Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I climbed a mountain. No seriously, I CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN! I stopped doing uphill hikes MANY years ago because my tachycardia was so bad it made me short of breath to the point I had to rest every 20 feet. Today? I hiked for 14.2 miles. I took the shorter but steeper path up, and the longer but less steep way down. I climbed 3989 ft. I reached the summit of our local mountain. It was amazing. And for most of the uphill, I was able to stop at normal people intervals. And only 4 people passed me (one at the beginning, one in the middle, and a couple at the end. I did stop more frequently when was getting closer to the summit, but I really don't think it was moreso than the average exhausted hiker. My HR WAS quite high during all the incline, but my breathing was still controlled. And this is WITHOUT my tachycardia medication which I had to stop several months ago because my BP was getting too low. Needless to say, this is a major victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... and I thought I was down to my "normal" skinny clothing size, so I had bought a bunch of clothes mostly 8's and some 6's. Mostly medium tops but some smalls. This is what I wore before kids, and after kids when I lost all my baby weight and was comfortably skinny. This month I have come to realize that most of my clothing is too big! I just bought new workout clothing. All size smalls. I bought some new pants, skirts, skorts, and shorts... all smalls or SIZE FOUR! I bought new scrubs... X-SMALL! This was shocking! I really hope I am done shrinking now... I like size 4 well enough, but I can NOT go below that! I will continue wearing my tops for now, but I had to replace my bottoms because they were starting to fall off lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, momof3_angels said:

I climbed a mountain. No seriously, I CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN! I stopped doing uphill hikes MANY years ago because my tachycardia was so bad it made me short of breath to the point I had to rest every 20 feet. Today? I hiked for 14.2 miles.

Dayum, Girl!! Way to go! I walked two miles around a flat path today and was proud of that....😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sooooooooo impressed! I can just hear in the background, "Climb every mountain," from The Sound of Music. hehe...You go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

Dayum, Girl!! Way to go! I walked two miles around a flat path today and was proud of that....😅

LOL... that was me not long ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrads - Hitting the little goals is a amazing feeling! I am in Florida so a mountain for us is 5 foot elevation! Enjoy life and keep going up the mountains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!!! What an accomplishment!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

LOL... that was me not long ago!

40 years ago my husband and I were backpackers--we hiked almost the whole Appalachian Trail in Virginia (about 500 miles). We did it in manageable chunks and it was fun. As soon as they open the AT back up I think I'd like to start doing some of the nice day hikes we have here in SW Virginia. I'm not ready for 14 miles but I think I could handle 8 or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

40 years ago my husband and I were backpackers--we hiked almost the whole Appalachian Trail in Virginia (about 500 miles). We did it in manageable chunks and it was fun. As soon as they open the AT back up I think I'd like to start doing some of the nice day hikes we have here in SW Virginia. I'm not ready for 14 miles but I think I could handle 8 or less.

Yes, I was supposed to hike across Spain this summer. Hoping to reschedule for next year. After that I may tackle one of the big US hikes. My sister brought up doing the AT... I hope we can make it happen. Start small and increase from there. You can do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, momof3_angels said:

Yes, I was supposed to hike across Spain this summer. Hoping to reschedule for next year. After that I may tackle one of the big US hikes. My sister brought up doing the AT... I hope we can make it happen. Start small and increase from there. You can do it!

Hey, if you make it to the AT let me know--I can be a Trail Angel for you while you are in Virginia!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2020 at 7:39 PM, JRT Mom said:

Hey, if you make it to the AT let me know--I can be a Trail Angel for you while you are in Virginia!

I don't know how I missed this post a couple weeks ago (I take that back, Coronavirus has taken over my life due to my work lol), but thanks for the kind offer!! I have been thinking more and more that I want to do Spain next year since that was the plan.. and a part of the AT the following year for my 50th birthday. We shall see if I can ever make it happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×