Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Social Events and Eating Out: Advice?

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any advice on eating out and social gatherings such as weddings? I just started my pre-op diet and it's a lot more restrictive than I thought. Most of my menus are only 875 calories on average and the list of things I can't eat anymore is enormous.

I know a lot of you have already been through this so I'm just asking for advice on how to eat out and such?

I don't eat out often but are there recommended places and menu items?

How about at social events like weddings? Do people just quietly pack their own food?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

2 minutes ago, kcf9889 said:

Does anyone have any advice on eating out and social gatherings such as weddings? I just started my pre-op diet and it's a lot more restrictive than I thought. Most of my menus are only 875 calories on average and the list of things I can't eat anymore is enormous.

I know a lot of you have already been through this so I'm just asking for advice on how to eat out and such?

I don't eat out often but are there recommended places and menu items?

How about at social events like weddings? Do people just quietly pack their own food?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

So I'm still preop until Wednesday but my aunt did this years ago. I noticed that certain places we ate at would have healthy options (grilled chicken and broccoli/green Beans. Etc) she would pick something healthy and would indulge in conversations as she ate to keep from eating too fast or too much. Weddings could be a bit trickier though because I know that's an occasion where cake is a centerpiece. Omg btw Chik fil a has grilled chicken nugget meals that you can get veggies with. That's my fav thing lol

I would suggest being flexible while out

but

having a strong game plan (like Proteins, eggs, salads, grilled chicken, etc only no compromising with your self), avoid mindless eating by drinking allowed items more often (plus no eating/drinking at the same time), and avoiding peer pressure with firm resistance.

Good luck 💙

I didn't go to any weddings until recently, but I went to many a dinner party and get-togethers at peoples homes and restaurants/bars. In the beginning I brought Protein powders along with me in a mix cup and just added Water at my destination.

When I got to solid foods, I'd check out the menu before I went to a restaurant for stuff I could eat and if there was nothing I cared for, I'd just eat before hand and drink water when I got there. If it was at someone's house, I would make/bring a pot-luck style entree and/or appetizer that I could eat. Also, I always have beef Jerky in my purse wherever I go.

But back to weddings, since you mentioned it specifically: it may prove difficult to eat a full-on contraband meal at the table...so maybe eat beforehand and bring some small Snacks in your clutch to munch on between dances just in case ;)...or if the invite allows it, mention that you have special dietary restrictions, and the caterer may be able to fix a special plate for you.

EDIT: remember, this is not forever, it is just just for now while you are in weight-loss mode and taking full advantage of the rapid-weight loss stage :)

Edited by ms.sss

Eat before you go to the wedding or special event and then just don't eat at the event or keep some small snack like nuts to munch on in the bathroom when nobody's looking.

For eating out, choose places that offer plenty of Protein options like grilled chicken, steak, or even order a burger without the bun.

Eat before you go to the wedding or special event and then just don't eat at the event or keep some small snack like nuts to munch on in the bathroom when nobody's looking.
For eating out, choose places that offer plenty of Protein options like grilled chicken, steak, or even order a burger without the bun.
I love ordering a burger and having them keep the bun. It's confuses the heck out of people taking my order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Eating out is easy. Choose whatever you think is the healthiest thing on the menu and focus on the Protein. Give any leftovers to partner ( lol) or bring them home for another day.

You have to live and you aren’t going to spend the rest of your life packing Protein Shakes when you go out.

I survived a months holiday in the USA, UK and Hong Kong and still lost weight. We ate out almost every day and the chosen restaurants weren’t necessarily the best for weight loss. Some of the choices included a couple of ribs, half a burger ( without eating the bun) chicken etc

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it! You've all been very helpful.