Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cravings during Pre-op Diet

I started the pre-op diet on 9/2 and ever since then I have been fighting with myself to not go put one of the frozen pizzas in the oven and eating the whole thing before my husband gets up for the day. I feel sick about it because I am doing so good on the diet, but that craving just won't leave me. What would you do? I can't get rid of the pizzas cause my husband will want them soon.....

you just have to white-knuckle it and remind yourself it's just for a few days. It's hell - the worst part of the ordeal, in my opinion. I was actually relieved the morning of surgery because I knew the pre-op diet was finally over!! It does get better around day 3 or 4 (you'll be on day 4, right?) because that's about when your body goes into ketosis, and your appetite/hunger decreases.

I remember eating sugar free Jello with abandon because it was the only thing I could have that resembled real food. I'd literally make a box of it every day and eat the whole thing! Can you have Tomato juice/V8 and/or broth? I had that every day, too. The sodium in it makes some people retain Water, which also helps you feel fuller...

I can have broth and unlimited vegetables if they are not the starchy vegetables. I have made a vegetable Soup and am devouring that daily when I get hungry and need to eat something. I also have the Jello and eat that along with sugar free Popsicles. It does help but I have CHF so I also need to watch the salt intake and that makes it harder to feel the fullness.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:37 AM, OnMyWay1956 said:

I started the pre-op diet on 9/2 and ever since then I have been fighting with myself to not go put one of the frozen pizzas in the oven and eating the whole thing before my husband gets up for the day. I feel sick about it because I am doing so good on the diet, but that craving just won't leave me. What would you do? I can't get rid of the pizzas cause my husband will want them soon.....

Throw them out! You must have your husband’s total support and this means not having temptation in the house! My husband loves to eat and used to keep “junk food” in easy reach. Now my rule is if he wants something “bad” he has to go out and get it AND not bring it in the house! Eventually, your cravings will (should) pass. Keep remembering why you’re on this journey! You CAN do it! Stay strong!