Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very long stall just after surgery 😟

I’m about 7 weeks post-op and after losing 15 lbs in the first 10 days after surgery I’ve lost less than 5 lbs in the almost 6 weeks since. I know that stalls are common but this seems excessively long so early on.

I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong and am getting really dejected. I track my food meticulously and have been averaging around 600 or 700 calories a day, never more than 800, and walk about 2 miles most days. I feel like it might be hormonal since I have PCOS which has caused issues in the past.

Has anyone else had this happen and how did you break out of it?

I've already had a slight downturn in my wieght loss as well. It was as if my body was taking a breath and sighing after losing so much weight pre- and post-op. Then it started up again. The only thing I did was nothing other than drinking one more Protein Shake a day. Some days I even ate a bit more calories to keep my metabolism up.

Remember a stall is technically when weight-loss has been the same for a longer period. So if you are keeping to your program, dont beat yourself up. You are doing what you need to do and your body will eventually keep up.

What was your pre-op starting weight? How much did you go down during pre-op?

I’m about 7 weeks post-op and after losing 15 lbs in the first 10 days after surgery I’ve lost less than 5 lbs in the almost 6 weeks since. I know that stalls are common but this seems excessively long so early on.

I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong and am getting really dejected. I track my food meticulously and have been averaging around 600 or 700 calories a day, never more than 800, and walk about 2 miles most days. I feel like it might be hormonal since I have PCOS which has caused issues in the past.

Has anyone else had this happen and how did you break out of it?
I am about 8 weeks post up and I dealt with the same exact thing as you up until now, and I also have PCOS. The stall really messed with my head and I began to feel extremely down. However, I just stuck to it and kept going, and by now (week 8) I FINALLY went down two pounds, which felt like the biggest milestone (which is crazy considering how much I lost the first few weeks). Keep going, chin up, you got this. Keep doing what you're doing, we are all different, but as long as you are sticking to your plan it will happen. Even if it's slower than you anticipated. I realized I have to throw all expectations I had prior to surgery out the window, and just accept the journey as it comes. In a few months from now I'm sure you will be laughing at yourself thinking "why was I even worried to begin with?" Don't worry!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

just stick to your program. Stalls happen and they're annoying. As long as you're sticking to your plan, though, they'll eventually break and you WILL lose the weight.

PCOS here too & slow (comparatively) weight loss. Though I've been pretty slow & steady the entire time. I never had a good week like you did though - with 15 lost in one week. I think even my week of surgery was like 6 pounds. I'm just about week 12 now & I've had one week where I lost half a pound. Some are 1.5 pounds. Some are 4 pounds. I'm just trekking on.

I get a ton of Water in 65 oz most days and I aim for 65 G Protein most days. There are days where it's like 40 oz and 40 g of protein, but I hit the 65/65 most of the time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• Krestel

Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
    • SabrinaGoddess

I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

· 0 replies
    • SabrinaGoddess

Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

· 0 replies
    • drac2you

Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

Thank you and good luck to you!

2. SabrinaGoddess

WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

• Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs