Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Great Doc in Virginia

Hi

Talyn here banded 9/18/07. I went to the norfolk surgical group thorugh Sentara. My Doctor was fontana. Bu tI have had dealing with dr Boustani and Dr Wilgomouth, they all rock. YOu might want to check thiem out. They provide extensive support both before and after surgery. I know that on the NN/Hampton side of the Water there is a comparable group. The groups just performed a lap band srugery on teh web via the sentara.com website last month. You really should check this group out. As a nurse I checked out their complication rates/reputation and certifications before I entrusted my fabulous body to them. Trust me you wont be disappointed. If you want to hear more about my surgery, check out my introduction on this site. Hope this helps.:clap2:

Norfolk Surgical Group Ltd., General, Thoracic, Colon-Rectal, and Surgical Oncology in Southeastern Virginia

Talyn

Hi Talyn,

Thank you for responding to me! I actually was hoping to have Dr. Fontana do my surgery. I am scheduled to go to the orientation on Sat. Dec. 1st. I am very excited. Can you tell me what type of fee$$$ are involved? I have tricare standard insurance and not sure if any of it will be covered. I really doubt it. Could you also tell me about your progress...how much wt. have you lost and how long does it generally take to see results? Did I understand you right that you are a nurse? I am a nursing student LOL...so you can only imagine my life right now. Actually I should be studying finals coming up next couple of weeks..grrr! If I could get the surgery scheduled sometime next year say in Feb. could you tell me if it is feasible to think I could be back to school/clinicals in say a week? I really want to get the surgery but I am afraid that my hectic school schedule will prevent me from doing so. My daughter is getting married next June and I was hoping to be looking better by then. My only real school break will be a week in March, but I was thinking that would not give me much time to lose before the wedding???

Again many, many thanks for contacting me!

Susan

THIS is not the Hampton Roads area, but Dr. Eric Pinnar is EXCELLENT. This is all he does, and he has a dedicated Filler so you never have to wait long. Might be worth the drive. He is in Reston, VA.

Hello Tayln and Moongirl, I live in Portsmouth and am also going to Norfolk surgical group. I am going to the seminar this week. I was reffered by a friend of mine who is also a nurse lol. She reffered me to Dr. Wolgomuth. I wasn't familar with the other docs, so I took her advice because she actually worked alongside him during his residency at Sentara Norfolk Gen. Please give me any feedback you have on him and the group. I am nervous about the procedure also, but am determined to go through. I hope that my insurance approves everything. Anyone now about MAMSI MDIPA? Please keep in touch with me and I will do the same....I need the support! PS can you tell me about the charges for the fills.

Thanks

SOSOBIZI

Moongirl

It was the best $495. I ever spent. That fee was the only thing I have pid since intering the program to the physiican that it. It covers all of the nutrition/wellness/1/2 pre op classses they require. They also give you a book that literally becomes your bible.I have lost 35 lbs since I was banded. I got my first fill 11/7/07 under fluro --because my port wouldn't cooperate, lol. I had a fantastic experience with thse doc and Jeannie and Jeannette , their bariatric coordinators. Also with Lola their financial guru. They are truly a class act.Check out some of my old posts(my intro for more about my journey from decision to surgery and my recover ). I have even lost 1/2 a shoe size!!

T

Sosobizi

I love Dr Wolgomuth. . They day after my surgery he was the partner down stairs reading the barium swallows. He was such a nice guy, I don't think you can choose a wrong surgeon in this group, bcaue I don't think there is one ! From their info session through their opst op follow up this group rocks!

Talyn

Hi there!

I was banded by Dr. Terricina of the Weight Loss Surgery Center on J. Clyde Morris Blvd. in Newport News (Dr. Clark is also excellent). I have not had any complications and the care I have received from the office staff and doctor has been excellent. They have a comprehensive education program that you have to complete before banding and they provide you with instructions about what to eat during the post-op period and beyond. There is also a lap band support group that meets monthly.

Let me know if you need any other information! Good luck in your search!

I second to what OnmywayJenn said.

I had my surgery done just last week by Dr. Brian Mirza (who is in the same office/practice with Dr. Stelmack) and I am so impressed and happy with my decision. No complaints at all about their staff - from the receptionists to the nurses to the dietician to the surgeon. Everyone has been wonderful.

In my own opinion, Dr. Mirza is incredibly professional and still very friendly and he makes you feel comfortable in his presence. During my overnight stay after my surgery, he came by 3 times to check up on me and he wasn't rushed or at all bothered by questions. He even laughed and joked along with my weird family members who were cracking stupid jokes and being down-right embarassing.

One of the RNs in their office, Lynette, popped by numerous times to check on me while I was there also. About 45 minutes before my surgery, she came by where I was being prepped to make sure I didn't have any questions or just in case I needed to talk to calm my nerves. She came by later that evening before going to a conference just to see how I was doing. Then she came by the day I was discharged, too.

I know that they have certain amounts of times that they routinely check on their patients, but I was thoroughly impressed. It was reassuring to know that if I had concerns, they were always nearby.

(Also, my entire experience with not only the surgeon and his staff but also with the hospital and their staff was excellent. Every single individual who assisted me or had a part in my care was just as helpful and friendly as the last.)