Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much Calcium citrate is everyone taking?

So my nutritionist recommends 1500 mg a day of calcium citrate but the group's PA says 1000 is fine. I've been taking 1000, but now I'm wondering if 1500 would be better....what are you taking?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the RNY and take 1500mg of calcium citrate daily.

Just now, Briswife15 said:

Thanks, FluffyChix. I was thinking that's what I should do, too. I also had RNY.

My Vitamins per my RD:

1 bariatric multi or 2 regular multis

1500mg calcium citrate

500mg B12 sublingual

18mg Iron

The following is not for everyone--just cuz of my bloodwork right now:

2000mg d3

100mg b complex (1-2 per week)

400mg magnesium citrate

With a bypass this early out, I would be inclined to go with the three doses (1500ish mg) as you are malabsorbing some of it and not getting all that much from diet at this point. It is usually better to supplement on the heavy side at first and then cut things back as diet improves and labs indicate - it's easier to cut back than to try to catch up if things were too low.

I try to keep my Ca intake on the high side of the 1500-2000 range from all sources, which meant that early on I took 2 doses per day (1000-1300 mg, depending on product) but now only do one dose as diet fills in the rest.

Magnesium, D3 and K2 also play a role in the Calcium loop, so those should be considered as well.

30 minutes ago, RickM said:

With a bypass this early out, I would be inclined to go with the three doses (1500ish mg) as you are malabsorbing some of it and not getting all that much from diet at this point. It is usually better to supplement on the heavy side at first and then cut things back as diet improves and labs indicate - it's easier to cut back than to try to catch up if things were too low.

I try to keep my Ca intake on the high side of the 1500-2000 range from all sources, which meant that early on I took 2 doses per day (1000-1300 mg, depending on product) but now only do one dose as diet fills in the rest.

Magnesium, D3 and K2 also play a role in the Calcium loop, so those should be considered as well.

Great point about going by labs and diet components! Also, have been wondering about the K2 loop. How much would or do you supplement?

Edited by FluffyChix

Thanks, RickM. Always appreciate your advice.

Well mine is liquid version of calcium citrate called Wellesse, I purchase it at Wal-Mart. 1,000 on the morning and also at night.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:28 AM, FluffyChix said:

Great point about going by labs and diet components! Also, have been wondering about the K2 loop. How much would or do you supplement?

I take a 90 mic capsule of MK7, which is the bioavailable component of K2. K2 is one of those vits that is fairly newly appreciated, so dosage levels are speculative - recommendations are all over the map - so I figure that some is better than none. I already eat a fair amount of the foods that supply MK4, but very little of those that supply MK7, so I bias it that way.. Maybe a general K2 might be better - who knows?

9 hours ago, RickM said:

I take a 90 mic capsule of MK7, which is the bioavailable component of K2. K2 is one of those vits that is fairly newly appreciated, so dosage levels are speculative - recommendations are all over the map - so I figure that some is better than none. I already eat a fair amount of the foods that supply MK4, but very little of those that supply MK7, so I bias it that way.. Maybe a general K2 might be better - who knows?

Thanks! So is the MK7 metabolite the one mostly found in fermented foods? And the MK4 metabolite found mostly in dark leafy greens? I will go look for a 90mic MK7 today. Thanks for the rec.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Thanks! So is the MK7 metabolite the one mostly found in fermented foods? And the MK4 metabolite found mostly in dark leafy greens? I will go look for a 90mic MK7 today. Thanks for the rec.

As I read it, the MK4 comes from meats, cheeses, egg yolks, etc; green leafy veg is great for K1 which is the anti-clotting K, and I usually get a lot of that, but very little of the fermented veg, (not good for my cancer potential) so I concentrate on the MK7.

I take 1500 per day (500 x3) per my surgeon's protocol.