Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The WORST Loser

Hi! New to this but hoping this forum will help. I am 3 mos post op VSG and I am the worst loser! My starting weight on surgery day was 286 lbs (my heighest weight was 312 lbs). At 8 weeks, I had lost 16 lbs. That doesn't seem like much? I did have a 10 period of Constipation that put me in the ER for 7 hours one day. And I didn't eat anything at all for 3 days during that time. But since then, I've actually gained 3 lbs at my 3 mos. checkup last week. My surgeon was genuinely disappointed and surprised. One of my problems is that NOTHING bothers my stomach - I can literally eat anything. And quantity seems to be a non-issue as well. And I've definitely fallen off the wagon tracking. SO - I need to get back on track NOW. I didn't do the surgery to allow this to happen to me. Any help is appreciated!!

Get back on track. Measure your food and eat slowly to give your body time to feel full. Eat at the same times each and every day. Protein, protein, protein. Saying that you didn't do the surgery to allow this to happen to you is a huge tell. The surgery isn't doing this to you. You may want to look into some therapy as well. It has helped me immensely. Good luck.

Log your food. I use Lose It.
You don’t realize all the calories going in until you see it in print.
You can do this. Grab a hold now before it gets out of hand. Get with your Dietitian and see what she can suggest for you. Good luck. You can do it!

Following your program and tracking your food is critical to your success. At over four years out, I still track all my food and will for the rest of my life. I did not go through all this just to gain all my weight back.

Yes as everyone said... track your food. Eat the amount you're suppose to even if you don't feel overly full. If you don't eat enough you won't lose and if you eat too much you won't lose. So tracking is very important!!

It's a bit early to consider but, in a few weeks, if things are not progressing, you could try the VSG Sleeve Reset ...

Ask and I'll cut and paste it for you if you can't locate it on Bariatric Pal.

EAT S L O W L Y. Allow your body to realize it is full. Chew your food thoroughly. Sometimes I end up spitting out my last bite because I have not realized I am full. I measure everything. Follow the rules. Eat Protein first.

So, in addition to what everyone else recommended, it's not just the tracking that is important, which it is, but it's WHAT you're putting in your stomach. Calorie-rich foods can ruin everything if you're not careful. If you didn't spend any time changing your eating habits before the surgery, the whole thing won't do you any good if you didn't change the type of food you're eating. Bottom line, get rid of processed foods, high-fat foods and carbs and replace with lean Proteins, veggies, fruit and a crap-ton of Water. You can do this!

You guys are wonderful. I actually feel like someone cares and understands. The past few days have been MUCH better. I'm logging EVERYTHING and making most of my meals ahead of time again. I live alone so this way I can just heat and eat and not "deviate". I feel newly motivated. I also realized I'm not actually drinking 64 oz. of water!!! My bottle is only 28 oz which is only 56 oz if I drink 2 - yikes!! I am also taking 15 min. each morning to do something physical before getting for work - weights, leg lifts, or a few mins. on the Gazelle - yup!! I have one of those!!