Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I was sleeved on May 1, 2019. I came home on May 3, 2019 because of my blood pressure. Now that I'm home I realize I cant get comfortable at all.. my stomach on the right side hurts so bad. I have been sleeping on the sofa and still cant get comfortable. Tonight I tried sleeping in my bed and it was the worst decision i had made. I'm in so much pain. I cant sleep on my side at all. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been like this. I'm frustrated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Quite a few people have mentioned sleeping in a recliner for a while. I had to sleep on a wedge for about a week. So, yes, it's common. You just have to find out what you can do to get comfortable. Good luck!

I've seen a number of people here say they needed to sleep on a recliner for a couple of weeks post-op, so it must be a common thing.

Yup, that first week can be uncomfortable, for sure. I slept in a semi reclining position with a little pillow under my belly to give support.

I had difficulty sleeping only because of my hernia removal and fear of "busting open". I have back problems and was also afraid to sleep on my back. Just make sure you're taking the pain medicine at least an hour before you sleep so it takes affect for you to get comfortable. The recliner makes sense if you have one. But that pain medication really is important before. I personally found myself sleeping better and longer once it kicked in. Good luck, it's still a recent injury.

People speak of having no pain afterwards, but for me it was horrific pain.

Now I will tell you I have had 5 abdominal surgeries and this was the worst. I was on pain medicine for a full 10 days and round the clock for 7 days.

I too, had trouble laying on my side. I laid on my back mostly. If I took both pain medicines I could somewhat lay on my side.

The good news is it gets better in about a weeks time.

I hope you feel better soon!

I slept in bed, but with a ton of pillows keeping me reclined. It was a bit rough since I'm a stomach sleeper. The meds helped me sleep.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the exact same problem. sleeping was absolutely awful for those first few weeks. I had a ton of pillows that helped keep me upright. I can finally sleep on my sides without any pain. Before surgery I was a stomach sleeper but I still can't really do it. It will get better each day. I promise!

just the opposite i slept like a baby after surgery with very little discomfort was really tired however and got up and walked as much as i could and kept it up for a week or so

I was ok for the first few nights and managed to lay on my side. Then one night I turned over and seriously thought I’d ripped my insides open. It was so painful I was screaming out loud. Anyway, no other symptoms happened and my team confirmed that I’d pulled all of my muscles from moving so quickly. So I slept on the recliner for about 10 nights out of fear from it happening again. Then I bought a wedge pillow and that meant I was able to get back into bed, I used a hot water bottle S well, so when I went to move I pressed it to hold myself for comfort. At 6 weeks I’d say I managed to sleep on my side again. Although I am still worried now that I’ll pull my muscles again, the fear isn’t so strong now I know it’s not serious.

My husband was pretty uncomfortable the first few days. We don't have a recliner, so we kept him propped up with pillows, and then I also got him a heating pad. Pressure on his torso seemed to help, too (he kept a binder the hospital gave him and layers of covers on him). I didn't have the same problems, so I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Best of luck, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hi.. I was but know this with time it heals n the pain does subside... I used hot packs on my belly...best feeling in the world...I knew I wasn't gonna be able to lay in my bed... My recliner is a savior... Since it still hurts some to sit straight up... I slowly lower the leg part down not all the way tho... I scooch up on my side n sit up slowly...wah-la no excruciating pain.... Try it...

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/5/2019 at 12:15 AM, RJL19 said:

Hi everyone. I was sleeved on May 1, 2019. I came home on May 3, 2019 because of my blood pressure. Now that I'm home I realize I cant get comfortable at all.. my stomach on the right side hurts so bad. I have been sleeping on the sofa and still cant get comfortable. Tonight I tried sleeping in my bed and it was the worst decision i had made. I'm in so much pain. I cant sleep on my side at all. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been like this. I'm frustrated.

I'm on week 3 post op and still can't sleep on my sides and or back I literally sleep with 7 pillows and propped up not to mention the incision where they took my stomach out of is always causing sharp pains so I've added a belly band and an ice pack to help and it seems like that's working so far I honestly cannot wait to get a good nights rest

I'm on week 3 post op and still can't sleep on my sides and or back I literally sleep with 7 pillows and propped up not to mention the incision where they took my stomach out of is always causing sharp pains so I've added a belly band and an ice pack to help and it seems like that's working so far I honestly cannot wait to get a good nights rest
In so sorry to hear about your pains. I'm still on the sofa. I use a heating pad before sleep it helps a lot. I can turn just a little bit on my side when I used the heating pad. I hope we both get to have a good normal sleep soon.