Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am six weeks out from gastric sleeve. My doctor gave me a list of do and don not eats. I am just curious what your docs told you what to seriously avoid and what you could have.

Big no nos were carbonation, caffeine, and sugar for me. They preferred me to eat things that are natural-made rather than manufactured as a rule of thumb, but as long as it's within my macros (low-ish carbs, low fat because my gallbladder failed a month out of surgery, and high protein), I'm free to test and see.

Some things I discovered on my own were certain veggies no longer agree with me. I can't eat anything raw, but cooked is fine. It's so weird, and fairly painful to learn lol.

Very specifically told no carbonation, alcohol, bread/pasta/rice/beef in first 6-9 months because your stomach cannot digest those like your old once yet.

No Pasta, bread, rice, raw veggies, alcohol or anything with sugar. I can eat all of the meat and fish that I can handle. I love cooked veggies, but I am trying to limit my intake of the starchy veggies.

The only thing I was told not to ingest was carbonated drinks. Like my dietician, I don't believe in good and bad foods. More like foods that help you achieve your goals and those that do the opposite.

No bread, Pasta, rice, alcohol, caffeine, root vegetables or carbonated drinks. Reduce fats, carbs & sugar as much as possible. I slowly tried different foods over time to work out what my tummy could tolerate. The only vege I could eat for months was microwaved cabbage & cauliflower but didn’t have issues with any meats. Best advice is follow your surgeon’s plan & slowly introduce new foods when your ready.

I can eat most things now. I follow what I call an avoid, reduce or limit eating plan. I still avoid bread, pasta & rice. I reduced my alcohol to maybe once a month & limit the sugar I ingest (only naturally occurring sugars like in fruit where possible & no sweets, cakes, etc.). The only carbonation I have is the odd tonic or soda Water & only caffeine comes from green tea (which I’ve drunk for years). Limit carbs to small serves of multi or whole grains. I keep my Protein up & eat vegetables, salads & a piece of fruit each day.

Good luck with your surgery. I love my sleeve.

I was just asking myself the same question. These are pretty much the same answers I saw online. Corn Tortillas, pastas, Steak, Pita bread and Steak were the worst for my husband. He had the lap band about 10 years ago.

I was told to avoid caffeine during the liquid and soft phases after that it was as tolerated. I was also told to avoid skin and seeds on fruits and veggies, fried foods, high fat meat and dairy, and Pasta which I rarely ate pre-surgery.

Best advice is to follow what your surgeon has outlined for you because what works for one might not work for the next.

I really don't understand the low fat emphasis except the higher calories content. Reasonable amount of fat is necessary to absorb fat soluble Vitamins, help with dry skin and deal with constipation. Even saturated fat isn't bad (hangover from decades of misinformation about cholesterol). Many people are successfully losing weight on ketogenic diet which is very high fat, low carb. Most of us are high Protein, low carb with limited fat. I suspect high Protein, medium fat, limited carb would be best post WLS diet from my own research. I have been high protein (at least 80g), limited fat, limited carb (less than 50g total carbs which includes fiber).

In the beginning, no caffiene, no carbonated beverages, no raw fruit, avoid fruit with seeds.

Stats: 5'1", age 67, female. Highest weight: 245. BMI 41. Surgery Date: May 28, 2020. Weight at surgery: 211.

4 hours ago, over65 said:

I really don't understand the low fat emphasis except the higher calories content. Reasonable amount of fat is necessary to absorb fat soluble Vitamins, help with dry skin and deal with constipation. Even saturated fat isn't bad (hangover from decades of misinformation about cholesterol). Many people are successfully losing weight on ketogenic diet which is very high fat, low carb. Most of us are high Protein, low carb with limited fat. I suspect high Protein, medium fat, limited carb would be best post WLS diet from my own research. I have been high Protein (at least 80g), limited fat, limited carb (less than 50g total carbs which includes fiber).

In the beginning, no caffiene, no carbonated beverages, no raw fruit, avoid fruit with seeds.

Stats: 5'1", age 67, female. Highest weight: 245. BMI 41. Surgery Date: May 28, 2020. Weight at surgery: 211.

I was supposed to be on a higher fat diet, but about a month out of surgery, my gallbladder failed and tried to kill me. I can have fat, just not super high fat stuff. I eat a lot of healthy fats, just not to as high of a degree as my nutritionist had wanted me at.

10 hours ago, over65 said:

I really don't understand the low fat emphasis except the higher calories content. Reasonable amount of fat is necessary to absorb fat soluble Vitamins, help with dry skin and deal with constipation. Even saturated fat isn't bad (hangover from decades of misinformation about cholesterol). Many people are successfully losing weight on ketogenic diet which is very high fat, low carb. Most of us are high Protein, low carb with limited fat. I suspect high Protein, medium fat, limited carb would be best post WLS diet from my own research. I have been high Protein (at least 80g), limited fat, limited carb (less than 50g total carbs which includes fiber).

I did Keto as my 2 week pre diet but found it challenging because I’ve never enjoyed foods high in fats. They used to upset my tummy & reflux so I’ve been low fat for decades. I was also told keto should only be followed short term not as a long term lifestyle choice.

I presumed the low fat recommendation post sleeve was because of the potential for gall bladder problems after surgery. Also my cholesterol went up to 6.9 during my weight loss as it was released from my fat. Thank goodness it’s back down now with a good balance of HDL & LDL.