Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who was given this to take? My doc prescribed this to me because of my severe nausea. I have to dissolve it into Water before taking and take it as a shot. Question: can I drink a chaser after? I’m assuming it’s going to taste horrible 🤢 I know I can’t eat, but what about drinking?

56 minutes ago, boymom2 said:

Who was given this to take? My doc prescribed this to me because of my severe nausea. I have to dissolve it into Water before taking and take it as a shot. Question: can I drink a chaser after? I’m assuming it’s going to taste horrible 🤢 I know I can’t eat, but what about drinking?

I developed an ulcer and have to take Omeprazole and sucralfate for 3 months. Everyone told me how bad it would taste. I don't think it tastes like anything, to tell the truth. Maybe a little chalky, but not horrible or bitter or anything like that. Don't drink a chaser - i think that sort of defeats the purpose. It is supposed to coat the lining of the stomach and duodenum. You are also supposed to take it on an empty stomach.

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

I developed an ulcer and have to take Omeprazole and sucralfate for 3 months. Everyone told me how bad it would taste. I don't think it tastes like anything, to tell the truth. Maybe a little chalky, but not horrible or bitter or anything like that. Don't drink a chaser - i think that sort of defeats the purpose. It is supposed to coat the lining of the stomach and duodenum. You are also supposed to take it on an empty stomach.

How long before you can drink? I know it’s 1 hour before food, is it the same for liquids?

1 hour ago, boymom2 said:

How long before you can drink? I know it’s 1 hour before food, is it the same for liquids?

Give your pharmacist a call. They can tell you the specifics. I think I am supposed to wait at least 30 min before eating or drinking anything. Honestly, it is nigh unto impossible for me to take it appropriately 4 times a day as directed. I have to separate it an hour from the omeprazole which is supposed to be on an empty stomach and 30 minutes before a meal. I can't get all the timing down correctly on work days, as my lunch time is so erratic and I have to eat more than 3 times a day just to get enough calories in. Furthermore, most docs say it doesn't do much, anyway. The omeprazole is what makes the real difference for me, although I hope I will not be on it much longer, due to long term side effects. If you are having problems, maybe it is related more to the position or adjustment of the band.

Likewise, check with your doc or pharmacist on specific instructions, but think of sucrafate (and the currently much more expensive liquid version, carafate) as industrial strength Pepto Mismol (at least the description in their commercials) in that it coats the stomach to protect it and relieve irritation, allowing it to heal. Eating or drinking after taking it washes it away.

My gastro put me on it for a while, and when talking to him about this - that since I ate 5-6 meals a day and drank Water in between, it didn't make sense to follow the typical directions. He said, 'you're right, just take it overnight.' Now, that was fine for my needs, but may not be appropriate for you, so talk to your doc.

10 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Give your pharmacist a call. They can tell you the specifics. I think I am supposed to wait at least 30 min before eating or drinking anything. Honestly, it is nigh unto impossible for me to take it appropriately 4 times a day as directed. I have to separate it an hour from the omeprazole which is supposed to be on an empty stomach and 30 minutes before a meal. I can't get all the timing down correctly on work days, as my lunch time is so erratic and I have to eat more than 3 times a day just to get enough calories in. Furthermore, most docs say it doesn't do much, anyway. The omeprazole is what makes the real difference for me, although I hope I will not be on it much longer, due to long term side effects. If you are having problems, maybe it is related more to the position or adjustment of the band.

I am a revision patient. I was sleeved on 1-30. My main reason for taking this medication is because I’m nauseous all day. My doc thought this may help me. I am only supposed to take mine 3x a day. He also gave me zofran.

1 hour ago, RickM said:

Likewise, check with your doc or pharmacist on specific instructions, but think of sucrafate (and the currently much more expensive liquid version, carafate) as industrial strength Pepto Mismol (at least the description in their commercials) in that it coats the stomach to protect it and relieve irritation, allowing it to heal. Eating or drinking after taking it washes it away.

My gastro put me on it for a while, and when talking to him about this - that since I ate 5-6 meals a day and drank Water in between, it didn't make sense to follow the typical directions. He said, 'you're right, just take it overnight.' Now, that was fine for my needs, but may not be appropriate for you, so talk to your doc.

Thank you! This nausea is a killer!