Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honestly didn’t know gas pains can hurt that bad.. after going home I still had really bad pain I thought there was something wrong.. I didn’t think it was the gas because I was walking a lot since the hospital but the doctor said it was the gas .. He told me to get chewable gas-x from over the counter and those were literally life savers it helped me right away!!

16 hours ago, TroyLynne504 said:

Had my gastric sleeve surgery on 2/15 & the gas pain is worse than the pain from surgery! I feel sooooo bloated & uncomfortable.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I have read several people say gas-x helps. I figure it is worth a try.

After all my worry, it was not bad! i did walk as soon as I could and laid with m head elevated.

I too thought since I had 2 c-sec that this surgery would be a breeze.... psych! Not even close. This is so much more painful. The gas I was told is from the the dr putting gas in your body so that they can navigate your inards during surgery. It’s insane and painful. It’s even in your shoulder! But the good news is that it does pass in time. All of this pain is worth the end result. And like having a baby I believe you’ll forget how painful this was when you are back up and running. I’ve already lost over 20lbs in 11 days and that takes your mind off all the other bad stuff.

Congratulations, 20 pounds in 11 days does make you forget the pain!

I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I've had almost no pain since returning home, and nothing I can specifically identify as gas pain (aside from some occasional twinges in my shoulder). I haven't taken anything for pain since leaving the hospital.

And I never had one particle of gas, was it because I was an RnY, maybe Ohio State pumps out all the CO2 afterwards, IDK but don't worry, Karma got me in strange and difuse ways, and I believe I would almost prefered the gas at times. But life does have its twists and turns, but it has to beat the chance of death all hollow. Besides I wouldn't have gotten to be on the internet and meet all you very neat Bari- brothers and sisters. I'm sure I am the only Bypass in my county, nobody to talk to here. And sometimes I can say Jodie, Susie or Janie had that also, they made it through- I can Too!

Gas pain is literally the worst part of surgery. First 3 days I barely slept and just paced my house and driveway to get it out. Once the gas is gone it’s MUCH better.

On 02/20/2019 at 16:33, Goody222 said:

I hope you are feeling better soon. I have read several people say gas-x helps. I figure it is worth a try.

Gas x can help Constipation gas but it doesn’t help the CO2 they pump in to make space for the tools. That you just have to walk off and be patient

I had gastric bypass on 3/7. I didn’t complain about the gas pain because I knew I was going to be there. For me, it was just uncomfortable. I would burp, but I didn’t pass gas until 2 days after my surgery. I’ve heard it can take about a week for all the gases to leave your body. Walk around as much as you can, that helps. I didn’t use gas x or anything like that because the gas pain was from the surgery, not my body.

ask your doctor too, they will be honest with you, even if they didn’t initially mention it. Good luck!

I had mine on Jan 31. When I first got out, it was terrible in recovery. Once in my room and as I started walking, it wasn't bad. I walked whenever I could as it made me feel better.

Yes, we were told about it in our pre-op class and told to expect it, where to expect it, when to expect it, and that walking was the best thing we could do for it.

If it makes any pre-oppers feel better... I didn't have much gas pain at all. Slight discomfort like you'd get if constipated, but that was it really. I woke up from the surgery (when I came back from 'going under') feeling like I'd been hit by a bus but was asleep again 10 minutes later (once I'd spoken to my husband) then I woke again 4 hours later and insisted on getting up out of bed... had a total hot flush... but that was it... was up and walking etc, easy on the first day and felt pretty much normal (though faint from lack of food) by day 2.

I know not everyone is so lucky!!! I don't know if it was because I was super super strict about my pre surgery diet or I just got very lucky or both.

A year later and I get excruciating indigestion that I am trying to solve. So don't hate me- those of you who had the gas post op!

My