Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm Miriam, this is my first time joining anything like this. Please go easy. I had the gastric sleeve surgery 9/9/19. I was 278lbs at 5'4''... today, 258.4lbs. So I'm about a month post op. At first I could tell the surgery had effected my appetite and could only eat soft, small portions. Today, I can eat a 14 oz steak with sides if I allowed myself! I'm always hungry again! I'm so disappointed in myself for going right back to my old ways of thinking of food. Is it possible that this surgery only worked temporarily? My NP for my surgeon said that I should be losing a pound a day. Any feedback would be appreciated! Is this stagnant weight normal?

Edited by mirirose

I'm confused are you now 178 or 258?

Thanks for noticing my typo. I started at 278lbs and now I’m 258.

I am from Australia, so we think in kilos, not pounds. So you have lost about 9kg in a month. That's ok, I think. I am surprised that you can eat steak and sides. At that 1st month point, I was still restricted to Optifast twice a day (surgeons orders) and struggled to get through one! I lost 10kg in the first month (22 pounds).

Even now, I have a hard time getting through a 200 gram steak (which I think is 7 oz?), and can never eat sides. I usually order an entree from a menu as my main. Luckily, if I can't finish my meal, I have a husband who can!

I am 18 months out and have lost 40kg (about 90 pounds). Still got 10 kg (22 pounds) to go until I reach "wedding weight!! But I am quite tall at 175cm so everyone is telling me not to lose any more. I have done it slow and steady, and am delighted that I have no loose skin at all!

Best wishes. It's early days yet for you. Keep positive!

1 minute ago, Saxons said:

I am from Australia, so we think in kilos, not pounds. So you have lost about 9kg in a month. That's ok, I think. I am surprised that you can eat steak and sides. At that 1st month point, I was still restricted to Optifast twice a day (surgeons orders) and struggled to get through one! I lost 10kg in the first month (22 pounds).

Even now, I have a hard time getting through a 200 gram steak (which I think is 7 oz?), and can never eat sides. I usually order an entree from a menu as my main. Luckily, if I can't finish my meal, I have a husband who can!

I am 18 months out and have lost 40kg (about 90 pounds). Still got 10 kg (22 pounds) to go until I reach "wedding weight!! But I am quite tall at 175cm so everyone is telling me not to lose any more. I have done it slow and steady, and am delighted that I have no loose skin at all!

Best wishes. It's early days yet for you. Keep positive!

Nice to find someone Australian like myself.. I use a conversation calculator to write in lbs and most ppl on here use lbs instead of kgs..

I find the same my surgeon says to stay on liquids for at least a few weeks shakes etc but I see others advancing to next stage early as 1 week post op... I feel it's best to let the pouch and all heal before rushing to the next stages...

22 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

Nice to find someone Australian like myself.. I use a conversation calculator to write in lbs and most ppl on here use lbs instead of kgs..

I find the same my surgeon says to stay on liquids for at least a few weeks shakes etc but I see others advancing to next stage early as 1 week post op... I feel it's best to let the pouch and all heal before rushing to the next stages...

Me too! My appetite has shrunk remarkably. Even if I think I am hungry, after a few bites, I feel full. It is a bit frustrating that when you are eating something that tastes delicious, but you can't take another bite. I do love a rare eye fillet!

I have learnt my lesson though. If I try to eat more when my tiny tummy pouch is full, I will end up in the bathroom vomiting it all out. I probably eat/drink the wrong foods sometimes (who doesn't love a nice sauvignon blanc?!) which has slowed my weight loss, but I am happy where am, and my goal.

For reference, I am an Australian size 12, which is an American size 8. I want to get to Australian size 10, USA size 6.

Edited by Saxons

This post is common - I have no idea how you can eat a 14 oz steak after this surgery I am lucky if i can eat 4oz. You are at a crossroads, same position most of us hit. You are head hungry not really hungry, sorry seems brutal but once the shock and awe was over you are losing the battle in your head not your stomach. My view is you need a nutritionist or a deep study into nutrition. The surgery is a tool it shrunk your stomach by 85% and removed the nerves that made you feel hungry.

Couple of things you did not mention you should be filling up on Protein Shakes Loaded with Vitamins and supplements. This will make you feel incredible without calories. I am out about 120 days and there is not a chance in hell i would try and eat steak or any solid hard food.

I suggest you set a daily routine - If you read around here there are a ton of people who have posted there Routine. here is mine set by a Paid Nutritionist

1. Breakfast - 10 oz protien shake 30g protien 20 Calories, Two heaping Yogurt spoon fulls Vitamin powder and Supplement Powder. I also add a few pieces of fruit for taste - 8 blueberrys or 3 cut peaches or a few strawberrys- You drink this over 30 min and no way you are hungry!

2. 10:00 Am - A Protien Bar - High end good quaility Bar - If i need it usually dont

3. lunch - This is a tough one for me due to work so usually - Handful of peanuts, granola or maybe some chuncked fish or turkey

4. 2:00 Here comes another Protien shake - Usually add Peanut Butter or some other funky Yogurt etc

5. 5:30 By dinner i am whipped so really have no desire to eat, usually skip about half the time - Scallops, Shrimp, Fish or a simple Protein, Side is usually some small veggie

6. 40oz Water a day - I CAN SAY I HATE WATER BUT IT IS A KEY TO FLUSHING OUT AND KEEPING THE KETOSIS GOING.

i have this down where i can adjust my loss from .05 pounds per day up to 3/4 a day - I am also very active so that really helps me out.

Summary - You have completed step one the surgery - Step two is the diet and intake - The mind is brutal on this surgery and head games to me are harder then the dang surgery to me - You said size i have gone from a size 50 pants to 42 currently and this is the reward! We all were food addicted no doubt - THe US is freakin disgusting with how we eat, Huge portions, all processed and filled with sugar.

Good luck and you will get it - I have stalled a few times due to Vodka and M and M's so its not like your alone

14 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

This post is common - I have no idea how you can eat a 14 oz steak after this surgery I am lucky if i can eat 4oz. You are at a crossroads, same position most of us hit. You are head hungry not really hungry, sorry seems brutal but once the shock and awe was over you are losing the battle in your head not your stomach. My view is you need a nutritionist or a deep study into nutrition. The surgery is a tool it shrunk your stomach by 85% and removed the nerves that made you feel hungry.

Couple of things you did not mention you should be filling up on Protein Shakes Loaded with Vitamins and supplements. This will make you feel incredible without calories. I am out about 120 days and there is not a chance in hell i would try and eat steak or any solid hard food.

I suggest you set a daily routine - If you read around here there are a ton of people who have posted there Routine. here is mine set by a Paid Nutritionist

1. Breakfast - 10 oz protien shake 30g protien 20 Calories, Two heaping Yogurt spoon fulls Vitamin powder and Supplement Powder. I also add a few pieces of fruit for taste - 8 blueberrys or 3 cut peaches or a few strawberrys- You drink this over 30 min and no way you are hungry!

2. 10:00 Am - A Protien Bar - High end good quaility Bar - If i need it usually dont

3. lunch - This is a tough one for me due to work so usually - Handful of peanuts, granola or maybe some chuncked fish or turkey

4. 2:00 Here comes another Protien shake - Usually add Peanut Butter or some other funky Yogurt etc

5. 5:30 By dinner i am whipped so really have no desire to eat, usually skip about half the time - Scallops, Shrimp, Fish or a simple Protein, Side is usually some small veggie

6. 40oz Water a day - I CAN SAY I HATE Water BUT IT IS A KEY TO FLUSHING OUT AND KEEPING THE KETOSIS GOING.

i have this down where i can adjust my loss from .05 pounds per day up to 3/4 a day - I am also very active so that really helps me out.

Summary - You have completed step one the surgery - Step two is the diet and intake - The mind is brutal on this surgery and head games to me are harder then the dang surgery to me - You said size i have gone from a size 50 pants to 42 currently and this is the reward! We all were food addicted no doubt - THe US is freakin disgusting with how we eat, Huge portions, all processed and filled with sugar.

Good luck and you will get it - I have stalled a few times due to Vodka and M and M's so its not like your alone

So true mate ppl need to put more effort and learn the best way to get everything they can from surgery mate.

I'm preop on my own diet for 6 weeks now. Max 1000kcal high protein.low carbs. Nothing bad. No sugar. No junk at all... I've been very strict on myself which I know I'll have to continue post op!!

You're right they gotta have their head 110% in the game not just 50%

10 hours ago, mirirose said:

Hello! I'm Miriam, this is my first time joining anything like this. Please go easy. I had the gastric sleeve surgery 9/9/19. I was 278lbs at 5'4''... today, 258.4lbs. So I'm about a month post op. At first I could tell the surgery had effected my appetite and could only eat soft, small portions. Today, I can eat a 14 oz steak with sides if I allowed myself! I'm always hungry again! I'm so disappointed in myself for going right back to my old ways of thinking of food. Is it possible that this surgery only worked temporarily? My NP for my surgeon said that I should be losing a pound a day. Any feedback would be appreciated! Is this stagnant weight normal?

Congrats on one month out. Glad you reached out and posted

Did you weigh your steak and sides to know the oz? Can I ask if how long it takes to eat 14 ounces of steak? Are you eating it on one sitting? Or several small meals to eat around surgery restriction? (grazing food)

Have you called your surgeons office about how much food you can eat if its in one sitting?

11 hours ago, mirirose said:

Your surgery restriction will become less over time. I am surprised that you can eat this much in one sitting at a month out. First months is your best surgery restriction. After your first year weight loss slows down.

I am suspecting you are grazing. I hope this is the case and not in one sitting.

If you are grazing small meals to get his in, it’s a behavior you can change. Understand most have gained weight back due to grazing and food choices. The only reason for gain is eating over your calories. Are you logging your food?

Strategies for hunger

1. Clear your home of temptation foods
  2. Stay on your food plan
  3. Weigh and log your food to make sure your calories/macros are in range (bariatastic or myfitnesspal)
  4. Extra carbs and sugar cause hunger. Get them out of your diet and detox off them.
  5. Eat dense food. Nothing purees or soft
  6. You can fill your extra sleeve space and still stay within your weight loss calories. With your Protein (and items on your plan) fill the space with raw veggies until full. They are low calorie and will keep you in weight loss mode.
  7. Keep healthy options on hand for sweet and salty cravings.
  8. Keep a veggie tray for snacking. If you try to bargin with yourself for other options, its head hunger.

Wish you the best. Give us an update when you can.