Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS and Clothes

So, I'm down to a size 42 waist, down from a size 54 at my heaviest. I was wondering at what point I can start buying pants and shirts at a place like Target or Walmart again. (Yes, I know, they're not super high end, but I'm going to be losing more weight and I need interim clothing, especially with Fall/Winter on their way)

Congratulations on your weight loss. My husband wore a 42 before he lost weight and could easily find pants/shorts at pretty much all the big box stores. I don’t shop at Walmart so I don’t know about them, but Target did carry some, not a lot. Their quality can be a bit inconsistent so the fit can also be inconsistent.

He had a lot of luck at Kohl’s and Amazon. You can find great sales and coupons for Kohl’s and if you check out Amazon Essentials line you will find awesome pricing.

Whoops just saw guys room at the top my bad I really didn’t realize. Peace out!

36 minutes ago, Mom_of_Chaos said:

You should be able to find them in a 42 now!

Oh shoot me too! I never read or post in this forum.

42 and under are available at most places.
Even Kohl's has larger sizes now.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Ellf said:

So, I'm down to a size 42 waist, down from a size 54 at my heaviest. I was wondering at what point I can start buying pants and shirts at a place like Target or Walmart again. (Yes, I know, they're not super high end, but I'm going to be losing more weight and I need interim clothing, especially with Fall/Winter on their way)

I cannot answer your question as I haven't bought anything but socks and underwear from WM in many years, I have to buy FR (Fire Retardant) clothes for my work so I just wear those jeans for everyday clothes as well, shorts, sweats, shirts, etc...I buy online. BUT, I just wanted to give you a huge congrats!!!! I know the feeling as we have almost the exact same stats. I was up to 420 in 2015, am 5' 10''. I was up to a 54 waist also. I am currently in a loose 40 and saving pennies for some 38s. I had a bunch of stuff, down to 36 because I had lost down to 190 but when I gained a bunch back (up to 330) I got pissed/depressed/whatever, and gave all my smaller clothes away....again. I had my revision from sleeve to bypass in June and now having to keep buying all these clothes all over again. Anyway, congrats on the amazing weight loss, keep it up.

Shoot, you're lower than me and in less time. What did you weigh on surgery day?

45 minutes ago, Ellf said:

Shoot, you're lower than me and in less time. What did you weigh on surgery day?

I assume you meant my original sleeve surgery, I managed to lose 45 lbs pre-op so I was at 375 on surgery date. As for my revision, I lost 30 lbs pre-op so was at 300 on 6/15/19.

Ah, that explains it. I was 360.8 on surgery day myself.

Try to get by on the minimum on purchasing. I made the mistake of buying new clothes when I thought I was close to losing what I needed. I went from a 44/46 jeans down to a 36/38 and thought I was close to being done losing inches. I’m now down to a 32/33 waist. Keep up the good work!

Walmart (love it or hate it) has great deals. I get the $3 tshirts and $6/7 athletic shirts. Also get jeans and shorts for under $20. Best bang for my buck when i was shifting sizes.

Wal Mart has those sizes. I went to Good Will and bought shirts and pants knowing that I would not wear them very long. My local area has a place where you can exchange your larger sizes for smaller sizes as well. The owner of the resale shop had bariatric surgery so is understanding

On 8/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Ellf said:

I need interim clothing

For me it was the opposite, I needed interim clothing after gaining 100 lbs is less than a year. I found that eBay is a good source for "temporary" high quality clothing if you spend some time and look. Make sure you buy from a seller that advertises non-smoking / pet free home and has a good number of positive ratings since there are sellers that will offer knock-offs.

I picked up a lot of 6 "real" Ralph Lauren Polo Shirt's in 4XB size at 1/4 retail price. They were all pre-ownd but in near new shape, one still had the tags on them. Found similar quality in dress pants.