Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEED ADVICE!!! Going on a cruise! (1 week post-op)

Ok - banded a week ago today. I feel great, back at work after 4 days. I am on mushies (they had me on them before I left the hospital). I want to be gentle on the band, so I am trying to stick with more liquids than mushies thus I have a liquid Protein shake for Breakfast and lunch -- then pureed Soup or mashed potatoes for dinner. I am getting 60+ grams of Protein each day. I am off pain meds and just taking liquid tylenol.

Anyway, I am going on a cruise for Thanksgiving week, leaving on this Sunday! I need as much advice as I can get on how to recover well while in this situation!!! How can I best remain on mushies and liquids? I am going to bring Protein powder that I can add to skim milk for Breakfast (and likely lunch). I am also going to bring the Magic Bullet to puree foods back in my room. When eating in the dining room I'll just order chicken broth or mashed potatoes for dinner.

Also, what if I have a complication with the band? I am worried that I will be stranded on a ship without any help. I am going to take it easy and not do any strenuous activities. I will also keep my scars out of the sun! (Ha- like I'd ever get this body into a bikini right now!)

Please give me your thoughts and advice to help me navigate this vacation.

That's pretty soon. Watch your incisions and make sure they look good before you leave. Also make sure your surgeon knows your plans, and ensure that you have your facility's contact info. Cruise ships have onboard medical staff, but you can't trust or assume that they know the first thing about the band.

As for food... How long is your cruise? It might be easier to just pack pre-made drinks than to bring the bullet, cups/bases, etc. I'm not entirely sure you'd be able to bring the bullet (especially if you have to take a plane to the departure port) per the blades on the base.

IIRC, the formal restaurants have set menus. You can't just go in and order whatever, like a regular restaurant. The non-formal restaurant is buffet-style. You may have better luck there. However, there are usually dedicated mini-restaurants (e.g. pizza stands, sushi bars, etc.) Yuo mau have some luck finding something at one of these, too.

Thanks for the advice.

The cruise is 7 days on Royal Caribbean. We have been on cruises before, and so I understand the set menu each evening. However, the kitchen will make adjustments, especially if I tell them I just had surgery. I am also bringing bullion if for some odd reason they don't have a Soup for me on a certain evening.

I think I can pack the Magic Bullet in my suitcase and check the bag. No?

Then I'm not sure what type of advice you're looking for, if you already know all this. What type of info would help you?

I'm not sure about checke dluggage, I never check luggage. I think the carry-on limit is plastic w/ round blade. Maybe someone else or your local airport could help make sure.

Hopefully you purchased trip insurance or have some through your credit card, I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you have medical complications while you are on your trip it is very expensive to see the on-board doc. And I agree with Wheetsin, make sure your doc knows of your plans and see if they have any advice for you.

Haven't been banded yet so I can't give you any advice on the food end of things. But as a medical professional and a die-hard Royal Carribean cruiser, just make sure you have the medical end of things planned for.

Other then that, lay back and enjoy the sun, can't think of a better way to recuperate---Have Fun!!!

I just called Royal Caribbean and got GREAT news!!! They have a "Special Needs" department that has noted all my foods need to be pureed, and I can work through the daily menu with the "special needs chef" once I get on the ship to sort out which foods to puree for me. Also, travelers are not permitted to bring on any foods including Protein powder, SF yogurt, etc. However, due to my situation they are allowing me to bring on those few select foods and Snacks for the week. I just have to make sure that the SF yogurt is cold enough when I board or else it will be discarded. I am thrilled!

Bummer I can't enjoy the rock wall and the wave pool!!! (Doc says not strenuous activities for the first 6 weeks).

That's great, I love Royal Carribean--what boat are u going on? We were on Freedom in January and had the BEST time!! Have a great trip.

This is a great thread - I'm taking a Royal Caribbean cruise 6 weeks post op....I was worried about it and even considering moving it, but I'm going and it's going to be great! Bandster NYC - please update us after you return...I"m anxious to know how your recovery is on the boat...I just keep wondering how much less I'll be 6 weeks post op...probably not enough to wear the bikini....LOL...last time I wore a bikini I was in kindergarten...

Be really careful about handwashing and sanitation because you don't want to pick up one of the intestinal viruses that are common on cruise ships. I have always managed to dodge it on the cruises we have been on but I have seen a lot of miserable people and if you were to pick one up with a new band, it would not be fun.

Yes, you can check blades in your bag. And actually, both times that I worked for TSA, blender blades were not a problem (go figure) in carry-on. As long as you have the whole appliance so it doesn't look fishy. But especially checking it, you'd be fine. The only things not allowed in checked luggage were HAZMAT and undeclared firearms...and of course the things that would be illegal to even posess anyway - like bombs.

Thanks for all the great advice -- esp concerning sanitation and Magic Bullet blades! I'll report my progress and how Royal Caribbean handles the purred foods situation, etc.

Yes - we're on Freedom of the Seas!

I leave in the morning, and thus won't be able to post back to this thread until next Sunday (11/25).

Yay! Have fun! I'm jealous. :)

I am back from the cruise!!! Thank you all for your advice and support before my departure. This cruise was scheduled 5 months ago, and we thought my surgery was going to happen in June, and once delayed we thought it would happen in August. Due to insurance denials and doc's schedule, I had surgery on Nov 8th. Ten days later I boarded this cruise.

Overall, I was so relieved to see how *easy* it was to be on a cruise just 10 days post-op! Ok, here's some of the highlights!

1. Prior to the trip I called Royal Caribbean and discussed my special diet. They allowed me to bring on Protein powers, SF yogurt and Jello packets, FF cottage cheese packets, and drinkable yogurt packets. We stopped off at a grocery store near the dock and picked up these items. We walked right on the ship with them (in grocery bags and clearly visable.) Never once did they ask us about the food. Makes me think I could have brought Snacks and alcohol on previous cruises! They cleared out our mini-bar fridge so we could store these items.

2. Once on the cruise, we requested to me moved to a 2-person table for our dinner meals, and they made it happen. I did not want to have to explain to strangers why I was on a special diet.

3. The head maitre'd took charge and said the wait staff would puree anything on the menu. I just needed to make the selection at meal time.

4. Each night at dinner I was able to always find a clear broth Soup so I ordered that. In addition, I picked an item and they pureed it for me. Typically I selected a salmon or other fish and they pureed it with mashed potatoes. They brought me a large portion, and I was only able to eat maybe 1 cup of it.

5. For Breakfast, oatmeal or soft scrambled eggs were great. lunch was a Protein shake. Between meals I would have a drinkable yogurt or Jello packet.

6. Spa treatments were heavenly. I selected a package that was 4 treatments -- mini-facial, scalp massage, foot massage, and back massage. I told the technician that I was unable to lie on my stomach and would she mind skipping the back massage and instead doing a longer foot massage -- no problem!

7. I was unable to enjoy some of the highlights of the ship -- climbing the rock wall, riding the wave machine, playing dodge ball, etc. I encouraged by hubby to do all of these, and he was thrilled!

8. Doc's orders said no hot tubs, pools, or swimming for at least 2 weeks. I stuck to that. I did swim in the cold pool for a few min on Thursday which was at the 2-week mark. I put a water-proof bandage on the port-scar to ensure it would be protected.

9. Doc said no sun on the scars for at least 1 year. I don't look good in a bikini (at least not yet), so there was no worry of that! I wore a one-piece suit, and while out in the sun put a small towel draped over my belly just to make sure the sun wouldn't reach the scars!

10. I ended up leaving the Magic Bullet at home, and glad I did. I did not need it.

Anyone else thinking of a cruise so soon after their surgery will likely be fine (check with your surgeon), but just be prepared, take it easy, sleep alot, and have a great time!

Banster - I've been waiting to hear how your cruise went....Since Sunday I've been checking...It sounds like it was fabulous!!! I'm thrilled it was so easy for you. I know feel relieved when I take my Royal Carribean Cruise 6 weeks post surgery. That's my first week of starting solid food. I'm nervous I may go overboar (funny) with my eating and of course the wine and drinks....but knowing they will puree maybe I'll try and stick out my mushies one more week and start solids when I get back from the cruise (less temptation). We'll see how the next few weeks go....Welcome back and thank you for sharing all the details....I'm so exicited.

Glad my post helped! You will have a great time 6 weeks post-op on your cruise! Just remember, when you go on solids be sure to introduce only one food at a time. This will take a while as each day you introduce 1 or 2 foods. You could easily do this on the cruise. Not sure what your doc/nutritionist recommends, but mine said to only introduce one food per meal to see what I am tolerating. Best of luck! When is your surgery?