Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve heard that taste changes after surgery, but how? I would love to like salmon because it’s so common in restaurants and always looks good, but I don’t like the taste. Might I like it after surgery? If your tast changed, in what way did it happen?

Mine didn't really change - it just became more intense. Sweet things tasted sweeter; spicy things tasted spicier. I had a hard time handling either one of those in the early post-op months. They don't bother me anymore - not sure if my sense of taste eventually went back to normal or if I just got used to more intensity.

P.S. I really hated bananas for awhile - a fruit I loved pre-op. But I think it was more the sweetness than the banana taste. However, I'm eating them again and have been for awhile. But the first few months - ugh.

Edited by catwoman7

I know my taste changed regarding Protein Shakes. The day after surgery I could not tolerate certain flavors that I previously liked such as premier’s caramel flavor (but I love it in my coffee). I have also noticed that anything sweet tastes extremely sweet. Before surgery I loved plain Water now I have to flavor it to drink. So I guess it truly varies.

Personally I haven't noticed any changes yet but I'm just over 3 weeks post-op. I hope they do change a bit so that I can tolerate veggies more.

i was a red meat person did not care for poultry at all i dont really do any red meat now eat lots of fish and chicken and turkey almost no pork at all (bacon yummmmm) has not really changed taste just what i can eat and keep down without feeling sick

I think this if Folk Lore - I dont thing our taste change i think it is the food we can eat and used to eat changes

Although Im only 4 months in so really to early for me to comment

Develope my attitude and you wont have to worry about taste ------- F#$ck FOOD

Most of the changes for me have been for the better. The only negative I have experienced so far is that my favorite Protein Shake pre-op now tastes TERRIBLE! So I have 2 pounds of it sitting in my pantry just praying it will taste good soon.

Aside from that, everything tastes so much better, it's amazing. Each meal seems better than the last, which is a nice change since before I just kind of ate to live and nothing really wowed me. I've not really moved myself to full meats since my revision, so I'm not sure how I will tolerate everything well yet, but we shall see!

I actually asked my Doc about this a couple of days ago.
For me, I have a lot of food that I did like and did eat much of before surgery tasting REALLY bad and smelling really bad. Luckily, most of those things are things you shouldn't be eating anyway. Like meatballs. I cannot fattum that anyone can eat that. It smells, it tastes horrible and don't get me started on the consistency. Hamburger is another thing that is qute disqusting.

You can't cook those micro waved premade meals from a package in my house, or at my work anymore. The smell makes me gang, it smells like industry food from a hospital 😂

Dicovering this ,I have also tried to eat some healthier food that I didn't like before surgery to see if I like it. Very little luck on that one.

I also find myself enjoying making my own food more and more. That way I can season it how I like.

Here is whaat my doc said :

"Change in the taste, smell or tolerance of food following bariatric surgery is a common phenomenon. One study showed that as many as 97% of patients experience at least one such change following these surgeries. The exact cause of these changes following bariatric surgery is not yet clear, but many researchers suspect that fluctuating gut hormones and the effect these have on the nervous system may play a role.

According to a study conducted by researchers from the University Hospitals of Leicester, which included 103 patients who underwent gastric bypass, 73% reported changes in the taste of food and almost 50% reported changes in smell.

The most commonly reported taste changes were heightened sensitivity to sweet food, sour food and fast food."

Edited by MsMocie

For a while I HATED the taste of vanilla. I also am now obsessed with cottage cheese, but never ate it prior to surgery. I like vanilla again, now, though.

I was never a person with a sweet tooth (I preferred salty things more), but now I find that I more easily gravitate towards the sweet stuff.

However, this only seemed to happen when I introduced sweetness into my diet. During weight loss phase I was still pretty ambivalent towards dessert, but since going into maintenance and allowing myself some, I actually think I want it more. 🤷🏼‍♀️