Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion to Gastric Bypass Outpatient?

Hi all!

I am doing the conversion from sleeve to gastric bypass with Dr. Titus Duncan in Georgia!

I am self pay as my insurance does not cover it. :( Their office said this will be an outpatient surgery. I am wondering what the pain level will be? Has anyone done this nad been outpatient?? Any tips or tricks

Very nervous but this something i have to do. Has anyone used Dr Duncan??

OMG, unless you are Wonder Woman, strong as a Bull, or have a High Pain Threshold, I don't see how an Outpatient RNY would go down! Yeah I had almost no pain post mine but I also wadnt marching out in a couple,hours and heading off to a mall or similar. I don't drive but even if I had been still licensed I wouldn't have been approved to drive and street shuttle buses, forget about it! Difficult for me to get into GirlFriend Kathy's SUV after 2 days, Surgery Wednesday at 7AM, released Friday 11 AM, put seatbelt on, pillow under it and clutched my RouxNY Rabbit like I was sleepy and a Toddler! And I arrived home 50 miles later in almost as good a condition as when I left and that was 3:30 so I would be in Columbus on Time, after struggling for over 3 years,to receive it I wasn't gonna let a. minor blip or vehicle accident stop me from my target!

Don't be offended, but I'm shocked that any doctor would do RNY outpatient! I had RNY 8 weeks ago, and was in the hospital 3 days and 2 nights. The first 24 hours I wasnt allowed anything by mouth, and was on round the clock antinausea meds and an IV. I cannot imagine how I would have done if I had to go home the afternoon of my procedure. But. That being said, all surgeons are different, and maybe yours has a lot of experience with outpatient surgery. Best to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I find the idea of it surprising as well. I had a relatively easy go of it (no nausea, minimal pain), but I still needed the full two nights of care. If you do go that route, I would look into home nursing care for a night or two.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeah my dr says he won't be allowed to release me until I recover from the influence of drugs as duty of care...

Mak3s s3nse, doesn't it! Just praying you get the x qus

exact surgery and recovery that you want and deserve to receive. God Bl3ss#

Wow...My question is when you end up back in the ED for dehydration or pain management is that admission covered by insurance. Around here the usual is at least one night stay over. like the others said around the clock IV and meds. I had to be able to orally do 500ccs to get the IV out. and 750cc to go home. I am not a negative person but you are setting yourself up for re-admission. Is it a choice to wait for open enrollment and change insurance company's one that may cover WLS.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:23 AM, _kimGA_ said:

Hi all!

I am doing the conversion from sleeve to gastric bypass with Dr. Titus Duncan in Georgia!

I am self pay as my insurance does not cover it. :( Their office said this will be an outpatient surgery. I am wondering what the pain level will be? Has anyone done this nad been outpatient?? Any tips or tricks

Very nervous but this something i have to do. Has anyone used Dr Duncan??

I had gastric bypass as an out patient I went home the very same day. My surgeon does all his WLS surgeries as outpatient.

Hi [emoji112] I was wondering the same thing as I am scheduled for revision to bypass on 7/11 due to gerd and a hiatal hernia resulting ftom the sleeve. I am also outpatient with Dr. Michael Williams

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 minutes ago, nerua43 said:

Hi I was wondering the same thing as I am scheduled for revision to bypass on 7/11 due to gerd and a hiatal hernia resulting ftom the sleeve. I am also outpatient with Dr. Michael Williams

Hey Girl!! I had my revision on wednesday of last week (June 26)! It went great!!! I actually enjoyed being able to recover at home and not have nurses poking me every hour through the night. I went back in to his office the following morning so they could change dressings AND get an IV for hydration!! The gas has been painful but very manageable. My biggest piece of advice is GASX every few hours and WALK WALK WALK!

You will do great! Good luck!!! Just remember: these are highly skilled surgeons who do this surgery everyday -both inpatient and out!

Hey Girl!! I had my revision on wednesday of last week (June 26)! It went great!!! I actually enjoyed being able to recover at home and not have nurses poking me every hour through the night. I went back in to his office the following morning so they could change dressings AND get an IV for hydration!! The gas has been painful but very manageable. My biggest piece of advice is GASX every few hours and WALK WALK WALK!
You will do great! Good luck!!! Just remember: these are highly skilled surgeons who do this surgery everyday -both inpatient and out!

Thank you so much. If you don't mind me, asking because I get many different responses. Do you know what the weight loss success is. I only lost 40 lbs wth my sleeve within a year despite being compliant and going to the gym.

2 hours ago, nerua43 said:

Thank you so much. If you don't mind me, asking because I get many different responses. Do you know what the weight loss success is. I only lost 40 lbs wth my sleeve within a year despite being compliant and going to the gym.

I lost about 140 with my original sleeve back in 2013. I regained 60 pounds in addition to having bad reflux. The papers say I will loose about 80% of weight gain ... BUT those are just averages. I remember my original surgeon who did my sleeve told me I would probably only loose between 60-80lbs and I surpassed that (even though I gained some back. Besides the point point now )) Everyone is very different. I have weighed myself everyday since surgery. Surgery day post op (6/26) was 202. Today I weighed 184. I know some of that was the gas & saline my surgeon left AND the hydration IVs I received the day after surgery. I was too nervous to try and set a goal weight this time around because I’ve read some people don’t loose weight like they once did. I do want to be 130/40 but it will take a lot of work. I wish we had better statistics but my advice would to be to treat this as serious as your first surgery. Maybe even be more cautious!

I lost about 140 with my original sleeve back in 2013. I regained 60 pounds in addition to having bad reflux. The papers say I will loose about 80% of weight gain ... BUT those are just averages. I remember my original surgeon who did my sleeve told me I would probably only loose between 60-80lbs and I surpassed that (even though I gained some back. Besides the point point now )) Everyone is very different. I have weighed myself everyday since surgery. Surgery day post op (6/26) was 202. Today I weighed 184. I know some of that was the gas & saline my surgeon left AND the hydration IVs I received the day after surgery. I was too nervous to try and set a goal weight this time around because I’ve read some people don’t loose weight like they once did. I do want to be 130/40 but it will take a lot of work. I wish we had better statistics but my advice would to be to treat this as serious as your first surgery. Maybe even be more cautious!
Ty soo much that helped. And wow 18 lbs in a week.