Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bruising like a ripe peach

Anybody else find they seem to bruise really easily now since the surgery? I notice all kinds of weird bruises, no idea where they came from......lol All bloodwork has come back normal.

Assuming you still aren't on any blood thinners post-surgery (since your surgery was in December), I hear you! My guess is it is because we have less fat "cushioning" things. Let's make it worse - I'm a fencer - as in en garde. I spend 5-6 hours a week having people poke me with sharp objects - The mammogram tech asked me last year if I was safe at home. I started taking a potassium supplement which has helped a bit - the bruises are smaller and don't last as long now.

Same.

I find that a good bump or knock will result in a bruise now when they wouldn't have before...probably because I don't have as much protective padding anymore. Also, am bruising a lot around the sides and backs of my knees from crossing my legs so much (and hooking the top leg behind the other). I really should stop but I'd been in leg-crossing withdrawal for so many years that I need to make up for lost time :) .

My labs came back fine as well more or less just a couple weeks ago (except that my B12 was on the high side, so I'm to reduce the frequency of taking it, and my Vitamin A was a little low so I'm to add a supplement twice a week). Doc says its nothing to worry about unless my gums or nose start to bleed (which they aren't) or if the bruises don't appear to heal after 2 weeks (which they are).

7 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Assuming you still aren't on any blood thinners post-surgery (since your surgery was in December), I hear you! My guess is it is because we have less fat "cushioning" things. Let's make it worse - I'm a fencer - as in en garde. I spend 5-6 hours a week having people poke me with sharp objects - The mammogram tech asked me last year if I was safe at home. I started taking a potassium supplement which has helped a bit - the bruises are smaller and don't last as long now.

No blood thinners pre or post op so that is not it. I guess it could be the less padding lol

No blood thinners pre or post op so that is not it. I guess it could be the less padding lol

That is strange! Most surgeons require patients take blood thinners right after surgery to prevent blood clots from forming. I had to take Lovenox (enoxaparin) for about a week after surgery. It stays in your body a long time and my whole body was covered in bruises for several months after surgery.

15 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

That is strange! Most surgeons require patients take blood thinners right after surgery to prevent blood clots from forming. I had to take Lovenox (enoxaparin) for about a week after surgery. It stays in your body a long time and my whole body was covered in bruises for several months after surgery.

I got a heparin shot before surgery and one post op. that is it.

I wasn't on blood thinners either before or after surgery, but I bruise like a hot-house orchid now! lol. I was carrying groceries up the hill to my apartment and my arm looks like I was assaulted by a very large army of polly-pocket sized people. I have bruises the size of golf-balls on my shins from walking into stuff. I'm not very graceful, and it's showing!!

2 minutes ago, BeanieSprouts said:

I wasn't on blood thinners either before or after surgery, but I bruise like a hot-house orchid now! lol. I was carrying groceries up the hill to my apartment and my arm looks like I was assaulted by a very large army of polly-pocket sized people. I have bruises the size of golf-balls on my shins from walking into stuff. I'm not very graceful, and it's showing!!

yeah I am grace personified lol I also have great danes so I never know if it is me or them LOL

Yep, bruising like crazy. Maybe our blood vessels are closer... to th...

No, I have no idea. But I do bruise all over now. Makes getting ready for summer skirt season awkward, I’m going to be purple all the time.

And in the last week, maybe a week and half, I have developed multiple small brises all ovee my arms. Havent bumped into anything, even my elbows look bruised like pin point up to dime sized bruises. Like you others stated earlier it could be a product of aging, but this is a time being a "Medical Geek" is not emotionally for me. All I can think,about are blood diseases, Have my platelets gone poor into thin air
And multiple myeloma, the leukemia cousins, lymphoma keep trying to crowd into my mind. And then I feel delicate in health, like maybe this all my fault and I'm being punished. Hard to convince anybody you feel fragile when you still are a little under 200. Oh I do see PCP on Wednesday, I am definitely adding it to my list, better be checked out before I check out into Death! 👈 😣👉

vit K and/or vit C deficiencies

very common after surgery.

doc didn't even measure them (said they are often inaccurate) and gave me megadoses of both (pill form, no issues) and it went away.

no problems ever since.

I am 12 mos post op this Monday! One year! It’s been great!
I do have a lot of bruising now. Prob has a lot to do w not getting in all the Vitamins that I should. I have been really good w taking vitamins until about a month or two ago. Back on track now w those. But I was bruising w taking vitamins too.