Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does surgery take?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me about their actual experience the day of surgery and what to expect? I am waiting for approval on the sleeve surgery which is anytime now! How long does the surgery take?

Edited by Tiredmimi

I went in for surgery about 1:30 pm. I woke up about 6pm, still very groggy. Used the bathroom, and went back to bed. Woke up at 5am, ready to face the world. Felt amazing! I got dressed, did my makeup, walked and walked. By 10am I was discharged.

My surgeon said my surgery was about 45 minutes.

Sleeve surgery normally takes 2.5 to 3 hours is what my surgeon told me. My sleeve surgery took 3.5 hours.

I just got revised to bypass. That was expected to take 4 hours but actually took 5.5 hours. It also included a hernia repair.

my RNY took just over an hour. But there's the prep and the recovery, of course - that may be why some people are reporting theirs taking a lot longer than that (??). The surgery itself is pretty quick, unless you have other issues going on (like a hernia).

Edited by catwoman7

My rny was done robotically and I had a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed. Neither surgery included recovery as my family was able to watch on a screen in the waiting room showing exactly when I was in surgery and then moved to recovery.

You could ask your surgeon what his/her average time is for the surgery to get a better idea.

7 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

My rny was done robotically and I had a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed. Neither surgery included recovery as my family was able to watch on a screen in the waiting room showing exactly when I was in surgery and then moved to recovery.

might have been the scar tissue that was removed that - (i.e., that took the extra time). Also, I'm not sure if having surgery done robotically takes longer or not - if so, that might have been a factor as well.

Mine took about two and a half hours, but I had a band removed, a hernia repaired and a RNY all at the same time. Your mileage may vary!

The surgery itself takes 45 minutes to an hour, I think. But of course you have to get there an hour or more early to get prepped and checked in and everything and it takes a while to wake up in recovery, so overall it takes maybe 3 hours.

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

might have been the scar tissue that was removed that - (i.e., that took the extra time). Also, I'm not sure if having surgery done robotically takes longer or not - if so, that might have been a factor as well.

Right. I agree. Also the hernia was much larger than expected. My dr saw it from egd and thought it was small. He ended up needing to do a repair with mesh.

My surgery was about 1 1/2 hours. It is kind of funny, but it has only been a little over 4 months... .but I had the sleeve surgery, my took my daughter for dental surgery, then I had another kind of surgery "attempt", and then I had the actual "other" surgery (obgyn related) a few weeks ago. I can't remember all the details of my VSG surgery now! lol. I know I was on full liquids for a couple days. Then I had orders to drink a sugary drink the night before and morning of (but otherwise nothing to eat or drink after midnight). I took my medicine for tachycardia in the AM as instructed. Went to the hospital by 6am, maybe 6:30. Got weighed. Started my IV (took several attempts). Hung out impatiently. I vaguely remember going back to the OR. I remember them starting to do the OR "right patient right surgery" checks. Woke up a couple hours later, don't remember my recovery room but I do remember my room. And of course post op was medications, Fluid challenges, walking, etc. Went home by 11:30 the next day. Oh... and the doc told me I would have 3 or 4 incisions before the surgery, but I had all 7 when I woke up! But all healed nicely.

Edited by momof3_angels