Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much walking 2-3 weeks post surgery?

So, I'm 15 days out from surgery and am supposed to be walking 3 times a day. I just can't hit that because I get lightheaded and tired. How far/long were you walking at this stage? btw, I'm getting roughly 75 gm Protein a day and meeting my Water goals. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

as much as you can i think i was trying to do 2 miles a day was not successful on some days for sure i do walk as much as possible now at least 5 miles a day

I am 8 days post op. I’ve been trying to do two one-mile walks a day. But the last two mornings, I have slept another 3 hours after sending kids off to school. So tired. I am drinking all Water and Proteins.

Wow! Thanks. I feel like a slacker. :-( guess I've got to suck it up and get out there walking!!

Don’t feel like a slacker. I think I overdid it which is why I’ve been so tired last few days. Do what your body says is right.

I was doing 30 minutes a day. I was getting lightheaded when I first stood up, but not after walking a few minutes. My surgeon said to increase my salt intake.

Thanks. I have been doing 2 15 minute walks a day. That makes me feel better! I hadn't thought to add a little salt to my diet. Good idea!

On 4/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, GradyCat said:

I was doing 30 minutes a day. I was getting lightheaded when I first stood up, but not after walking a few minutes. My surgeon said to increase my salt intake.

I do the same

Everyone is doing amazing. Thanks for making this post I have been wondering too since I didn't really receive any guidelines besides walk.

It really varies for me. I am about 11 days post surgery. We also have had a ton of rain which is killing me but on average I try to get at least 2 miles in the most I have been able to do is 4 miles. I am planning on trying to put in 4 miles the next three days cuz it's supposed to rain more than half of next week. Mall walking it is. I have been thinking of joining the gym...

I have pushed myself a bit much twice and have felt tired the next day.

I feel like it's important to start as early as I can for me at least, in the day because by three pm I am in nap mode.

I think you are doing GREAT! I am 17 days post-op and am trying to get 1.5 miles in a day. I’m so glad to hear you’re in “nap mode” by 3 pm too because I’m tired daily as well! I had my follow up with surgeon yesterday and he told me to stay off work for another two weeks because of fatigue and also to make sure I am getting 800 calories a day. Thanks for sharing. 😀

Glad you are doing awesome!

I feel like 'nap mode' is the one thing no one told me about. I thought I would be able to get back to work next week but I am going to tell my surgeon at my post op appointment - early next week.

Thanks for sharing your experience.