Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti depressants post op

I’m currently on 60mg of cymbalta and 300mg of extended release Wellbutrin. My psychiatrist said I need to stay on these for the time being.
I haven’t asked my surgeon yet about taking these after surgery.
Can anyone tell me there experience with taking anti depressants after surgery?

Any extended release drug may not work as well. You might talk to your doctor about continuing with it and supplementing it with additional non-extended release Wellbutrin if appropriate.

Okay. Thank you.

I was told I couldn't swallow meds for at least a year without crushing them. You can't crush XR pills, so I've had to reroute my mental health meds. I'm on a liquid bi polar med as of right now and my dr has talked about adding an anti depressant. If I take one, it has to be dissolvable, crushable, or liquid. I have changed my meds so much in the past 8 months because I can't tolerate the crushed up taste the meds leave. I would talk to your surgeon and see what they accept. I hear all kinds of advice on here. Some people are allowed to swallow pills. I have finally been approved to swallow a certain medicine I might be getting on but just because I would only take it for 2 months and its a need, but I've been told to cut them in half and give a break between pills. But it's going to be another month or so before I even get on it.

Ugh. That’s what I’m afraid of. I finally have my meds right. Thanks.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:49, HunterJsMom said:

I’m currently on 60mg of cymbalta and 300mg of extended release Wellbutrin. My psychiatrist said I need to stay on these for the time being.

I was on that same protocol prior to surgery and was switched to regular release Wellbutrin and another drug called Trintellix, after trying Celexa. My program basically said that extended release drugs wouldn’t work post-surgery. Unfortunately, Cymbalta is only available as an extended release.

However, I have heard/read posts from people who still take extended release meds with their doctor’s blessing and have no adverse effects.

It honestly sounds like it varies by practice and doctor. But one thing I will say is talk to whoever is prescribing you the antidepressants, because it’s super important to get this sorted and have a plan. I was running around like crazy trying to figure out what I needed to do, because I was given conflicting information by various doctors/providers

Uh oh. We never explored going off of anti-depressants. Im on 120 grams of Cymbalta, for Fibro, and my pain level from co-current arthritis is unbearable. But, this may be my problem. I've lost 40 lbs. but I need to lose 90 more lbs. and I'm stuck at the 2+ year mark. Not much exercise is going on, due to pain. I'm STUCK

1 hour ago, johnsons13 said:

I was told I couldn't swallow meds for at least a year without crushing them. You can't crush XR pills, so I've had to reroute my mental health meds. I'm on a liquid bi polar med as of right now and my dr has talked about adding an anti depressant. If I take one, it has to be dissolvable, crushable, or liquid. I have changed my meds so much in the past 8 months because I can't tolerate the crushed up taste the meds leave. I would talk to your surgeon and see what they accept. I hear all kinds of advice on here. Some people are allowed to swallow pills. I have finally been approved to swallow a certain medicine I might be getting on but just because I would only take it for 2 months and its a need, but I've been told to cut them in half and give a break between pills. But it's going to be another month or so before I even get on it.

That's wild. I was taking my antidepressants the day after my surgery. Just goes to show... doctors are amusing.

The only day I didn't take my antidepressant was my surgery day. I resumed taking it again the day after. I have had zero issues swallowing pills. Ask your doctor. I know that I wouldn't have been able to just stop taking this pill.

Regular release Wellbutrin 100mg. three times daily, changed after RnY from extended release 159mg twice daily. Nurse practitioner wants to me to ask PCP to switch or put me on a SSRI like Celexa. Lets see what he says, have appointment January 3rd.

Thanks!

I take several medications. For pain, depression and blood pressure. I’m able to take them all orally. If you are able to take cymbalta i salute you! I wish I could! It just makes me nuts as does Lyrica. Not only did cymbalta make me nuts but it caused me to gain weight. I’ve settled in nicely to 40 Mgs of Paxil and clonazam daily to help me through. I had a deep post op depression. Physical changes I guess? Hydro and occasional midol for my fibromyalgia.

I was sleeved 8/18. Pretty sure I was instructed to be off my meds only the morning of surgery. After my surgery I had a lot of trouble with nausea and dehydration for more than a week post op. I couldn't keep much of anything down - food, Water, or any of my meds (mood stabilizers, antidepressants, thyroid meds) which were critical for me to take. After having fluids pumped into me, and also being prescribed some anti nausea meds I finally got back on track. This journey isn't easy so it's especially important to stay connected with your psych and continue to manage your meds along the way. I wish you well.

Interesting. I was never told I had to crush my meds.