Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pear shape to rectangle?!

When I was really obese, I was a fairly obvious pear shape. Everything was big, but my bum and hips were the biggest. However, I knew how to dress to suit a pear shape well. I used to wear lovely empire line dresses and always bootleg trousers.

I thought that after surgery, I would lose weight all over and keep the same pear shape, but I haven't. I have lost proportionately much more weight off my bum than anywhere else. My hips and shoulders and chest are now the same width, with my waist somewhat narrower. According to what I've read, this makes me a rectangle or an H shape.

This is taking some getting used to, because the types of clothes that used to suit me no longer do anything for me at all. So, I'm having to re-learn how to dress myself completely. I'm not just smaller, I've morphed into a weird new shape, where my shoulders appear strangely prominent.

Has anyone else experienced this bizarre body shape change rather than just size change?

And has anyone got any tips for dressing a rectangle?

16 minutes ago, looly said:

When I was really obese, I was a fairly obvious pear shape. Everything was big, but my bum and hips were the biggest. However, I knew how to dress to suit a pear shape well. I used to wear lovely empire line dresses and always bootleg trousers.

I thought that after surgery, I would lose weight all over and keep the same pear shape, but I haven't. I have lost proportionately much more weight off my bum than anywhere else. My hips and shoulders and chest are now the same width, with my waist somewhat narrower. According to what I've read, this makes me a rectangle or an H shape.

This is taking some getting used to, because the types of clothes that used to suit me no longer do anything for me at all. So, I'm having to re-learn how to dress myself completely. I'm not just smaller, I've morphed into a weird new shape, where my shoulders appear strangely prominent.

Has anyone else experienced this bizarre body shape change rather than just size change?

Same i used to wear empire dresses a lot except IDK what shape i was before surgery

Now im either a rectangular or straight bodied

These days I just wear whatever looks nice and fits, maybe slightly bigger than necessary then use a belt at my waist to give the illusion of an hourglass figure

Edited by GreenTealael

Thanks GT - that's what I do now - try stuff on and see what looks nice! But it has stopped me buying stuff off the internet, because I can no longer just look at a dress and judge whether it will suit me any more.

I suppose it's a nice situation to be in (if a little confusing!).

I'm having that issue with glasses. My face shape has changed. I have no idea what types of frames look good on me any more!

1 hour ago, looly said:

Funny, I though all women would be an hourglass after weight loss. I was wrong. I am an inverted triangle body shape.

You are in good company with a rectangle body shape. Famous females with rectangle body shapes include Natalie Portman, Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman and Gwen Stefani.

How to dress a rectangle body shape link below.

https://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/1012259/how-to-dress-a-rectangle-shaped-body/

download.jpg

Im legit shaped like a snowman with sticks for arms and legs lmao

I carry some in my face but mostly ALL my weight is in my torso. My arms are normal sized and my legs are still normal and muscular and I have no butt already so I cant imagive what surgery is going to do to it

4 hours ago, Mom_of_Chaos said:

Im legit shaped like a snowman with sticks for arms and legs lmao

I carry some in my face but mostly ALL my weight is in my torso. My arms are normal sized and my legs are still normal and muscular and I have no butt already so I cant imagive what surgery is going to do to it

you may be apple-shaped. I was - and still am even though I'm at a normal weight. I had a lot of loose skin in my torso, I had bat wings on my arms but not huge (I've seen WAY worse), and my thighs have a little loose skin on them but are pretty thin (as in - major "thigh gap"). I had the loose skin taken off my torso. I also had an arm lift but it didn't have as much "wow factor" as the torso work since the bat wings really weren't that bad to begin with. And I didn't bother with the thighs. At my age (I'll be 60), my mini-skirt days are long over...

This is my current concern and project. I noticed when I got to goal that weight had stop coming off my waist quite a while ago. And my pear/hourglass shape was gone. Way to much weight was still around my waist and my backside was a unsightly, malformed, and mostly gone mess.

My theory is this is due to lower female hormones due to my age, 47. I wanted to lose a few more pounds but was afraid my body would continue it's current distribution of loss and I would look even worse. I'm now doing Keto, upped the cardio, taking certain supplements, and added bioidentical estriol, and progesterone in over the counter cream form. I'm also doing more exercises to build muscle and increase my backside. It's early yet I think it's working . I've only lost a couple of more pounds but some has come off my waist.

I haven't had any problems with clothing and look pretty good fully clothed. You probably just need to spend time shopping and trying on clothes to see what looks good on you now.

Well I always was proportioned, instead of 34-24-36 I was more like 68- 44-68 , now who knows? Haven't measured me there, now I think I'm starting to look tiny, God Knows my forearms and neck are, look like an Old Lady, OMG I'm 73, I am an Old Lady, atent I ? Well I used to be able to pass for early to mid 50s, now I pass pretty well for Road Kill, at least the ones who aren't totally smashed! Tomkitten says I am getting my "cute" back, of course he knows, if he offends me , he does his own cooking. And his speciality is Grilled cheese sandwiches.

Thanks for the link, healthy_life2. I've looked up clothes for rectangular figures and did come across that site. They do tend to assume that rectangles have an 'athletic body' type with great legs....and I'm still not there yet!

However, I have now learnt the difference between a 'high hip' and a 'low hip'(!) I never knew there was a difference - you live and learn!

Edited by looly