout well before it happens.

Discipline Part of doing what we do each day has to do with routine and habits. If you can make exercise a habit, you're that much closer to making it easier to do. It helps to have a regular day and time you workout so that, once that time comes, you know it's time to get busy.

You can also create a ritual around your workout to help you get ready. For example, if you're a morning exerciser, take a few minutes to stretch before you get started. Or, if it's cold, throw your clothes in the dryer before putting them on. Find ways to make your workout just another part of your life, like brushing your teeth.

Flexibility

Part of being able to stick to your routine is allowing some leeway. You may plan on jogging 5 miles, but there will come a day when you're too tired or you don't have the time. Most of us end up skipping our workouts rather than coming up with something else to do. Have a goal in mind, but be willing to change it if you find you're tired that day or you have to work late. Always have a backup plan -- if you find you have to work late, see if you can fit in a quick walk at lunch, or use your breaks for some stair walking. Everything counts!

Commitment

Being healthy isn't a decision you make once -- it's one you make every day. Recommitting to your goals is necessary to keep yourself on track. See if you can spend a few minutes each morning thinking or writing about what you want to accomplish that day and how you'll do it. Remind yourself of your goals and take some time to appreciate how far you've come in reaching them. Write down your goals and stick them on your desk or wall so you can see them. Do whatever you can to remind yourself of your commitment to exercise.

Having Fun

All those words I've just used (preparation, discipline, commitment) sound like the opposite of fun, don't they? If you're like me, you sometimes get tired of being so mature all the time -- of all the obligations and responsibilities you have. Exercise often sounds like just another duty. We forget that moving our bodies can actually be fun. Making time for unstructured, free-flowing movement can help you lighten up a little. I highly recommend taking a stroll, jumping in a big pile of leaves or challenging your loved on to a wrestling match.

Reward Yourself

I find that motivation happens almost instantly whenever I reward myself. It might be something small, like a leisurely trip to the bookstore, or something big, like a massage. Check out Spa Wish to purchase your own massage gift certificate -- but don't allow yourself to use it until you finish all of your workouts! In thinking about it, I've found that what motivates me changes from day to day -- what got me moving today may not do a darned thing tomorrow. If that's true for you, that means digging deep to find that thing -- that thought, feeling, goal, reward -- that gets you moving. Make motivation easier by eliminating your excuses before they happen. But, most of all, realize that this motivation thing gets easier with practice. When you exercise consistently, you gradually fill your motivational stores as you understand what makes you tick and what gets you moving. The more you practice, the better you'll get. You'll realize your actions are what generates that feeling you've been searching for -- motivation.

I do the family affair thing. I walk with my kids to school (instead of driving them) which is a mile and a half one way then I walk home. My kids are really entertaining and we have lots to talk about while were walking. Not only am I getting the exercize I need they are getting some aswell. And we have quality time together.

Gummiebear - thats good, you also are teaching your kids the benefit of exercise!

I've been lucky to truly develop a love for running, so it doesnt take me a lot of willpower to keep doing it.

But what I remind myself of when I feel lazy is this: I never get to stop working at the eating part of the equation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, I have to keep trying.

With exercise, 40 minutes and you're done till the next time. Its a LOT easier to make yourself do something for 40 minutes than it is for 24 hours, 7 days, etc etc.

Its over and done with then and you can forget about it till tomorrow.

Just do it.

About 15 years ago I lost 110 lbs. over two years. HAVING FUN motivated me to move my body. I tried a lot of things and stayed with-- tap dance, jazzercize, Water aerobics and bellydance. I love to sweat and worked with a buddy and trainer, who was asked to make it fun and full of surprises. We used balls a lot, boxing gloves, bands, etc.

And I wrote this so I can be in the thread. Thanks for the great info!

Well, it's time I re-read this myself! Thanks to you for posting in here, I got an email stating there had been a post, I had forgotten about this thread and it was just in time because I need a little motivation myself!