Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering RNY; Any success stories that was 370-390lbs?

Hi all!
Er, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm not a vet or anything either. I (Two or Three times) Have considered weight loss surgery and a day or two before surgery date, got too scared and backed out.)
I'm curious as to see if there is any of you, who has been near my weight as listed on the topic, and have seen such amazing results? I'm also not steering clear of the bad side effects (Albeit; rare!) As well.

I'm actually going to see my PCP tomorrow

about getting a referral back into it!

I am back, but this time, I'm dead set on going for the gastric bypass (RNY), As now, this time, I've acquired two MORE reasons (Health-wise) to needing to lose weight, and need a tool. I also have never been skinny, nor have I really ever lived my life. I Just turned 30!
I hope everyone is being safe during this strange time, what with COVID and all! Also, Happy belated 4th of July!

Hi all!
Er, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm not a vet or anything either. I (Two or Three times) Have considered weight loss surgery and a day or two before surgery date, got too scared and backed out.)
I'm curious as to see if there is any of you, who has been near my weight as listed on the topic, and have seen such amazing results? I'm also not steering clear of the bad side effects (Albeit; rare!) As well.

I am back, but this time, I'm dead set on going for the gastric bypass (RNY), As now, this time, I've acquired two MORE reasons (Health-wise) to needing to lose weight, and need a tool. I also have never been skinny, nor have I really ever lived my life. I Just turned 30!
I hope everyone is being safe during this strange time, what with COVID and all! Also, Happy belated 4th of July!

I had my surgery at the end of May and my Highest weight was 351lbs and now I'm about 6 weeks post op and I'm already down to 294lbs! I've lost over 50lbs! As long as you're willing to put in the work and make the lifestyle change (which isn't as hard as it sounds) then you'll do great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, CuriouslyCurious said:

Hi all!

Well done finally making the decision.

I had the bypass it was a quick surgery and easy recovery...

Admittedly I was only 322 highest weight and a male but 35, so we're similar age.

The bypass really worked well for me but I was very strict and no cheating or anything for a long time I've had great results lost all my excess weight and been in maintenance now for 2 months.

It is possible you just have to be 110% mentally prepared for the changes ahead..

yes - we're out here. I started out at 373, got down to a low of 138, stabilized at 150 for a couple of years, but lately since the winter holidays have been mid- to high-150s (now trying to get back down to 150 as I felt the best there).

I had my surgery at the end of May and my Highest weight was 351lbs and now I'm about 6 weeks post op and I'm already down to 294lbs! I've lost over 50lbs! As long as you're willing to put in the work and make the lifestyle change (which isn't as hard as it sounds) then you'll do great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow congratulations!! :) Any regrets?
What about pain or Vitamin deficiencies? Hope you don't mind the questions, I'm just excited and terrified at the same time, if it makes sense.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well done finally making the decision.
I had the bypass it was a quick surgery and easy recovery...
Admittedly I was only 322 highest weight and a male but 35, so we're similar age.
The bypass really worked well for me but I was very strict and no cheating or anything for a long time I've had great results lost all my excess weight and been in maintenance now for 2 months.
It is possible you just have to be 110% mentally prepared for the changes ahead..

Thank you. I am nervous and excited at the prospect of finally living life.
Glad to hear your surgery was a smooth transition! Congratulations on your weight loss!

yes - we're out here. I started out at 373, got down to a low of 138, stabilized at 150 for a couple of years, but lately since the winter holidays have been mid- to high-150s (now trying to get back down to 150 as I felt the best there).
Wow!! Congratulations!! I totally understand that. My family likes to Celebrate with food on holodays and special occasions. I wonder how you cope? Do you miss eating food or is it possible to still love food with the surgery ?

6 hours ago, CuriouslyCurious said:

Wow!! Congratulations!! I totally understand that. My family likes to Celebrate with food on holodays and special occasions. I wonder how you cope? Do you miss eating food or is it possible to still love food with the surgery ?

I've been in maintenance for over three years (I had my surgery five years ago), so I can pretty much eat anything now - just in smaller portions. I've been counting calories since about the one-year out mark, so as long as they fit into my maintenance calorie range, I'm good. Of course I go over my range once in awhile, as even skinny people do, but when I do, I just cut back for a couple of days afterward, and/or increase my exercise. I also weigh myself several times a week and it's all hands on deck if I go over my upper limit. The trick - and my struggle - is to stay within an acceptable weight range and not let myself go over that. I know it would be really easy to start piling on the pounds if I stopped paying close attention.

I still love food - that never changed except for those first few months after surgery when I was never hungry and couldn't have cared less about food. I wish that would have been a permanent change as it's SO much easier to lose weight when you don't really care about eating, but alas - that magical time only lasts a few months for the vast majority of us.

as far as coping with holidays and special occasions - that first year I was VERY compliant and almost never went off my plan. I so much wanted to be normal weight after being overweight or obese almost my entire life and I knew this was my last resort. This was a big - and probably only - opportunity to get the weight off. I wish I still had that resolve!! But I did lose the weight - took me 18-20 months. Now (since reaching maintenance) on holidays I do tend to eat more than I normally do - and I do indulge in treats - but I don't make a pig of myself. But that's how most "normal" people usually handle holidays, too. They may indulge in more treats than usual, but they don't go overboard.

6 hours ago, CuriouslyCurious said:

Wow congratulations!! :) Any regrets?
What about pain or Vitamin deficiencies? Hope you don't mind the questions, I'm just excited and terrified at the same time, if it makes sense.

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but pain is all across the board. From what I can surmise after hanging out on bariatric boards for the last six or so years, most of us have little to no pain with this surgery, though. I had none. I was sent home with a bottle of pain pills which I never opened - I wasn't in pain and didn't need 'em. But if you're one of the unfortunate folks who has pain with this, you'll have something for it - so just take the meds as directed to keep on top of it.

also, Vitamin deficiencies are rare as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. There are some people (a minority) who have a hard time absorbing Iron in pill form who have to get occasional iron infusions, but again, that's not common. As for other deficiencies, most people who have those are those who slack off on taking their vitamins. It's important to keep on top of those - and if you do, you're very unlikely to have any deficienies.

Thank you so much for replying! It helps me see the other side of the daunting surgery. I've been so excited but have a moment of, "I'm really doing this!"

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but pain is all across the board. From what I can surmise after hanging out on bariatric boards for the last six or so years, most of us have little to no pain with this surgery, though. I had none. I was sent home with a bottle of pain pills which I never opened - I wasn't in pain and didn't need 'em. But if you're one of the unfortunate folks who has pain with this, you'll have something for it - so just take the meds as directed to keep on top of it.
also, Vitamin deficiencies are rare as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. There are some people (a minority) who have a hard time absorbing Iron in pill form who have to get occasional Iron infusions, but again, that's not common. As for other deficiencies, most people who have those are those who slack off on taking their Vitamins. It's important to keep on top of those - and if you do, you're very unlikely to have any deficienies.

I’m just about 4 weeks post op and have lost 54 pounds starter out at 378.

29 years old

wish I would have done it sooner!