Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2.5 Months Post op with No Appetite

I've barely eaten in the past week or so. I'm just not hungry at all and when I try to eat anything be it liquid or solid my body doesn't want it. I chew and chew and chew and its s struggle to swallow because I don't want to. I have a Dr. Appointment next week to hopefully resolve some of the issues I'm having. I'm also having sharp pains in my left side where what's left of my stomach sits. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

the appetite thing (or lack there of) is super common after WLS - and for most of us, it doesn't last. My appetite came roaring back at five months out. For some, it can be up to a year. But it eventually returns for almost all of us - unfortunately. I say that because it was never easier for me to lose weight than those five months when I didn't give a hoot about food!

I can't speak to the pain on your left side, though - maybe someone else can chime in on that.

The section of your stomach that is removed is where most of your hunger hormone is produced. This is why we lose our hunger and also why we will regain it (at various strengths).

At 14.5 months out I have days I don’t feel hungry at all but I still try to eat though not as much & try to meet my minimum daily Protein goal. I also have days when I feel hungry but it’s a much gentler feeling like a reminder it must be about lunch or dinner time. (It’s been stronger lately because it’s damn cold in Australia at the moment & I’m a walking ice cube.)

If you tend eat much the same things, maybe add something different to your diet. Try a new recipe, use different spices or add new protein sources, etc. It may stimulate your appetite a little. I used to eat a lot of chicken for lunch now I’ve thrown in fresh prawns a couple of times a week & I look forward to eating them.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope they can identify what’s causing your pain.

Enjoy it while it lasts... I had no Hunger for months and lived off shakes and lost weight like crazy :)

I agree with what everyone has said above. I had no appetite at all for about six months and had to force myself to get enough Protein every day. And as everyone says, your appetite does come back sometime in the first year. I was grateful for my lack of appetite, because it made losing weight quite easy in the beginning.

About a week or so after my surgery, I went through about a month of really intense left sided pain. Dr said that was normal for a lot of people. I am almost 3 months out and still have zero appetite. It is a struggle to even get fluids in. When I drink liquids, two small sips makes me feel like it is going to all come up, but it doesn’t. As for eating, my taste buds have all changed and my pouch can not handle any of the Protein Shakes I have tried.
I just ordered the Gene-Pro tasteless Protein Powder to see if that will help at least get some sort of Protein in me.