Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DO YOU



Recommended Posts

I've noticed some people become diet experts after THEIR surgery. Often I see comments about how YOU should eat because that's what works for THEM. You have to do what works for you and don't let others dictate or make you feel inferior because the way you choose to lose your weight. This is YOUR journey not theirs. There is a fine line that people sometimes cross when giving advice that crosses over to being condescending. So if eating clean all the time is your thing, go for it , or if you choose to "eat in moderation" because your a big girl/boy and can add a "treat" into your macros and be accountable at the same time go for it. DO YOU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amen to that! I enjoy watching YouTube videos by others who have experienced Bariatric surgery. I especially appreciate the ones who emphasize that they’re relating THEIR journey, and that yours may differ. It helps to know what you MIGHT experience - even if not exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much advice given is what has worked for the individual responding to the OP. And of course it has to fit the individual... This whole forum is nothing BUT non-professional opinions. @GreenTealael

Now having said that, the veterans on here are very vocal about people eating (or asking if eating) pizza at 3 weeks has 'ruined' their surgeries. No one should sugarcoat that response. @FluffyChix @JerseyJules @BigViffer

You will also see veterans say they have indulged - the majority of those indulgences were far out from surgery and most jumped right back to being on plan. There are exceptions, there are outliers @sillykitty that lose eating erratically and off plan - stats are pretty low that it is this way for most people to succeed.

We are ALL passionate about everyone getting the best outcome and utilizing the honeymoon period to their advantage because it does END. That is what motivates our responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Pretty much advice given is what has worked for the individual responding to the OP. And of course it has to fit the individual... This whole forum is nothing BUT non-professional opinions. @GreenTealael

Now having said that, the veterans on here are very vocal about people eating (or asking if eating) pizza at 3 weeks has 'ruined' their surgeries. No one should sugarcoat that response. @FluffyChix @JerseyJules @BigViffer

You will also see veterans say they have indulged - the majority of those indulgences were far out from surgery and most jumped right back to being on plan. There are exceptions, there are outliers @sillykitty that lose eating erratically and off plan - stats are pretty low that it is this way for most people to succeed.

We are ALL passionate about everyone getting the best outcome and utilizing the honeymoon period to their advantage because it does END. That is what motivates our responses.

Of course everyone is here to give advice to others that need it. But when the advice crosses the line of being condescending, it needs to be called out just like eating that pizza at three weeks does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good reminder to be mindful of how I respond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost everyone on this site is very cognisant of how what they say might come across. But when you have people not wanting to share what works for them in fear of being ridiculed, that's where there is a problem and people move on instead of sharing their story.

For instance, after my six months are up and I'm on a regimented excersize schedule and can up my caloric intake, I will start intermittent fasting and will eat everything in moderation, as long as I can fit it into my macros. Acording to this person, I'm like "everyone else who isn't as focused and who chooses "an everything in moderation"lifestyle".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm unsure why I was tagged ... I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone

Besides I think I quit my proselytizing around the time when I started searching for a boyfriend 😂

Joking Joking

Everyone do whatever y'all want, ask for help when you need (from pros first of course)

I just come here for the food pics 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I'm unsure why I was tagged ... I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone

Besides I think I quit my proselytizing around the time when I started searching for a boyfriend 😂

Joking Joking

Everyone do whatever y'all want, ask for help when you need (from pros first of course)

I just come here for the food pics 😋

You didn't offend me! You're one of my faves and I'm sure I speak for others as well 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only person who doesn’t know what macros are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cheeseburgh said:

Am I the only person who doesn’t know what macros are?

It's short for macronutrients. They're the main nutrients such as Protein, carbs and fats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cheeseburgh said:

Am I the only person who doesn’t know what macros are?

1181868057_tumblr_inline_owjii1oOBs1szd0uo_400(1).gif.0caa0467acec801fd29c7960a414e510.gif

They usually refer to Proteins, carbohydrates and fats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I thought it was counting how many Vitamin units (or whatever they are called) in your food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also unsure why I was tagged. I stopped giving people on here advice a while back when I was accused off "food shaming" and using "negative words" for saying something like "you shouldn't eat XYZ", when commenting to someone who had an utterly absurd diet plan 2 weeks post op. What I found was that Overweight people tend to be a very emotionally unstable and fragile group of individuals. You have to give your advice very carefully and sometimes that means not giving advice at all.

I stressed from day one that what worked for me probably would not work for most and probably goes against the norm to be honest. You have to do what works for you long term and what is realistically sustainable.

Edited by JerseyJules
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, justmetj said:

You didn't offend me! You're one of my faves and I'm sure I speak for others as well 😊

💜Many thanks💜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, justmetj said:

You didn't offend me! You're one of my faves and I'm sure I speak for others as well 😊

Absolutely! I was actually looking at some posts from some of my 'initial faves' (they still are faves!) and found 'you' @GreenTealael in just the past week or so. I 'followed' you as you have such humor, wisdom, kindness and experience that I want to soak up as much as I can before my surgery on 7/25 (RNY).

I've been posting a LOT and replying a LOT...and maybe that is typical prior to surgery. Sometimes I feel like I post too much..and I don't know why I feel that way.

Honestly, last night when I had joined the July Challenge...an emotional issue that always hovers at the edges of my daily life came through as I was posting my flower pics..and that is...I miss my Mom. I miss my Dad too...but I so wish my Mom was here...she was an incredible Mother...and best friend.

Her face is so very dear to me...I wish I could see it again before surgery. I feel like I'm a child again..but I really want my Mom...

Dear Lord..where did all of that come from? I started this reply with the intent of assuring you....of how much help you have been..and don't even know about as I read posts from months ago. I understood where @justmetj heart/reason for posting was coming from.

We do need our veterans, our pros, or even people who have recently stumbled (or not) to try to help ppl who post about things like 'pizza' and other choices or behaviors that could seriously endanger their physical well being or emotional well being. Not trying to help would form a 'conspiracy of silence' which would not help the OP.

Confrontation is seen as 'negative' but it can be helpful, constructive and kind, even. I pray when I am making bad choices (as I don't think WLS nor my preparation is going to spare me from the fact that I am human)..that ppl CARE enough to call me on it...hopefully politely...but if someone cares to reply, 90%+ of the times, I'm going to take it as they care.

Edited by KarenLR75
mixing up pronouns..blaming it on pre-op brain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×