Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post op vsg

Hey all!

I’ve been worrying a little bit lately.. and thought I’d come on here to ask/talk about my worries and all the good stuff 😬😂

next week I’ll be 6 months post op from vsg (July 9, 2018). My highest weight was 248. Pre op weight was 235. Current weight is 194. I’m 5’3” with a medium build.

So, I’m down 54lbs total and 41lbs since surgery.

The past two months I have only lost 3lbs per month. Now, I know that’s better than zero.. but I can’t help but be upset that I am only losing 3 pounds a month.

My surgeon/team has my caloric range at 800-1200/ day and I’m averaging 1200. My Protein goal is 60-80 and I’d say I average 80-100. I do consume carbs but generally 100g or less per day. I get around 50 ounces of non caloric Fluid (water and Powerade zero) a day. I’ve just started a solid workout routine. So, hopefully that helps. But I do find it hard to stay within my 1200 range when I exercise. I’m HUNGRY.

Will the weightloss pick up again? Is anyone else hungry ALL THE TIME?!

I didn’t expect my “honeymoon” phase to only last 4 months.

I’m very grateful for the weight that I have lost. I feel so much better already. But I still have 60 pounds to lose and I’m terrified that I won’t make it!

I have my 6 month post op appointment next week and will definitely talk about all of the things I’ve mentioned here but, I wouldn’t be a true millennial if I didn’t ask internet strangers for help, too! 😂😂😂

Congrats on your 6 months of success!!!

My 6 month weight loss was around 3lbs as well. :)

But that was also when I was increasing food volume to 850cals per day up from 600-700/day.

Rationally? I think you are eating at maintenance during a time when you need to be averaging 600-800cals/day. I also think your carbs are too high at 100g and I'd cut the calories from liquids like a bad cold.

I'd go back to basics and see if your weight loss picks back up. But...it could also be the well-documented 6month stall too.

*disclaimer: I have a bias towards a low carb lifestyle and don't play a doctor or RD on tv or the internet.*

Edited by FluffyChix

Thank you fluffychix!

I *try* to keep my calories closer to the 800 range but FAIL. I don’t know why I’m so hungry but I’ll definitely mention this at my appointment next week!

I’ve debated going Keto on and off for a while now and I’m also going to mention that next week at my appointment before diving in. I tried Keto years ago and found it wasn’t maintainable in the long term for me. But.. I’m willing to give it another go. I’m just afraid to gain if I decide Keto still isn’t for me. 😒🙄🤷🏼‍♀️😬😂

I don’t consume liquid calories (minus Protein Shakes here and there) but I do drink Powerade zero and Gatorade zero along with my Water.

I didn’t know there was a 6 month stall!! 😭 lol gracious! I’ve stalled on and off so much already! This process is definitely a mental game! My first stall (3 week stall) lasted about 45 days and my second stall lasted about 35 days 😳.

Thanks for your response and input!!

I am only 2 weeks out but I was told 600-800 calories a day until I reach goal , 60-80g of Protein and under 50g of carbs . Sugar should be Kept to a minimum

i have a friend who did the sleeve and she said she really had to change up her eating and do a lot of weight training to get to goal. Cardio makes u hungry . If u check out dr vuong’s videos on u tube he is quite anti exercise for weight loss , says walking is best .

I also got a book by bariatric doctor matthew Weiner called a pound of cure . He suggests eating a pound of vegetables a day . Both of these doctors such green smoothies for nutrition and weight loss

Protein is what keeps me full. When I eat high carb foods, I can eat more of them than I can eat high protein foods. If you switch the higher carb foods you're eating with lower carb, higher protein foods, it will probably keep you fuller longer.