Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I am 3 days out from my sleeve and feeling pretty good. Minimal discomfort. Admittedly, flying across the country to have it done, and then returning home 2 days later has its risks associated with it, but I just had a run in with a doctor that I want to talk about.

My wife went into an urgent care clinic today to get stitches removed from an accident she had with some glassware. I took her in for it, and while I was there, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have my incisions checked out. They werent bothering me, but the largest incision's dressing did look a bit puffy and had some Fluid built up due to a shower, so I signed myself in.

Doctor entered the room, and asked what was up. After some pleasantries and medical history, and explaining what I would like her to do (check out, confirm everything looks play, re-dress), she immediately berated me.

"Did you fly across the country to save money? that was stupid, you are going to have problems"

me: "No, it was more expensive, but since I travel for a living and did not have time for the hoops that seem to come with every NY based clinic, I paid a premium for a fast track program"

"well, the fact that you had this procedure, and then flew was stupid. I am taking on a liability just seeing you now. was your surgeon even licensed?"

....

and then proceeded to tell me that "you're gonna have major issues. good luck seeing anyone here, no surgeon that I know of would help you if this goes sideways. You're lucky you didnt have an embolism in flight"

------

Not looking for any advice per se, since this isnt an open issue. Just venting. Wondering if anyone here has run into anything similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Vance-666 said:

I am 3 days out from my sleeve and feeling pretty good. Minimal discomfort. Admittedly, flying across the country to have it done, and then returning home 2 days later has its risks associated with it, but I just had a run in with a doctor that I want to talk about.

My wife went into an urgent care clinic today to get stitches removed from an accident she had with some glassware. I took her in for it, and while I was there, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have my incisions checked out. They werent bothering me, but the largest incision's dressing did look a bit puffy and had some Fluid built up due to a shower, so I signed myself in.

Doctor entered the room, and asked what was up. After some pleasantries and medical history, and explaining what I would like her to do (check out, confirm everything looks play, re-dress), she immediately berated me.

"Did you fly across the country to save money? that was stupid, you are going to have problems"

me: "No, it was more expensive, but since I travel for a living and did not have time for the hoops that seem to come with every NY based clinic, I paid a premium for a fast track program"

"well, the fact that you had this procedure, and then flew was stupid. I am taking on a liability just seeing you now. was your surgeon even licensed?"

....

and then proceeded to tell me that "you're gonna have major issues. good luck seeing anyone here, no surgeon that I know of would help you if this goes sideways. You're lucky you didnt have an embolism in flight"

------

Not looking for any advice per se, since this isnt an open issue. Just venting. Wondering if anyone here has run into anything similar.

Congrats on 3 days out. Vent away!

Many Dr’s have no bed side manor. I would have told her to shut it, I’m not here for your personal opinions.

Its a similar situation where I live. My bariatric office will not work with patients that have surgery out of the country. They refer patients from Mexico to their family physician. If they have complications they have to look into surgeons outside the bariatric program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, Vance and vent freely!

I am so lucky that I haven't run into any doctors that are such d1cks as the ones you both describe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! That sucks you had to hear all that negativity from a doctor. As for your incisions, try using some gold Dial soap with warm Water. Don’t completely soak them but wash them and immediately dry. It will help with preventing infection. Mine started healing really nicely after about 5-7 days. Hope you don’t have to deal with any more rude doctors in the future. This app really is helpful and offers various support. Good luck on your journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/18/2019 at 14:43, Vance-666 said:



I am 3 days out from my sleeve and feeling pretty good. Minimal discomfort. Admittedly, flying across the country to have it done, and then returning home 2 days later has its risks associated with it, but I just had a run in with a doctor that I want to talk about.




My wife went into an urgent care clinic today to get stitches removed from an accident she had with some glassware. I took her in for it, and while I was there, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have my incisions checked out. They werent bothering me, but the largest incision's dressing did look a bit puffy and had some Fluid built up due to a shower, so I signed myself in.




Doctor entered the room, and asked what was up. After some pleasantries and medical history, and explaining what I would like her to do (check out, confirm everything looks play, re-dress), she immediately berated me.




"Did you fly across the country to save money? that was stupid, you are going to have problems"




me: "No, it was more expensive, but since I travel for a living and did not have time for the hoops that seem to come with every NY based clinic, I paid a premium for a fast track program"




"well, the fact that you had this procedure, and then flew was stupid. I am taking on a liability just seeing you now. was your surgeon even licensed?"




....




and then proceeded to tell me that "you're gonna have major issues. good luck seeing anyone here, no surgeon that I know of would help you if this goes sideways. You're lucky you didnt have an embolism in flight"




------




Not looking for any advice per se, since this isnt an open issue. Just venting. Wondering if anyone here has run into anything similar.


Oy vey! Takes all kinds in this world. I got WLS shamed by a nurse during one of my pre-op appts. She couldn’t believe that insurance would pay for my surgery because I wasn’t as big as she thought I should be. Funny thing is.... I didn’t ask this boor for her opinion. Best of luck to you going forward. I’m in Ny too! Long Island

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Chiptress said:

Oy vey! Takes all kinds in this world. I got WLS shamed by a nurse during one of my pre-op appts. She couldn’t believe that insurance would pay for my surgery because I wasn’t as big as she thought I should be. Funny thing is.... I didn’t ask this boor for her opinion. Best of luck to you going forward. I’m in Ny too! Long Island

Its amazing how much people suck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, klm1648 said:

Wow! That sucks you had to hear all that negativity from a doctor. As for your incisions, try using some gold Dial soap with warm Water. Don’t completely soak them but wash them and immediately dry. It will help with preventing infection. Mine started healing really nicely after about 5-7 days. Hope you don’t have to deal with any more rude doctors in the future. This app really is helpful and offers various support. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you so much! I am sure that this wont be the last for many of us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good place to vent. Sorry the doctor treated you like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow...I am sorry you had to endure such behavior. Be careful with your incisions, since it can be easy to develop an infection. You may need to wait a few days for a full shower (I know yuck), but I was told to wait about a week after and no full baths for 6 weeks.

Edited by lyladyp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, Vance-666 said:

I am 3 days out from my sleeve and feeling pretty good. Minimal discomfort. Admittedly, flying across the country to have it done, and then returning home 2 days later has its risks associated with it, but I just had a run in with a doctor that I want to talk about.

My wife went into an urgent care clinic today to get stitches removed from an accident she had with some glassware. I took her in for it, and while I was there, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have my incisions checked out. They werent bothering me, but the largest incision's dressing did look a bit puffy and had some Fluid built up due to a shower, so I signed myself in.

Doctor entered the room, and asked what was up. After some pleasantries and medical history, and explaining what I would like her to do (check out, confirm everything looks play, re-dress), she immediately berated me.

"Did you fly across the country to save money? that was stupid, you are going to have problems"

me: "No, it was more expensive, but since I travel for a living and did not have time for the hoops that seem to come with every NY based clinic, I paid a premium for a fast track program"

"well, the fact that you had this procedure, and then flew was stupid. I am taking on a liability just seeing you now. was your surgeon even licensed?"

....

and then proceeded to tell me that "you're gonna have major issues. good luck seeing anyone here, no surgeon that I know of would help you if this goes sideways. You're lucky you didnt have an embolism in flight"

------

Not looking for any advice per se, since this isnt an open issue. Just venting. Wondering if anyone here has run into anything similar.

AND JUST THINK YOU ARE PAYING HER TO TALK TO YOU THIS WAY I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND DOCTORS THAT ACT LIKE THIS WHEN THEY NEED THERE CAR FIXED WHAT IF I TREATED THEM LIKE THIS SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUPPORTIVE OF YOU MAKING HEALTHY CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE SORRY YOU HAD TO ENDURE THIS KIND OF TREATMENT CONGRATS ON YOU NEW JOURNEY IN LIFE CHEERS !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VIKING 0424 said:

AND JUST THINK YOU ARE PAYING HER TO TALK TO YOU THIS WAY I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND DOCTORS THAT ACT LIKE THIS WHEN THEY NEED THERE CAR FIXED WHAT IF I TREATED THEM LIKE THIS SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUPPORTIVE OF YOU MAKING HEALTHY CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE SORRY YOU HAD TO ENDURE THIS KIND OF TREATMENT CONGRATS ON YOU NEW JOURNEY IN LIFE CHEERS !!!!

EXACTLY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your story....I too travel for work and I'm planning to have my surgery in a major city 3 hours from my home. My surgeon is highly recommended and excellent program. I saw a local cardiologist this past Thursday for my clearance. Totally body shamed me. Honestly, I've really never experienced it before and often I bring more of my own emotions on myself. Not with this....why are you here? What does your surgeon expect of me? why are you having bariatric surgery? what's wrong with diet, exercise and moderation? I felt awful. I went to work, and stewed about it all day...then sent a note off to the PA that works with my surgeon to make them aware as this cardiologist is within their Integrated Delivery Network. My surgeon's office apologized, thanked me for letting them know and they would send along to administration. The good news? He cleared me for surgery. His behavior, tone etc were unacceptable. I have one more item to check off and then submit for approval from insurance. I'm so grateful for this board and the openness of sharing. Thank you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      I can now buy clothes in normal stores again. Admittedly the first time when I started trying on clothes, I really had to keep myself calm. Normally trying on clothes causes me to become SOOO depressed that it take weeks just to get over it. Now, I have to keep myself from not wanting to buy everything!
      · 1 reply
      1. AngieBear

        Right?! It’s an amazing, freeing feeling.

    • allwet

      https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(19)30504-2?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1550413119305042%3Fshowall%3Dtrue
      · 5 replies
      1. Charlessmott

        https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/butterfly-crib-bedding/

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Wow, I am nowhere-near smart enough to read that article! 😉

      3. Charlessmott

        https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/lounge-pillow-with-arms/

      4. JerryDew

        https://www.ivoox.com/geminis-ver-pelicula-online-completas-espanol-gratis-audios-mp3_rf_42954936_1.html

      5. JerryDew

        https://www.ivoox.com/geminis-ver-pelicula-online-completas-espanol-gratis-audios-mp3_rf_42954936_1.html

    • GreenTealael  »  seaforest

      🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥CONGRATULATIONS🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
      · 2 replies
      1. ShannaLeany

        https://www.yaplakal.com

      2. ShannaLeany

        https://www.yaplakal.com

    • gn3476  »  TxStar09

      Hi, congrats on your surgery!  Saw you went to Dr. Pleatman.  I've been between doing the Lap Band and sleeve.  I was suppose to have a consultation with Dr. Pleatman this month.  So far great experience with his office coordinator Carrie (sp?).   Feeling really scared and nervous about getting the sleeve.  If you can share...how was your experience with Dr. Pleatman's office and the surgery?   Thanks!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • LadyVS

      I'm not new, I was an active Lapbander from: 
      JOINED
      March 4, 2013   LAST VISITED
      February 6, 2017 Here I am on October 4, 2019 thinking back over my Lapband journey and how I thought I would be banded for life. Unfortunately, I have been sick for some time, and am on medications; and well my weight has constantly slowly increased. I was 225 pounds when I had my Lapband surgery on Dec. 17, 2010. At least my weight hasn't reached 210. I have been fluctuating between 202-206. For that, I'm grateful. I'm just excited to be able to have another tool to assist me with my weight loss journey. I'm not looking forward to the liquid stage, however.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×