Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self rant



Recommended Posts

I'm just over a month out of surgery and I have been doing well with my diet so far. Protein Drinks and genpro and adding in some normal foods now.

Today has been my hardest day I feel like I have over eaten I made turkey meatloaf ate some I also downed a bag of pork skins. I had 1 Protein Drink, and a yoghurt breakfest pop. I didn't even do my Tai chi today. I'm just craving idk why. I do not want to fail here. I made myself promise to keep going down on the scale. I worked 2 years to be approved for my surgery. I have wanted it since I was 27. I'm almost 50 now. I feel like there is no one to talk to about this.

FML.

Hoping for tomorrow to be back on track. I do not want to be depressed or crying over this. I need to get it together.

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Don't be too hard on yourself just dust yourself off and keep going. Every day is a new start. I'm pretty sure that we've all slipped up in one way or the other. Just remind yourself of why you did the surgery in the first place. Remember it's not a quick fix but a tool to help us become the healthiest version of ourselves. I have faith in you 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dens425 said:

Today has been my hardest day I feel like I have over eaten I made turkey meatloaf ate some I also downed a bag of pork skins. I had 1 Protein Drink, and a yoghurt breakfest pop. I didn't even do my Tai chi today. I'm just craving idk why. I do not want to fail here.

It's normal. There doesn't need to be a specific reason.

Cravings are normal and to be expected. Few people seem to not experience cravings for certain foods, at least early out of surgery, the rest experiences them.

In the end even with WLS the psychological side effects of restriction are quite similar to every other calorie/macro/food restricted regimen, at least when it comes to cravings: they will be there. Also diet fatigue is a thing, usually later out.

You need to get used to cravings and ride them out (at least to an extend that will allow you to reach your weight goals) and that's exactly as unpleasant as it sounds in the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 2 weeks out and have been feeling the same way. Lots of cravings for foods I shouldn't have. Really hitting home that this is where the real work is. I've been trying to change my perspective on this and gain a new appreciation for the feeling of hunger. Whenever I get cravings, I want to feel the satisfaction of having the control to let them pass me by. It's so, so hard. But we have the support of everyone here who's gone through this before, and hearing how they worked towards success helps keep me going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not panic. We all have had our days during the journey. the mind games are brutal and you body is fighting back now. I agree with above

So you messed up , just move on and clear your head! Have no clue how you could eat pork skins but oh well Time to get back to being healthy. You worked hard for this and just look around the reward for you hard work is just ahead a little.

or

Stay on you addiction and be unhealthy and die young most likely suffering from disease related to your weight.

Only two options you have - Yes its brash but the truth is the truth

You got this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dens425 said:

I'm just over a month out of surgery and I have been doing well with my diet so far. Protein Drinks and genpro and adding in some normal foods now.

Today has been my hardest day I feel like I have over eaten I made turkey meatloaf ate some I also downed a bag of pork skins. I had 1 Protein Drink, and a yoghurt breakfest pop. I didn't even do my Tai chi today. I'm just craving idk why. I do not want to fail here. I made myself promise to keep going down on the scale. I worked 2 years to be approved for my surgery. I have wanted it since I was 27. I'm almost 50 now. I feel like there is no one to talk to about this.

FML.

Hoping for tomorrow to be back on track. I do not want to be depressed or crying over this. I need to get it together.

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using BariatricPal mobile app

I want to say, it sounds like you were just having a day.... everyone has them. Don't be too hard on yourself. Today is a new day a new beginning. Like i use to tell my kids..... Go out there and make good choices.

50 is just a number. i turned 52 july 29....

Go get some dry erasers and start writing words of encouragement on your bathroom mirror...(it wipes right off).

Today my words were.... Your not where you want to be, but its better than where you were.

Even my husband gets in on it and leaves me messages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Double_Me said:

I'm 2 weeks out and have been feeling the same way. Lots of cravings for foods I shouldn't have. Really hitting home that this is where the real work is. I've been trying to change my perspective on this and gain a new appreciation for the feeling of hunger. Whenever I get cravings, I want to feel the satisfaction of having the control to let them pass me by. It's so, so hard. But we have the support of everyone here who's gone through this before, and hearing how they worked towards success helps keep me going.

People ask me a lot... how are you able to eat on the same candy for 2 weeks (or more). Everyone has cravings. It's how you will learn to handle them. This is what I do. Not saying it for everyone, but it works for me.

Ice Cream, I buy the party cups and i keep them in the freezer out in the garage. When i have a craving i have one. And the party cups only come in few flavors... so that's a plus.

chips, i buy the small single servings. Most of the time i can only eat a few... then i crush them and throw them in the trash. If i have to buy the large bag, i count out 4-6 chips, reseal the bag (foodsaver) and put it back. Then i eat small bite of one chip... (like a mouse eating cheese).

Candy, i buy the best i can afford. I break off one square, wrap it back up and put in the fridge. I then take that square and cut into 4. Put one 1/4 in my mouth and let it melt.... I never chew it. By the time i'm down to my last 1/4 i'm good.

I think its a matter of taking a small amount and slowly eating..... and immediately putting away the rest. I never never never leave it out.... the chances of me going back are too great. Out of sight out of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not much you can do about it now. Just get back on track ASAP. Vow to not mess up here - those first few months after WLS will be the easiest time ever in your life to lose weight. Take full advantage of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to thank everyone for posting support and suggestions. Today was better. Had some turkey an egg and a Protein Shake pumpkin spice. Soft noodles 2tbs. Now for Water all night long. I see my Dr tomorrow. So that should reboot me and my nutritionist next week.
Why can't I crave healthy stuff. Damn me!!

Once again thanks everyone. I really needed to read something motivating. Much appreciation.


Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dens425 said:

Why can't I crave healthy stuff. Damn me!!

Maybe with time you will. Though what people consider healthy or not depends on the diet one is following.

It takes patience and you seem to put yourself under a lot of pressure. Accept where you are now (at the beginning, having cravings and only old favorites, experiencing the double whammy of food deprivation and being fat) and be curious about where you will be going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What helped for me (your mileage may vary) was to tell myself, that while I can't have X food now (while in weight loss mode) I can have it later (in "maintenance").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×