Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So with kaiser in the inland empire area, when you get the referral to the options class, is that the approval that you will have the surgery? Or after going through the 12 weeks class can they still deny us? If so what reasons could they deny us?

Hi jaymmee, I'm new here - 1st post! I was approved through Kaiser in Georgia for VSG. Once you have your referral, you are approved unless you run into some bumps along the way with your dietitian, psychologist, etc. I started my introduction class in March and finished everything June 13th! The review board looks over everything before sending the approval letter but the surgery scheduler nurse will call you before the letter comes. The doctor I chose is very popular so my surgery date is not until August 27th. Don't worry, you will be approved - just go to all your appointments & try not to cancel any of them.

Thank you! That’s really good to know!! I guess I’m a little worried because my BMI is 37.2 and I have many co-morbidities, and I fear dropping below the requirement BMI of 35. If I do, i don’t wanna be denied because it seems it’s just going to return and then I have to redo everything again. I’m just done with that loop you know.

No honey, you will be fine. The recorded BMI at the beginning of your process will always follow you. Your dietitian will put you on a meal plan to hopefully allow you to get adjusted to your new eating habits and you will lose weight. I lost about 11 pounds so your BMI will go down but "will not" hinder your approval. No worries, can't wait for us both to officially cross over to brighter days after VSG!

OMG this is awesome!! I know it’s super exciting! Can’t wait!! Which one are you going through?

Sorry I forgot you are in GA!! I was thinking you were out here in CA! Lol