Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My family came for a visit this weekend and brought their snacking habits with them. Cadbury mini eggs and whoppers made their way into the house, a bag of pretzels showed up, my brother brought a pan of brownies..... It started with "I'm just going to have one little bit of chocolate." But then it was another and another. I had a bit of everything! Why is Easter candy so addictive to me??

They are leaving this morning with all the junk food they brought with them and I am starting a new day, new month. Back to healthy eating and ignoring the Easter candy displays at the stores.

Me too, Hershey Easter eggs got to me at the Walgreens store. But it's a Monday and April 1st and I can start fresh again with making good choices today and for the rest of my life.

You aren't alone! Sugar (by any if its various names) is highly addictive

Try having some sugar free subs in your arsensal because you vant stop living life or beind around family. You will need a long term plan to deal with every holiday.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/magazine/621-excuses-101-getting-through-the-holidays-on-your-terms/

💜 Good luck & you can do it 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

1 hour ago, KCgirl061 said:

My family came for a visit this weekend and brought their snacking habits with them. Cadbury mini eggs and whoppers made their way into the house, a bag of pretzels showed up, my brother brought a pan of brownies..... It started with "I'm just going to have one little bit of chocolate." But then it was another and another. I had a bit of everything! Why is Easter candy so addictive to me??

They are leaving this morning with all the junk food they brought with them and I am starting a new day, new month. Back to healthy eating and ignoring the Easter candy displays at the stores.

Candy and food holidays.

Great that you recognized it’s an old habit and started over. Holidays don’t have to be about food. Just enjoy the people in your life.

Yep, one step forward, 2 steps back. The fall isn't the issue. We all have 'em. It's the GETTING UP that's important. :) So make sure you clean out any dribs and drabs today and get back on it strong!!! You'll end up winning Easter and gain confidence in yourself!!

And sugar is the debil. :) So addictive. Love the idea of having "safe" alternatives for a pinch. But you know...I like crutches. :)

My plan for this year's Easter treats (I have an 8yo and a 6yo) is one small chocolate bunny for each of them, which I know they will guard with their lives, and jelly Beans, which I can't stand. I've removed all my usual danger foods from the house and my family is aware that they won't be back for quite some time. Thankfully, I'm the one who does the shopping/menu planning/cooking so I've got the upper hand on what comes into the house. :)

Well I like Jelly Beans more than Gum Drops, pulled a filling out of a molar,on a Jellied Orange Slice once. But stay strong, I know you can do it, one thing about your Slow movement ahead in Canada, you have developed strength and resilience. Nobody can say it's "Spur of the Moment" it's more like You want the Province or Federal government to pay this? Okay here is your Time Line! Seems like it it weeds out the " flash in the pan" types, they either give up or run off to Mexico if they can afford it! Gosh, I am glad you're vack, still have that one time about If You can't see way into the future, can you do one hour, one day?. I know THERE was more, but I printed it off and kept it because it REALLY HELPED!

LOL... well, I haven't had much of a choice in the timeline. Some folks here do participate in Medical Tourism, but that's far outside our budget. It's felt like a bit of a plod to get through this long wait but I can see the finish line... or rather the next starting line.

I'm glad something I said was helpful to you, and thank you for the reminder of that. I will be needing it myself over the next several weeks. :)

On 4/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, GreenTealael said:

You aren't alone! Sugar (by any if its various names) is highly addictive

Try having some sugar free subs in your arsensal because you vant stop living life or beind around family. You will need a long term plan to deal with every holiday.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/magazine/621-excuses-101-getting-through-the-holidays-on-your-terms/

💜 Good luck & you can do it 💜

OMG auto correct was not working well for me this day y'all 😀😭😶

Edited by GreenTealael

22 hours ago, MrsGamgee said:

My plan for this year's Easter treats (I have an 8yo and a 6yo) is one small chocolate bunny for each of them, which I know they will guard with their lives, and jelly Beans, which I can't stand. I've removed all my usual danger foods from the house and my family is aware that they won't be back for quite some time. Thankfully, I'm the one who does the shopping/menu planning/cooking so I've got the upper hand on what comes into the house. :)

Thats a great idea. I don't care for jelly Beans either or Peeps so I think that's what will end up in the kid's baskets this year!

5 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

OMG auto correct was not working well for me this day y'all 😀😭😶

LOL autocorrect can be such a pain! Its pretty easy to tell the difference between autocorrect and just plain bad grammar though. No worries!

The Sugar Free Chocolate and candies are a great idea. I need to keep a stash at work. There isn't a lot of unhealthy options usually in my home but there plenty there that usually start calling my name around 2 or 3 o'clock.

This year is my first post op Easter and I haven’t figured out how to “celebrate”. Maybe I’m getting old but I like having “traditions” that I can look forward to each year.

I tolerate chocolate just fine, so I’m thinking maybe a special chocolate that I reserve only for Easter (need to find it first though!), or making a sugar free brownie that’s shaped and decorated like an egg, or a decadent hot cross bun.

Wow I just realised I haven’t had a hot cross bun this year at all! Pre op I would buy a six pack from the bakery and eat them all up in a day or two (with lots of butter) 😳😳

I think it's important to continue to have traditions, just not so many food focused ones. I'm not getting any hot cross Buns this year either, and while my husband and son are bummed about it, my daughter did a happy dance... she doesn't like dried fruit. :)

Thanks MrsGamgee. You’re right I need some non food focussed traditions. I’d like to decorate my house a little for Easter, go to church for the stations of the cross (not religious but I like the ceremony around it) and maybe take a mini break somewhere (not sure where yet).