Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so this maybe be too graphic but I need help. I have spoken to my physician assistant, & was informed to take a stool softener daily until better. I am having problems having a bowel movement most of the time. I have had to resort to using two teaspoons of epsom salt and hot Water with an 8oz glass of water. I mentioned this in support group and the dietician there made a face that seemed to imply she wished I hadn’t done that, but I don’t know why. I had to leave the group earlier so I didn’t get to ask why is hat bad. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. I had my surgery on 10/8/18, the sleeve. I’m open to suggestions. Before surgery I was a pretty regular persons sometimes going twice a day, & NEVER backed up or stopped up! I actually used to enjoy going with no problems. Now I are such anxiety and distress.

Are you taking Iron supplements? I find that clogs me up quicker than anything. I had rny and do not take the iron. We monitor my levels and so far so good ands no more of this problem lol

Use the glycerin suppositories. It softens up your poop so you aren't pooping granite. I use them a few times a week especially when eating meat. supplements and Protein Powder and lack of Fiber really jack up our systems. I tried colace but I like the faster moving of the glycerin suppository. I've used milk of magnesia a couple of times but it takes over night to work. I don't want to be on laxatives for life or for my butt to forget how to poo so I feel more comfortable with the glycerin, not that it is a joy sticking them up there. I'm only 2 1/4 months out of rny so I hope things work themself out.

@sweettoothless thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to look for that particular suppository. Yes this anxiety sucks so bad right now. It sometimes have me feeling like I wish I didn’t eat because I’m so worried about how is going to come out...you know painful or not. Smh

My surgeon also has me use suppositories for this, as well as milk of magnesia.

13 minutes ago, Courtney86 said:

@sweettoothless thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to look for that particular suppository. Yes this anxiety sucks so bad right now. It sometimes have me feeling like I wish I didn’t eat because I’m so worried about how is going to come out...you know painful or not. Smh

My first poop was more scary and more painful than delivering my first child. And I had no drugs and he had a big melon. Memories of my first poop give me more anxiety than the 2 kidney stones i have to get blasted soon. More pain than the last 6mm stone I passed with no drugs or medication. That's how much I feel your feels. I just bought the cheap glycerin suppositories at Walmart. It is around $4 for a ton of them or $2 for a starter bottle. You pop one in and watch TV or take a hot bath and 15-30 minutes later you have soft serve instead of icicle. That has alleviated a lot of my worries, knowing I dont ever have to granite poo again. (So glad this discussion isnt on fb and we can be totally candid!)

2 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

Any idea why epsom salt and hot Water is may not a good idea?

Well, there are 2 kinds of laxatives: osmotic and stimulants.

Epsom salt is essentially magnesium sulfate, an osmotic laxative that replaces magnesium in the body and essentially causes your GI system to pull more fluids into the poop so you can pass it easier. Think stool softeners: colace and Miralax. I assume she cringed or made a face because use of Epsom salt isn't something we hear too much of in this day/age of products like Miralax. Also, using Epsom salt as a laxative can cause magnesium imbalance (needed for muscle contractions), increases your need for Water, and can lead to dehydration if you're not careful.

Just from reading all the frequent posts on BP about Constipation and how to fight it, everyone has their own method that works for them. Until then, I think we all have a certain amount of anxiety with BMs.

Me, I make sure I take a fiber supplement every day and I drink lots of water. If I miss more than a day, I will take a low dose dulcolax just to keep things moving. I do not wait. Waiting only increases discomfort and makes things more difficult to resolve. *In my first month or 2 after being sleeved, I used milk of magnesia for the same purpose as the dulcolax. I DID NOT want to have to strain with those first few! both Dulcolax and MOM are stimulant laxatives=stimulates the muscle of the intestines to push things along.

I've heard lots of bariatric patients promote Smooth Move Tea. I haven't tried it, but I've had other teas like it. They are also stimulant laxatives and rather powerful ones if you steep the tea long enough.

Hope this was helpful!

@sweettoothless
Thank you for this candid post! I think I will start with the $2 starter kit from Walmart just to test it and if it works like yours did I’ll have a winner! I thought taking the daily stool softener would work but that has not been the case 😫. I have to rid the granite poo! This is my mission lol I am very glad we can have this discussion here as well! 😀😀😀

@ S@ssen@ch thank you for answering me question to clearly! I was getting worried because I wasn’t sure if had done some irreversible damage by going that route. I honestly only knew about his because I remember my grandmother having to do this when I was younger. I may have to venture out and try the suppository that was mentioned earlier and the Miralax/Colace. I am now even more focused on eating more fruits and veggies. This has been a bit frustrating because I was focusing so much on Protein and it’s hard to get both in. I may need to d a fiber supplement as well. The daily stool softener isn’t working as well as I thought it would. Your post was really helpful!! Thank you!

I had a horrible Constipation problem after surgery. Let's just say when I told my doctor about it, he said I should have gone to the ER rather than try to get it out for an hour and a half, bleeding much of the time and tearing things that shouldn't ever tear.

So, he has me taking colase every day. And if it gets bad, take Miralax. The colase is really, really helping. When I raised a concern about not wanting to get to where I couldn't go without meds, he told me that colase was fine, it was laxatives that would be concerning to take every day. I've been regular and easy every day since (although the first day on the colase it boomeranged the other way, but then it evened out.

You have suppositories in every bathroom? I thought I was excessive stashing readiing glasses in every room , because, You,Just Never,know when you might have to read instructions, after all!