Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 10 days post-op. I am working hard at getting in my fluids and Protein. Yesterday, I counted up my calorie intake out of curiosity and found that, with 64 oz of Fluid and 75 g. of protein, I was only taking in 600 calories. Is that normal? Won't my metabolism switch into "starvation mode" and stall my weight loss? In fact, I have not lost anything appreciable in 3 days, so now I'm worried that this, like so many efforts before, will fail. Yes--lol--I've been burned by dieting many times so I have an incredible fear of failure in this regard.

Should calories matter? I am setting myself up for another let down?

18 minutes ago, amboyle728 said:

I am 10 days post-op. I am working hard at getting in my fluids and Protein. Yesterday, I counted up my calorie intake out of curiosity and found that, with 64 oz of Fluid and 75 g. of Protein, I was only taking in 600 calories. Is that normal? Won't my metabolism switch into "starvation mode" and stall my weight loss? In fact, I have not lost anything appreciable in 3 days, so now I'm worried that this, like so many efforts before, will fail. Yes--lol--I've been burned by dieting many times so I have an incredible fear of failure in this regard.

Should calories matter? I am setting myself up for another let down?

You are 10 days post op. I am 7 weeks and I still can only eat 600 calories a day. You need to focus on your protein and Water as much as possible. I know it's scary, but also try to weigh yourself only once a week so you don't obsess about the scale. Just try to feel better, and keep getting that water and protein in.

If you are still super worried about it, contact your surgeon or your dietitian. They should be able to give you some peace of mind, as well, but mine had told me to focus on water and protein and not the calories for about six months. I only count mine so I can keep track of my protein intake.

Try to take a deep breath and realize that you're on your way to being healthier and feeling better, and you just gotta hang in there. The people here are lovely and supportive- thank you for expressing your concerns so we can help. ❤️

Do not panic over the next few months you will increase your calories you are not going into starvation mode for sure!

Focus on Protein. I personally observed calories, but did not "control" them at 10 days out, other than to follow my doc's and RD's rules which were lean, dense sources of protein to my protein goal which was 60-74g/day protein + low glycemic veg + low fat. That automatically kept my calories super low. I was around 300-450cals at Day 10.

Edited by FluffyChix

OMG amboyle, your cat is gorgeous! Can you post a bigger picture please?

(BTW 600 cals early on is fine!)

Yes. Calories matter.

Though, everyone is different, and our bodies will have different responses to seemingly similar circumstances.

With that said, I went from 100-300 calories the first 4 weeks to 300-500 the next couple months, to 500-750 up until month 7, when I started increasing calories because I wanted to STOP losing weight.

I did not go into "starvation mode" in the sense that likes to be discussed on this forum (I honestly think the way starvation mode is talked about on here is all sorts of wrong, but that is another topic altogether, and I digress...) So long as your body has fat (or other fuel) to burn, it will.

Like the smart people have said above, this early in the game, your focus should be on fluids and protein; you may not be perfect and hit it every single time, but get as close as you can comfortably.

Good Luck!

24 minutes ago, looly said:

OMG amboyle, your cat is gorgeous! Can you post a bigger picture please?

(BTW 600 cals early on is fine!)

Sure thing! LOVE to show off my fur babies. Daisy (the gray) her and her brother Duke (as kittens) and Duke with his pal Nugget :) You're kitty is quite beautiful as well!

Daisy on the Chair.jpg

Duke & Daisy.jpg

Duke and Nugget.jpg

It's normal! No, it will not trigger "starvation mode". Your hormones and metabolism hit a "reset" with surgery. Your body won't recognize it is in "starvation" mode for a long time. And by then, you will be eating more. Drink your Water. Eat your Protein. Don't worry about anything else! But... if you do meet your protein goal you can add in a few healthy veggies that are on your plan. (although at 10 days it is a bit soon for veggies).

I started out at 200, then 400, then 600 kcal per day as time went on during the first 6 months. I'm 18 months postop now and have lost 95#. My doctor told me to eat no more than 800-1,000 kcal per day forever and no more than 1 c. of food per meal.

Yes, calories matter but so do carbs, Protein and Water. Every day I drink an Isopure protein water so I get Fluid plus 40gm of protein. It makes it easier to get my daily protein level. My doctor encourages low carb. Once I got used to eating this way, it has become my "new normal."

Keep working the Plan!! It will work!

nope. Normal. The whole "starvation mode" thing is kind of controversial in the first place - not everyone thinks it actually happens. That said, I ate between 600-800 calories for several months after surgery. I was probably close to a year out before I consistently got 1000 or more a day.

Amboyle - your cats are beautiful - I'm well jealous!

My icon is my dear departed Mrs Woo, who died 3 years ago. Haven't been able to find a replacement for her yet, she was such a perfect cat.

8 hours ago, looly said:

Haven't been able to find a replacement for her yet, she was such a perfect cat.

Oh and you likely never will. We can never replace the fur babies we lose, We can only fill the empty spot with love for another. At least, that's what I've found...there are many out there, waiting for love!